Sign in with
Your question

So, I built a new PC...

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2012 11:21:52 PM

Hello,
So, I just got done building a computer, and I've got my OS. But, I can't load it, because I don't have the disk? It's an ISO image, and I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to do with it! I am clueless when it comes to things like this! If anyone could give me a laymans terms guide, I'd greatly appreciate it!

More about : built

a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 11:43:01 PM

Hi :) 

WHERE exactly did you get the image from ???

All the best Brett :) 
July 13, 2012 11:51:42 PM

use IMGburn to burn the iso file to a DVD disc and make it bootable, hope it is all legit!!!
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 11:55:29 PM

If this is an ISO image of some version of Windows, its legal up to that point (burn the image and boot the new system from the DVD you burned)- but you need a valid license key to activate Windows once installed.
July 14, 2012 1:09:24 AM

It was actually a Ubuntu copy. So, it was free! As it was a first build, I have no experience of loading it from a USB device. I don't have any discs laying around, which has left me pretty stumped!

Yeah, don't worry! I'm not a pirate!
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 1:14:32 AM

MartinDillon said:
It was actually a Ubuntu copy. So, it was free! As it was a first build, I have no experience of loading it from a USB device. I don't have any discs laying around, which has left me pretty stumped!

Yeah, don't worry! I'm not a pirate!

Good to hear! Most people are uncomfortable trying Linux. I've messed around with it but stuck with Windows largely for reasons of compatibility.
July 14, 2012 1:43:04 AM

I have tried both of those, but, when I connect the USB device, to the computer, which has no OS on it, it fails to recognise the image on there. I've tried it with the whole ISO file, and with the folders from it, after I've used one of them programs. Hell, I've even tried a combination of the two!

Yeah, I've been a die-hard windows 7 fan for a while, but, I want to move on! I tried windows 8 on a friends PC, it just wasn't for me at all!
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 2:07:11 AM

did you boot from the USB? (depending on your 'puter you would press ESC or F8 key to select it)
July 14, 2012 3:57:17 AM

Yeah, changed the BIOS etc, so it picked USB first. I've got tho the point now where there screen is black, but there is a flashing '-' in the top left corner. Several times has it shut down at this point
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 4:24:13 AM

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

i have had success with that, makes a bootable usb stick with your favorite flavor.
!