What could cause digital audio signal oscillation?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 22, 2005 1:45:06 AM

While recording a harmonica into my Alesis HD-24 I got a pronounced
pulsing/oscillation type signal. At first we though there was spit in
the harmonica. When I went into the recording room it was clearly not
present in the harmonica. I traced the problem to the return from the
HD-24 coming through a toslink connection into the factory ADAT optical
input of my Tascam DM-24 console. When I switched to an analog signal,
it no longer happened. I returned to the digital input and tried
decreasing the digital attenuation. I got less signal but no less of
the undesired signal affect.

The toslink cable was purchased at a consumer audio store but was not a
cheapie.

The problem was most audible only on certain notes on the harp and as
stated, was not part of the recorded signal.

Any thoughts?

peakester
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:58:38 AM

peakester@earthlink.net wrote:
> While recording a harmonica into my Alesis HD-24 I got a pronounced
> pulsing/oscillation type signal. At first we though there was spit in
> the harmonica. When I went into the recording room it was clearly not
> present in the harmonica. I traced the problem to the return from the
> HD-24 coming through a toslink connection into the factory ADAT optical
> input of my Tascam DM-24 console. When I switched to an analog signal,
> it no longer happened. I returned to the digital input and tried
> decreasing the digital attenuation. I got less signal but no less of
> the undesired signal affect.
>
> The toslink cable was purchased at a consumer audio store but was not a
> cheapie.
>
> The problem was most audible only on certain notes on the harp and as
> stated, was not part of the recorded signal.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'd bet that you are somehow summing two identical signals within your
digital mixer, one direct and one returned from your disk recorder. If
there's some slight latency between the two, it would affect the audio
exactly as you've described it.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:50:07 AM

Thanks. Good thought.