hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I'm down to deciding memory and power supply for my PC Jukebox. This box will be my audio/video center; normal PC use and gaiming are of no consideration.

The machine is shaping up with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MoBo, thining the ASUS 9520VS Video Card, Thermaltake V1000A case, lots of harddrives (EIDE to start with, SATA later), and a good power supply. Now I need to choose the memory. I would like to take advantage of Dual Channel by running twin 512MB sticks. Could overclock if there's an advantage. I've always bought the cheap stuff. What would y'all recommend, be specific please, for good memory.

TIA

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Always something...forgot to mention the AMD 2600 CPU, at least enough for the 333 bus speed. Also, research seems to indicate the Antec TruePower 480 or 550 are the power supply to be. This site is great :)

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I think 1 GB is too much for a media center, and you can still take advantage of the dual channel by using 2 sticks of Corsaid TWINX, to be spacific - CMX256A-3200LL. It's exactly what i got.
But i have an interesting ideal for you. Buy a microsoft Xbox for $150 get it modded for another $50-$75 and install XBMP (Xbox Media Player). The Xbox already has a great 3D card (it's irrelavent that it's 3D) that will give a great picture on a TV. you also need to install a HD, and than you can transfer files using a home LAN, if you install Evox you will have an FTP server on the Xbox.
I did it and it was defenatly worth it, and it will cost you probably a third of a computer, maybe less. the reason is that microsoft loses a tone of money on every Xbox it sells so people will buy Xboxes and then be compelled to buy the games...
And also, XBMP reads any file format (music, MPEG-1,2,3,4), but i will have a problem with reading CD-Rs (CDs are OK) so if you want to read CD-Rs you'll need to change the DVD that comes with the Xbox.
Try it out!

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?

TRENDING THREADS