Abnormally slow burn

jbgould

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2003
My computer came with an 8x4x32x CD-RW, which I upgraded about a year ago to a 42x12x48x burner. Ever since I got it, I've never been able to burn a disc in less than 15 minutes. Even when set to function at 42x, it still takes around ten to twenty minutes to create a CD, whether I'm copying, burning audio, or burning data. Recently, however, Nero refuses to recognize that the drive is faster than 12x, and my disc burn ing tomes are closer to 20 minutes. My system is a Athlon T-bird 1.33 with 256 megs of DDR and a 7200 rpm HDD. I have suspicions about a lousy IDE bus, as the computer is a Compaq and doesn't use a great motherboard, but would that cause it to run this slow? Please reply with any suggestions

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
who makes your cd-rw drive? who makes the media you are using, and what is its rated burn speed? in device manager, under the properties of your cd writer, is the dma box is checked (enabled)?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boilermaker on 07/11/03 07:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jbgould

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2003
It's a Lite-on LTR 48125W, sold under a different brand name, if I recall correctly. DMA is unset in the Device manager. I've used it with a variety of media since I've had it, mostly with Memorex black 40x CDR's. I don't use CD-RW's, never have. Oh, and my OS is windows ME, as I forgot to add. Thanks for the interest

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i had the same cdrw drive, branded as a lite on, and didnt have any problems. if you can, try to check the box that enables dma in device manager.

one thing i had to do when i got my drive was update my burining software. i use roxio easy cd creator tho, not nero. i'm not sure how it works with nero, but my drive wasnt supported in roxio until i updated to creator version 5.32.something or other. you may want to try updating your software if you havent already.