MS Flight Simulator for MSDOS

I have the CD for Microsoft Flight Simulator
for MSDOS and I was wondering if there is anyway
to load or run it on WIN XP Operating System ?
6 answers Last reply
More about flight simulator msdos
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I remember that the DOS versions needed Expanded Memory access for the
    sound. I don't know with any certanty if a Windows XP virtual machine
    can be configured to allow an application to access the Expanded Memory.
    I had to modify the main CONFIG.SYS file to enable expanded memory
    access when I ran FS 5.1 under Windows 95.

    If you have any of the big box computer or office supply chains in your
    area see if they have any of the older versions at a discount. I have
    seen Flight Simulator for Windows 95 and Flight Simulator 98 in seperate
    jewel boxes for less than $10 US each. I have also seen a combo package
    with Flight Simulator 98 and the original Combat Flight Simulator for
    less than $20 US. I have even seen the 2000 and 2002 versions in card
    stock packaging for under $20. these windows versions would be a lot
    easier to get running in addition to the improved graphics.

    gmv wrote:
    > I have the CD for Microsoft Flight Simulator
    > for MSDOS and I was wondering if there is anyway
    > to load or run it on WIN XP Operating System ?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    If you can make a pif file in Win XP you can control
    what type of memory is used for whatever EXE file
    to be used. Or so it seems.
    You make a pif file by right clicking on the exe file
    and changing the properties then if you change
    anything at all a pif file is created.
    Then you run the exe file by clicking on the pif
    file which has a MSDOS logo/icon with the same name
    as the exe file.
    It will let you play with memory types and amounts.
    EMS XMS expanded and extended memories etc...
    And all this time I thought Win XP would not work with
    MSDOS.

    "RobertVA" <robert_c72@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQ3w0YIsEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I remember that the DOS versions needed Expanded Memory access for the sound. I don't know with any certanty if a Windows XP
    >virtual machine can be configured to allow an application to access the Expanded Memory. I had to modify the main CONFIG.SYS file
    >to enable expanded memory access when I ran FS 5.1 under Windows 95.
    >
    > If you have any of the big box computer or office supply chains in your area see if they have any of the older versions at a
    > discount. I have seen Flight Simulator for Windows 95 and Flight Simulator 98 in seperate jewel boxes for less than $10 US each. I
    > have also seen a combo package with Flight Simulator 98 and the original Combat Flight Simulator for less than $20 US. I have even
    > seen the 2000 and 2002 versions in card stock packaging for under $20. these windows versions would be a lot easier to get running
    > in addition to the improved graphics.
    >
    > gmv wrote:
    >> I have the CD for Microsoft Flight Simulator
    >> for MSDOS and I was wondering if there is anyway
    >> to load or run it on WIN XP Operating System ?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    DOS didn't always provide the services some applications required. As a
    result some applications bypassed the operating system and directly
    manipulated the computer's hardware. Under DOS a program normally had
    exclusive use of the computer and this "hands on" approach didn't
    ussually cause problems. In the multiple application Windows enviroment
    that approach can lead to serious consequences ranging from application
    shutdowns to shutdown/lockup of the entire operating system. Windows 9x
    had a DOS Mode that provided a single application enviroment for
    programs that needed exclusive use of the computer. Such programs were
    so old by the time Windows XP was released that exclusive mode was
    discontinued. Programs in DOS or DOS mode wouldn't be able to access the
    NTFS file system on many Windows NT or Windows XP hard disk partitions
    either.

    The default settings in my Windows 98 installation resulted in expanded
    memory not being available to DOS applications running in virtual
    machines, even when shortcut/pif properties were set to allow it.
    Apparently Windows couldn't provide access to expanded memory for the
    virtual machines because it wasn't configured to have access to expanded
    memory itself. The virtual machines were also only makeing about 590 KB
    of conventional RAM available to the application. Some applications
    required 605 KB or more.

    Windows 95 and 98 would respond properly to the same CONFIG.SYS commands
    that made expanded memory available under DOS 6. Furthermore, Windows
    responded to commands to shift the DOS kernal and 16 bit device drivers
    to available Upper Memory blocks, making more conventional memory
    available to the DOS application running in the virtual machine. The
    expanded memory permisions in the shortcut/pif properties would only
    work on my system after these CONFIG.SYS adjustments.

    Shortcuts for DOS mode shortcuts needed some massaging as well. The
    default DOS mode configuration not only lacked expanded memory support,
    it didn't permit use of the CD ROM drive. I ussually hand edited
    shortcut specific CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT "files" for those, but
    could have used regedit to add checkboxes for those functions to the
    properties popup. The procedure was spelled out in books titled "Mother
    of All Windows 95 Books" and "Mother of All Windows 98 Books" that I had
    purchased at a chain bookstore. In addition to a lot of usefull
    information these books had a lot of amuseing sidebars.

    gmv wrote:

    > If you can make a pif file in Win XP you can control
    > what type of memory is used for whatever EXE file
    > to be used. Or so it seems.
    > You make a pif file by right clicking on the exe file
    > and changing the properties then if you change
    > anything at all a pif file is created.
    > Then you run the exe file by clicking on the pif
    > file which has a MSDOS logo/icon with the same name
    > as the exe file.
    > It will let you play with memory types and amounts.
    > EMS XMS expanded and extended memories etc...
    > And all this time I thought Win XP would not work with
    > MSDOS.
    >

    > "RobertVA" <robert_c72@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQ3w0YIsEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>I remember that the DOS versions needed Expanded Memory access for the sound. I don't know with any certanty if a Windows XP
    >>virtual machine can be configured to allow an application to access the Expanded Memory. I had to modify the main CONFIG.SYS file
    >>to enable expanded memory access when I ran FS 5.1 under Windows 95.
    >>
    >>If you have any of the big box computer or office supply chains in your area see if they have any of the older versions at a
    >>discount. I have seen Flight Simulator for Windows 95 and Flight Simulator 98 in seperate jewel boxes for less than $10 US each. I
    >>have also seen a combo package with Flight Simulator 98 and the original Combat Flight Simulator for less than $20 US. I have even
    >>seen the 2000 and 2002 versions in card stock packaging for under $20. these windows versions would be a lot easier to get running
    >>in addition to the improved graphics.
    >>
    >>gmv wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have the CD for Microsoft Flight Simulator
    >>>for MSDOS and I was wondering if there is anyway
    >>>to load or run it on WIN XP Operating System ?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I was able to get the MS Flight Sim 5 for DOS to work
    in Windows XP but the frame rates were all wrong
    Audio Video everything seemed to work but the frame rates
    were all wrong everything moved in doubletime or
    quadrupletime everything moved too fast to be real.
    To run it after installing I just made a pif file that
    set the EMS and XMS to auto then I selected 256 colors
    for the video display all this in the pif file for
    Win XP. I ran the FS5.com program using the pif file
    which shows up with an MSDOS Icon after you create it.
    It sure came came close to working but was not
    playable in its super speed condition.
    Windows XP comes very close to being a great OS
    if only the MSDOS stuff were 100% compatable.
    MS needs to do with its FS5 what ID did with the
    original doom to make it work on Win XP then you could
    have an old program with the WTC on it again.
    I would crash sim planes into the WTC years before
    those terrorists did it for real.
    These Simulators are great for trying things you would never
    try in real life.
    Too bad the FS5 program will not run right on Win XP.
    Whatever is supposed to control the time rate is mucked up
    and does not work right.

    "RobertVA" <robert_c72@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:ei1ItHWsEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >>>virtual machine can be configured to allow an application to access the Expanded Memory. I had to modify the main CONFIG.SYS file
    >>>to enable expanded memory access when I ran FS 5.1 under Windows 95.
    >>>
    >>>If you have any of the big box computer or office supply chains in your area see if they have any of the older versions at a
    >>>discount. I have seen Flight Simulator for Windows 95 and Flight Simulator 98 in seperate jewel boxes for less than $10 US each.
    >>>I have also seen a combo package with Flight Simulator 98 and the original Combat Flight Simulator for less than $20 US. I have
    >>>even seen the 2000 and 2002 versions in card stock packaging for under $20. these windows versions would be a lot easier to get
    >>>running in addition to the improved graphics.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Apparently whatever method FS 5 uses to pace itself doesn't have the
    capability to wait during the many idle clock cycles made available by
    the faster CPU. This is really an application problem rather than an OS
    problem. You appear to be indicating that ID updated Doom to run under
    Windows. Microsoft did the same thing, by producing later versions of
    Flight Simulator that have better abilities to handle, and take
    advantage of, faster CPUs. On my Windows XP system the early Windows
    versions are attempting to display frames so quickly the two digit frame
    rate counter can't display the frame rate! Despite all this speed,
    events in the simulator appear to progress at a realistic rate. Three of
    these versions have NYC scenery depicting lower Manhattan shortly prior
    to their release dates.

    Some aspects of DOS compatability are part of what made Windows 9x/ME so
    unstable. As Windows NT(2000 was NT version 5) was a different OS,
    Microsoft was able to market it with a Command Line window that lacked
    some of DOS's more troublesome annoyances. Windows XP (Home AND
    Profesional) is derived from Windows 2000 and has a similar Command Line
    window with the same intentional limitations. Most Apple Macintoshes
    woun't run Apple ][ versions of Sublogic Flight Simulator either
    (produced by the same programming team as early versions marketed under
    the Microsoft label). Tried putting an N64 cartrage in a Gamecube
    lately? Nintendo had a series of three completely incompatable cartrage
    based consoles before going to their current optical disk based
    configuration. Each generation had different controllers too. And
    Gamecube can't play music CDs or DVDs the way Playstation 2 and Xbox can.

    gmv wrote:

> [...]
    >>out in books titled "Mother of All Windows 95 Books" and "Mother of All Windows 98 Books" that I had purchased at a chain
    >>bookstore. In addition to a lot of usefull information these books had a lot of amuseing sidebars.
    >>
    >>gmv wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you can make a pif file in Win XP you can control
    >>>what type of memory is used for whatever EXE file
    >>>to be used. Or so it seems.
    >>>You make a pif file by right clicking on the exe file
    >>>and changing the properties then if you change
    >>>anything at all a pif file is created.
    >>>Then you run the exe file by clicking on the pif
    >>>file which has a MSDOS logo/icon with the same name
    >>>as the exe file.
    >>>It will let you play with memory types and amounts.
    >>>EMS XMS expanded and extended memories etc...
    >>>And all this time I thought Win XP would not work with

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    One potential way to run DOS programs on a windows XP machine is to run a
    "virtual DOS machine". Check out VMWare to set up a virtual machine at
    www.vmware.com. You do need to have a licensed copy of DOS to use this
    technique.

    "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote in message
    >I have the CD for Microsoft Flight Simulator
    > for MSDOS and I was wondering if there is anyway
    > to load or run it on WIN XP Operating System ?

CD-Rom MS-DOS Games Microsoft Windows XP Video Games