Win 7 Home Premium x64
EVGA 122-CK-NF68
nVidia nForce 680i SLI SPP
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 - 3000 MHZ
2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
Western Digital WD75 750GB HD
830 Watt PSU

The problem : all internet browsers will crash at random points and games (LA Noire/Just Cause) crash randomly. For internet browsing, it doesn't matter how many tabs I have open or what I'm doing, it will crash over a wide variety of time frames (5min one time, after 20min the next, etc.). The "aw, snap" screen appears and windows informs me I have to close chrome. Additionally, sometimes it will tell me there is a C++ runtime error. Event viewer returns :

faulting application: chrome.exe, version 20.0.1132.57
time stamp: 4ffb8830
faulting module: chrome.dll time stamp: 4ffb87b1
exception code: 40000015
fault offset: 0050da10
Faulting process: e34
Faulting application start time:01cd611a3e773c50
Faulting application path:
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\20.0.1132.57\chrome.dll
Report ID: 86c1b260-cd12-11e1-80ea-00044b0a1f9f

As for gaming, LA Noire will sometimes crash immediately or 1-2hrs in. Just Cause 2 crashes about 5-10 minutes in. Both kick me back to the desktop with a generic application stopped working Windows error message. Event viewer message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: JustCause2.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 4c1b5791
Fault Module Name: JustCause2.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c1b5791
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 007924f9
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What I've done to try and fix the problem:

-Complete format and re-install Win Home Premium x64
-Complete format and re-install Win XP 32-bit
-Memtestx86 - 12hr run with 1 error during Test 6 Pass 7: Failing address 000222467bc - 546.3mb, Good: c347870e, Bad: c47070e, Err-Bits 00008000, Count:1, CPU: 1. Ran a 2nd time with memory in different position with no errors for 13 hours.
-sfc /scan with no problems with hard drive, as well as error check after re-start
-Update BIOS to latest version
-Swapped PSU's
-Swapped video cards and tested video cards in other machines (they're working fine)
-Swapped RAM in different slots and used different RAM in machine (also verified all RAM working in another machine).
-Add 2 more gb of ram
- Tried running PC with only 1 stick of RAM
-Increased RAM voltage slightly
-Tried turning CPU cores off
-Monitored heat output and temps of all equipment with HWINFO64 (all in normal range)
-PC stress test with IntelBurnTest - all ok
-After clean install of windows, left display and chipset drivers uninstalled, then installed to see if problems remedied (problems with both)
-Tried clean boot
-Uninstalled C++ Library
-Re-installed most recent C++ Library
-Reset CMOS
:o 

All of the above leave me with the SAME problems. Has to be hardware right? Also, NEVER received any BSOD. Originally was running SLI 8800GT's, but am running only 1 card during all this trouble-shooting.

What the heck is going on? I've spent so much time on this and I can't think of anything else but the mother board! Please help :pt1cable: 

More about : totally stumped browsers games crash randomly

a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 12:00:09 AM

Hi :) 

You have NOT tested the hard drive , and i dont mean sfc /scannow << thats only a file checker..

Run a hard drive test in DOS.... Hirens cd etc....

NOT in windows...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 12:39:45 AM

This is obviously a memory problem, just because memtest86 did not pick up any memory errors after you moved the memory around does not mean that the memory is OK. You should buy a cheap 2gig stick of 1333Mhz memory that is on your motherboards compatibility list to test this.
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 1:25:18 AM

i agree with pjmelect
m
l
July 14, 2012 1:57:43 AM

Could be ram, could be thermal check your temps also formatting no longer removes some rootkits/bootkits there are 5 that can survive a format and can cause all kinds of crashing ie. zero access.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 2:14:55 AM

try running hardware monitor or open hardware monitor and look at the chipset temps and voltage of the mb. it could be a cap or chipset issue of the mb.
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:11:41 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You have NOT tested the hard drive , and i dont mean sfc /scannow << thats only a file checker..

Run a hard drive test in DOS.... Hirens cd etc....

NOT in windows...

All the best Brett :) 

Just ran the Western Digital Diagnostics included with Hirens and came back clean (quick and complete runs)

m
l
July 14, 2012 5:14:09 AM

pjmelect said:
This is obviously a memory problem, just because memtest86 did not pick up any memory errors after you moved the memory around does not mean that the memory is OK. You should buy a cheap 2gig stick of 1333Mhz memory that is on your motherboards compatibility list to test this.

I thought this was the case too. I tried a different pair of DDR2 ram from my older computer and the issue was exactly the same (freezing). Even using just one of the current Corsair DDR2's (1x 1gb) had the same crashing. Could it be the contacts in the MB?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 5:34:21 AM

nvidia chipset... few years old...

start looking there, nvidia products flake out after a few years, if everything passes its your mainboard
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:34:54 AM

techguy911 said:
Could be ram, could be thermal check your temps also formatting no longer removes some rootkits/bootkits there are 5 that can survive a format and can cause all kinds of crashing ie. zero access.

Here are pics of chrome crashing along with all thermals right after crash. How do I remedy rootkits/bootkits surviving and knowing whether that's the problem?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7560B2B4C1CAEDC!2881&authkey=!ACP_BSeVJdBAbrQ
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 6:44:27 AM

Quote:
Complete format and re-install Win Home Premium x64
-Complete format and re-install Win XP 32-bit
-Memtestx86 - 12hr run with 1 error during Test 6 Pass 7: Failing address 000222467bc - 546.3mb, Good: c347870e, Bad: c47070e, Err-Bits 00008000, Count:1, CPU: 1. Ran a 2nd time with memory in different position with no errors for 13 hours.
-sfc /scan with no problems with hard drive, as well as error check after re-start
-Update BIOS to latest version
-Swapped PSU's
-Swapped video cards and tested video cards in other machines (they're working fine)
-Swapped RAM in different slots and used different RAM in machine (also verified all RAM working in another machine).
-Add 2 more gb of ram
- Tried running PC with only 1 stick of RAM
-Increased RAM voltage slightly
-Tried turning CPU cores off
-Monitored heat output and temps of all equipment with HWINFO64 (all in normal range)
-PC stress test with IntelBurnTest - all ok
-After clean install of windows, left display and chipset drivers uninstalled, then installed to see if problems remedied (problems with both)
-Tried clean boot
-Uninstalled C++ Library
-Re-installed most recent C++ Library
-Reset CMOS
:o 

Well if you are really sure that the memory is not the problem, and you have done all of the above, then all that is left is the motherboard :( 
m
l
June 17, 2014 12:12:01 PM

Have you resolved this issue at all? I'm having the exact same issue but only started occurring when I clean installed Windows 7. I've recently purchased some new RAM and GPU. I've done 4 memtests on the RAM and no errors come up, no malware. The aspect of it I don't understand is that my computer was working slow with one or two errors here or there but not this annoying before I clean installed it. Does this mean that possibly my HDD broke during the clean install process? This issue seems impossible to solve ;(
m
l
June 17, 2014 7:44:11 PM

CM94 said:
Have you resolved this issue at all? I'm having the exact same issue but only started occurring when I clean installed Windows 7. I've recently purchased some new RAM and GPU. I've done 4 memtests on the RAM and no errors come up, no malware. The aspect of it I don't understand is that my computer was working slow with one or two errors here or there but not this annoying before I clean installed it. Does this mean that possibly my HDD broke during the clean install process? This issue seems impossible to solve ;(

Turns out it was the motherboard in my system. Manufacturer replacement resolved the issues. Hope you figure it out
m
l
June 18, 2014 2:16:33 AM

Hmmm could be the same with mine as my motherboard is a bit old and I've been altering my PC quite a bit so could have damaged it in the process. My browser crashes frequently like yours and a programme called Origin (one of the few programmes I have after clean installing my PC) crashes frequently and I have followed every troubleshooting route suggested online for that and all my web browsers crashing randomly. Think I may buy a new motherboard and if that doesn't solve it simply return it. Cheers for the reply, so hope this solves it as I'm similarly at my ends wits as I've upgraded my PC with new hardware for it to only get worse and try thousands of ways to fix it with zero success.
m
l
June 18, 2014 2:37:54 AM

Did you also get BSOD? I'm not sure if that's due to me overclocking my RAM and CPU a bit or it's the motherboard being a bit temperamental and broke lol
m
l
!