Virtual airlines

I'm trying to join a virtual airline. My application has been denied many
time because I'm using yahoo or hotmail. Can someone explain to me why I
need to have a private account to be able to participate?

because of the massive number of people with fake email addresses that join
and never do anything.
People with a real email address are at least somewhat mature and therefore
more likely to be reliable.