D drive Issues

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I am new here and I made a thread about issues with my D drive in the CPU board but it seems to have been deleted or moved.

Anyway I am using windows 7 and I recently cleaned up my C drive as it was getting full, I deleted files and moved some to my D drive. There were no issues really until I changed the name of one of my folders which I transfered to the D drive. This folder is inside another folder with other folders and contain graphic design work so it is important.

Basically I cannot open any files in this folder or the folder it is in etc. Every other folders in my D drive are fine, I don't get it. I am doing a full scan now and have been for about 90 minutes and it is 13% complete.

Also if I try to open the shortcut I have on my desktop to the folder the same thing happens, it pauses before I can open a file, then the screen goes black gives me a message that I have screen saved and then returns back to normal. Even if I right click the folder and look at the roperties this can happen..

Mods, if you are going to delete or move this again please let me know where it has gone, thanks Tom

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
You know what is funny, earlier as I was deleting folders from my C drive I loked up about owning a folder, yet I have not tried it on this one yet. I will give it a try. Also for the past week or so my net/adobe programs etc have been not responding for about 10-30 seconds when opening or changing sometimes. Thanks for the reply.

Testdisklogo_clear_100.png
TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Again thanks for the reply. I know that the files have not been erased as I have glimpsed at the folders before getting the boot. So if that is the case what do you suggest? The thing is with me is I know a lot about graphic design etc, but little about actual HTML and computing lol. I will also first try to take ownership of the file and see what goes down. BTW, my virus scanner is at 19% and has a detection, not 'suspicious' or 'warning' or 'hidden' but a file has ben detected.

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Already have them on USB, but it is just annoying you know, trying to open this one folder that contains multiple folders that are important. ATM I am a little tipsy by the way so all of the processes above I cannot complete, maybe even when sober, I am not too skilled with computing, just designing and using the programs for it.

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Seeing as I have just woken up at 6am soberish and wthout a hangover, I am going to try this. I have the original files on my USB because I backed it all up about 3 days ago. I will delete the corrupt files and then replace them with the 3 days old ones... Maybe it will work who knows.

tomtom55

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Nope, could not even delete the folder. I tried running the testdisk to recover files but it says this 'The program can't start because cygwin1.dll is missing from your computer' what does that mean?