Sound editors for ac3.

Last response: in Home Audio
June 20, 2005 7:14:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Are there any sound editors for files with .ac3 extensions. I couldn't use
SoundForge or Vegas to edit them. Or at least is there a tool that converts
them to WAV files? Thanks.

--Leonid

More about : sound editors ac3

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:14:18 PM

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
> Are there any sound editors for files with .ac3 extensions. I couldn't use
> SoundForge or Vegas to edit them. Or at least is there a tool that converts
> them to WAV files? Thanks.
>
> --Leonid

I've always had good luck converting to wav files using Ac3Decode from
www.ac3dec.com

Mike
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:35:35 PM

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote in message
news:D 96mg9$o24$3@news3.bu.edu...

> Are there any sound editors for files with .ac3 extensions. I couldn't use
> SoundForge or Vegas to edit them. Or at least is there a tool that
> converts
> them to WAV files? Thanks.
>
> --Leonid

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&biw=1260&q=conve.... I
believe AC3 is surround format so you'll probably need something to convert
them back into the AC3 file:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&biw=1260&q=conve...
June 20, 2005 9:11:30 PM

In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida <kujfam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: I've always had good luck converting to wav files using Ac3Decode from
: www.ac3dec.com

Thanks. What would you use to convert WAV to AC-3 2.0? I tried Sony's Vegas,
but haven't been able to check the quality of conversion.

The reason I need it is I'm trying to choose whether I should go with Dolby
Digital soundtrack AC-3 2.0 448kbs or with mp2 soundtrack encoded with tooLame
at 384kbs for the DVD I'm making.

--Leonid
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:10:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida <kujfam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: I've always had good luck converting to wav files using Ac3Decode from
: www.ac3dec.com

Hi Mike,

I tried this ac3 decoder that you recommended, but it didn't do a good job at
all. The quieter high frequencies were filtered and the lower high frequencies
were boosted up. I had Gain1 and Gain2 both set to 0. I then tried BeSweet and
that was excellent converting from ac-3 to wav. But thanks for the help anyway.

BeSweet doesn't do a good job converting from wav to ac-3 though so I will
stick with DVD Architect one.

--Leonid
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:15:49 AM

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
> In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida <kujfam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> I've always had good luck converting to wav files using Ac3Decode
>> from www.ac3dec.com
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I tried this ac3 decoder that you recommended, but it didn't do a
> good job at all. The quieter high frequencies were filtered and the
> lower high frequencies were boosted up. I had Gain1 and Gain2 both
> set to 0. I then tried BeSweet and that was excellent converting from
> ac-3 to wav. But thanks for the help anyway.
>
> BeSweet doesn't do a good job converting from wav to ac-3 though so I
> will stick with DVD Architect one.
>
> --Leonid

Thanks for bringing the frequency issue up Leonid. I ran a converted file
through Sound Forge's spectrum analysis tool and was quite surprised
(disappointed) to see the result :-(

Mike
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:35:15 PM

In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: Thanks for bringing the frequency issue up Leonid. I ran a converted file
: through Sound Forge's spectrum analysis tool and was quite surprised
: (disappointed) to see the result :-(

Use BeSweet.

--Leonid
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:58:32 AM

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
> In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida
> <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Thanks for bringing the frequency issue up Leonid. I ran a
>> converted file through Sound Forge's spectrum analysis tool and was
>> quite surprised (disappointed) to see the result :-(
>
> Use BeSweet.
>
> --Leonid

I've tried it before but, even with the GUI, AC3Decode is so much easier.
Oh well, time to look again at quality versus convenience, I guess :-)

Mike
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:25:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In rec.video.desktop Mike Kujbida <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: I've tried it before but, even with the GUI, AC3Decode is so much easier.
: Oh well, time to look again at quality versus convenience, I guess :-)

It's got GUI now and you just need to setup Settings once and use it as sorta
template. Speed is approximately the same for both.

--Leonid
!