Sign in with
Your question

Sleeps while working

Last response: in Windows 7
July 14, 2012 2:27:29 PM

I have a gateway pc that has reecently started sleeping or hybernating while I am working on it and wont wake back up without a hard start (power off power on) I have set the screen and sleep modes set to never and the comp stays powered up and lights are solid not blinking when it blacks out. Is their additional settings that I can address to stop it from sleeping / hybernating all together? or something else I can try please help

More about : sleeps working

July 14, 2012 2:44:49 PM

sanddogg said:
I have a gateway pc that has reecently started sleeping or hybernating while I am working on it and wont wake back up without a hard start (power off power on) I have set the screen and sleep modes set to never and the comp stays powered up and lights are solid not blinking when it blacks out. Is their additional settings that I can address to stop it from sleeping / hybernating all together? or something else I can try please help

Is this a laptop or desktop?

If a laptop, then you may have a failing charger or a failing battery; if a desktop, it might be a failing power supply. Those are my first thoughts when presented with those symptoms.

When the machine sleeps/hibernates does it close down gracefully or just switch off suddenly. Are you literally working on it, i.e. using the mouse or keyboard, at the very moment it sleeps?

Q
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:12:31 PM

It is a desk top. I purchased a new power supply about 3 months ago due to another problem. When it suts down it switches off suddenly. For example when it has shut down I was atempting to down load music in one instance and in another I was transfering data to a eternal hard drive. During each instance I did not have my hands on controls but was watching the activity of the tasks I was performing
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 5:45:00 PM

sanddogg said:
It is a desk top. I purchased a new power supply about 3 months ago due to another problem. When it suts down it switches off suddenly. For example when it has shut down I was atempting to down load music in one instance and in another I was transfering data to a eternal hard drive. During each instance I did not have my hands on controls but was watching the activity of the tasks I was performing

when you restart do you ever get the black screen menu asking if you want to start safe mode due to a bad shut down?
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:56:05 PM

yes I do
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:30:15 PM

I think your computer is nit sleeping but dying. The most common cause I have seen for this is an overheating processor. Check your fans are working and clear the dust out of the system step 1.
m
l
July 14, 2012 9:27:56 PM

The computer is a year old???? and step 2?
m
l
!