Asus a7v333, WinXP and GF4 problem. Please Help

jonp

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
All,

I am having all kinds of problems getting my PNY Geforce4 4400 card to work with
WinXP (it does 2d fine but any d3d app will lock it and boot to desktop).

Last night, I decided to remove all my cards in my machine (aside from NIC card and
GF4 card) and reinstall XP.

Upon completion of that, I downloaded a GF4 tweak utility and set everything to
safe (2x, no sidebanding, no look ahead writing, no vga pallete snoop) and still had
the same problems (I am using the Nvidia ref drivers from their website which I believe
are 28.xx).

Upon looking in the IRQ's assigned, I noticed that my NIC card and GF4 card were sharing
IRQ's. Is that a bad thing?

I have not installed the new VIA 4in1 drivers yet but have tried the latest Nvidia drivers (29.xx)

The company I ordered from is sending me a new card so I can test that today. If that does not
work, should I try and buy another brand GF4 card or do you think they will be a waste of time.

Oh yeah, here are my specs:
Asus a7v333 (no raid and v1006)
512 megs of OCZ pc2700 ram
PNY Geforce4 4400
SB Live Platinum (not in box right now)
3com NIC card
Entermax 350W PS
WinXP (fresh install)
2 ide ata100 harddrives (if that matters)

I appreciate all help as this is driving me nuts. I have tried the above
system with a Geforce2 GTS card and it works fine in 2d and d3d.

TIA
jonp

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
uh, current 4in1 drivers are a must. Nic and graphics should DEFINITELY be on different irqs. Try slapping the nic card down to irq 5 and set graphics to irq 11. Put your usb controllers on 5 with the nic too. Graphics alone on 11 is generally a safe bet. If you ahve to you can put sound card on 11 with graphics. but not preferred. Depends how much stuff you have. Is that the one with the integrated sound? Try disabling the sound, thats my bet on the problem.

Hope i've helped you a little bit.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.