msnook

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
Hi everyone im new to these boards but i have a seemingly complicated question about system specific memory.
My setup is a Pentium 4 2.0 Gateway OEM setup
with 256 mb of RDRAM 800mhz, geforce 4 ti4600

now for the question i have
it is obviously time to upgrade my ram and i am confused on which memory to choose, should i go for run of the mill standard memory, such as kingston 256MB PC800-40 Non-ECC 8-Device RIMM * 2, or should i go with the so called system specific memory from gate way (strangley enough still manufactured by kingston) KGW4600/512 512MB RIMM RDRAM KIT(Kingston's KGW4600/512 is a set of two 256MB RIMM modules configured for some of the Gateway E-4600SE, Performance 1300-1500xl, and Professional S sytems. )

What are the benefits, if any, of system specific memory?
Im planning on upgrading within the next year but still want to be able to use this machine. Should i just go run of the mill or the system specific.

Any help will be greatly apprectiated.
Thanks all

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
system specific memory...there is no real system specific memory...whichever is cheeper (gateway or kingston) would be fine...they are probably exactly the same modules.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, this is true. But there were some occasions where memory compatability was questionable. Like, LX/BX/ZX/TX chipsets have a certain limit on density, yet when I pulled some high end Crucial memory out of my BX board it wasn't "compatable" with my friend's IBM LX board (showing up at half size). I think it was a BIOS issue, as another module of even lower density was unread.

So buying memory specifically for your system insures you get memory that's within spec for your system, even if you have an oddball system. But such instances of incompatability are very rare, and Gateway uses standard boards.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>