How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ??

Last response: in Home Audio
June 20, 2005 11:19:34 AM

How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ??

Ive got one of those Dvd/Stereo Combo systems with Speakers
connection. 5.1 the system supports DTS and Dolby.

I dont want to buy another set of speakers so i want to runt he TV
though the same speakers and my Combo system.

How would i go about doing this. The Tv has many Audio inputs and
video outputs. Would it be as simple as connecting a cable from audio
out on the Tv to one of the Audio ins on the Stereo. And if i did that
when ever i turn the Tv on would the sound come ot automaticly on the
Stereo and the speakers. And i could control the volume via the
volume controls via the stereo. And maybe some of the 5.1 preset sound
options Surround Sound ect.

Thanks for any help.

/pS getting the TV tommorow and just would liek to know these things.
Dont mnd getting another set of speaker sfor the TV but if i dont need
them. Will stop the Clutter of speakers everywhere :)

Thanks.

More about : dts dolby sound

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:19:35 AM

> Would it be as simple as connecting a cable from audio
> out on the Tv to one of the Audio ins on the Stereo.

If you all you want to do is play your TV through the main system, that's
it.

> And if i did that when ever i turn the Tv on would the sound
> come ot automaticly on the Stereo and the speakers.

Not until you select the input on the amp that handles the TV sound.

> And maybe some of the 5.1 preset sound options Surround Sound ect.

The TV's output is strictly two-channel. You can get regular Dolby Surround
from it, but nothing else. Not Dolby Digital or DTS.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:19:35 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:19:34 +1000, Kate Jackson
<KateJackson2004@2332.com.au> wrote:

>How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ??
>

>Ive got one of those Dvd/Stereo Combo systems with Speakers
>connection. 5.1 the system supports DTS and Dolby.
>

>I dont want to buy another set of speakers so i want to runt he TV
>though the same speakers and my Combo system.
>
>How would i go about doing this. The Tv has many Audio inputs and
>video outputs. Would it be as simple as connecting a cable from audio
>out on the Tv to one of the Audio ins on the Stereo. And if i did that
>when ever i turn the Tv on would the sound come ot automaticly on the
>Stereo and the speakers. And i could control the volume via the
>volume controls via the stereo. And maybe some of the 5.1 preset sound
>options Surround Sound ect.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>/pS getting the TV tommorow and just would liek to know these things.
>Dont mnd getting another set of speaker sfor the TV but if i dont need
>them. Will stop the Clutter of speakers everywhere :)

Do you have a Hi-Def cable box? Details matter here because there
just isn't any general answer. Does your Combo system have either
a coax (orange RCA jack, usually) or optical audio input? Does the
cable box and/or your DVD player have either one as an output?

This connection is what you'll need to get 5.1 working.

If you're really Kate Jackson, I'd guess that you'd have no lack
of volunteers to drive to Hollywood to sort this little issue out...

Good fortune, and keep the newsgroup updated,

Chris Hornbeck
June 20, 2005 11:19:35 AM

Kate Jackson wrote:

> How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ??

Try asking this question in a group that specializes in home theatre
audio, like alt.home-theater or alt.audio.theatre-sound or even
alt.tv.tech.misc.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:56:54 PM

From what i have been reading in posts no TV does DTS ????

That true ?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:06:23 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>> Would it be as simple as connecting a cable from audio
>> out on the Tv to one of the Audio ins on the Stereo.
>
>If you all you want to do is play your TV through the main system, that's
>it.
>

>> And if i did that when ever i turn the Tv on would the sound
>> come ot automaticly on the Stereo and the speakers.
>
>Not until you select the input on the amp that handles the TV sound.
>

>> And maybe some of the 5.1 preset sound options Surround Sound ect.
>
>The TV's output is strictly two-channel. You can get regular Dolby Surround
>from it, but nothing else. Not Dolby Digital or DTS.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:56:55 PM

Kate Jackson wrote:
> From what i have been reading in posts no TV does DTS ????

Try a websearch looking for one which offers that feature. Good luck.

(I'm not convinced there's anything worth watching on TV, never mind
listening to.)
!