Flight Simulator 2002 - Limited User in XP vs. Administrat..

My son is a limited user account on Windows XP. I have installed the Flight
Simulator 2002 but when he tries to access it, it says it can not be used by
a limited user, it must be accessed by an administrator. The only way he can
play it is to right click and say "Run As" and have one of the administrators
input their password and he plays like he is them.
Is there any way to allow him to play as himself instead of one of us
having to sign in for him?
Oh, and I tried the other type of help and I need the Product ID # and I
can't even locate it. The help file doesn't have a menu bar like other
software. Where do I find the Product ID #?
1 answer Last reply
More about flight simulator 2002 limited user administrat
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    JaleeH wrote:

    > My son is a limited user account on Windows XP. I have installed the Flight
    > Simulator 2002 but when he tries to access it, it says it can not be used by
    > a limited user, it must be accessed by an administrator. The only way he can
    > play it is to right click and say "Run As" and have one of the administrators
    > input their password and he plays like he is them.
    > Is there any way to allow him to play as himself instead of one of us
    > having to sign in for him?
    > Oh, and I tried the other type of help and I need the Product ID # and I
    > can't even locate it. The help file doesn't have a menu bar like other
    > software. Where do I find the Product ID #?

    You should be able to edit the registry.. Click Start, Run, type
    Regedt32 and click OK. Find the game and use the menu items to give
    full rights to the individual, or everyone. I don't have XP so direct
    you exactly.. Here is a post I found that might help:

    Go to Start --> Run --> regedt32.

    Bring to the forefront the window named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on local
    machine.

    Expand the folder named Software.
    Find your application.
    Highlight the folder with your app name.
    On the tool bar, go to Security --> Permissions.
    Add an account or group (local or domain - I'm not sure
    how your network is setup), and give them full control.
    Do the same for HKEY_CURRENT_USER on Local machine. Follow
    the same steps as above. Your application might not be
    listed. Don't fret.

    Close the registry editor, and test your changes.

    This is a general idea of what to do. Sometimes, this
    method isn't enough, as the registry changes you need to
    make are buried even deeper. Generally, this problem can
    always be fixed by finding the right registry key, and
    assigning the appropriate permission. I've had great luck
    with this method, and only a few times has it not worked.
    In that case, I ran a registry scanner, opened the
    program, had the program not work, then dug through the
    subsequent report to find what wasn't able to be opened.

    Good luck. Let me (us) know if you are successful.
    Patrick Pitre

    Others:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=accessed+by+an+administrator+xp+regedt32&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en

    Change the parameters to improve the search results.

    --
    +Elmo_Tech

Microsoft Windows XP Video Games