4X AGP graphics cards

russ33

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2003
Hi,Can someone please suggest the best 4x video cards that are currently available. I wish to upgrade from my Voodoo 3000, and my MB will support up to 4X AGP. MB is a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854-BIOS 1.07, 866Mhz slot 1 processor, 896 MB SDRAM PC-133 CL-3,HD Western Digital 30GB 7200 Ultra ATA 100 w/ Promise Ultra 100 Tx2 controller, WIN XP Pro OS.At this time I do not wish to buy an 8X card that will only run at 4X. Let me know if this is a wise decision or not. What I am hoping to find is the best 4X AGP card that this MB will support. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Russ

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Don't worry about AGP 4x vs. 8x. No difference between the two at this point. Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB is what I would recommend, but that might be a bit of overkill for your system.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
At this time I do not wish to buy an 8X card that will only run at 4X

That would be extremely poor judgement speaking. The best cards for your system are all either AGP8x/4x or AGP8x/4x/2x. You don't loose performance by running these cards at 4x, so why complain?

A great value would be a Radeon 9500 Pro. It's 8x/4x/2x. Even near the bottom, the MX440 (based on 3 year old technology) is now 8x/4x/2x. Are you saying that you'd rather have the older 4x/2x version, even though the cards are nearly identicle and have the same performance? This makes no sense. So explain yourself thoroughly so I can prove your misperceptions wrong!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endwarde

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Ok, sorry to butt in on this thread, but I would like a verification if I could...

My vid card died on me last night (a GF4 4600Ti) and now I am scrambling to figure out what to order quickly to replace it. My MB will only handle up to x4 AGP, so I need to verify that all cards listed at AGPx8 are all backwards compatible with slower AGP speeds... I am looking to probably buy a MSI FX5600-VTDR128 or 256 card, and if someone could let me know if that will work on my board, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endwarde on 07/17/03 10:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All current AGP8x cards are AGP4x compliant. Most are also AGP2x compliant.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>