SQUARED OFF Waves in FS2004

I just installed an ATI 9800 video card and frame rates in FS2004 are ~50-60
FPS with the scenery and terrain sliders maxed out. Awesome!

Problem now is that the waves against the shore no show up as squared off
(large pixilated) blocks and look anything but realistic.

How can I adjust this?

Ed
9 answers Last reply
More about squared waves fs2004
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    "Ed McGovern" <govsu2@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Problem now is that the waves against the shore no show up as squared
    > off (large pixilated) blocks and look anything but realistic.
    >
    > How can I adjust this?

    Silly question: Do you use the newest drivers for the ATI card? Most
    problems come from outdated drivers...

    HTH

    Thomas
    @EDDV
    --
    http://www.suchanhannover.de
    please use the eMail address listed on the web page.

    Brand new Catalyst 5.3 drivers are loaded. I thought the same thing and
    checked again too.

    Ed

    "Thomas Suchan" <valid_email_but_I_wont_read_it@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    > "Ed McGovern" <govsu2@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Problem now is that the waves against the shore no show up as squared
    >> off (large pixilated) blocks and look anything but realistic.
    >>
    >> How can I adjust this?
    >
    > Silly question: Do you use the newest drivers for the ATI card? Most
    > problems come from outdated drivers...
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Thomas
    > @EDDV
    > --
    > http://www.suchanhannover.de
    > please use the eMail address listed on the web page.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I have a HP XW4100 OEM system except for:
    1. Upgraded to a P4 3.0Ghz processor running on a 800MHz FSB
    2. ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 128MB AGP graphics card.

    An example of the image is here: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~emcu2/

    I have run FS2002 before but not on this system and did not have this
    trouble. As a matter of fact, I did not have this problem with FS2004 on
    this system before I upgraded the CPU and AGP card. I suspect the new video
    card and either its settings (defaults, btw) or the settings I have in
    FS2004. Both are obscure to me - hence, I'm here.

    I really don't consider going back as an option though, as I did NOT have
    this problem when this current system was running the stock P4 2.4GHz CPU
    and an add-on ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 7200 AGP card. Everything looked pretty
    good then but frame rates only averaged about 12-15 FPS at max settings.

    Now everything (except the waves!) looks AWESOME and frame rates are 30-60
    depending on the amount of weather I inject. I'd kind of just like to
    discover the trouble I'm having rendering the wave animation and keep the
    hardware status quo.

    Up front thanks for any assistance.

    Ed

    "Thomas Suchan" <valid_email_but_I_wont_read_it@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    > "Ed McGovern" <govsu2@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Problem now is that the waves against the shore no show up as squared
    >> off (large pixilated) blocks and look anything but realistic.
    >>
    >> How can I adjust this?
    >
    > Silly question: Do you use the newest drivers for the ATI card? Most
    > problems come from outdated drivers...
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Thomas
    > @EDDV
    > --
    > http://www.suchanhannover.de
    > please use the eMail address listed on the web page.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    "Ed McGovern" <govsu2@yahoo.com> wrote in

    Hi again,

    > Now everything (except the waves!) looks AWESOME and frame rates are
    > 30-60 depending on the amount of weather I inject. I'd kind of just
    > like to discover the trouble I'm having rendering the wave animation
    > and keep the hardware status quo.
    >
    > Up front thanks for any assistance.

    Try this:

    Try to rename your fs9.cfg to something like fs9.cfg.old. FS will then
    create a new fs9.cfg. Start FS9, set all Display Hardware sliders to max
    (or your preferred setting) and slew to your "test location".

    a) If the problem doesn't exist anymore, this may be an occurence of a
    strange "bug" within FS9, which seems to use old graphics card settings.

    To prove this, look in FS9 at the Display - Hardware Tab and write down
    the profile's name (mine is 'nVidia GT 6600.0'). delete the fs9.cfg and
    rename the fs9.cfg.old back into fs9.cfg (or copy it, one always should
    have a backup of this file!)

    Edit the fs9.cfg file and look for all lines beginning with
    [DISPLAY.DEVICE. (including the stop marks).

    Delete each section beginning with DISPLAY.DEVICE. that does not fit the
    string you wrote down some steps before. (my setting would be
    [DISPLAY.DEVICE.nVidia GT 6600.0] I would keep this and delete all
    others)

    Be sure to delete the whole section (up to, but not including the next
    line beginning with an "[" ) and not only the one line.

    b) if the problem continues to exist even with a fs9.cfg from scratch, I
    would check with dx9diag if the DirectX is ok (use DX 9.0c), or try to
    install an older graphics card driver. I found some "new" nVidia
    Detonator drivers not working properly with some games, especially when
    new functions for new graphics cards have been implemented recently. IMHO
    nVidia and ATI are using the graphics card owners as beta testers for new
    driver functions...

    HTH

    Thomas
    @EDDV
    --
    http://www.suchanhannover.de
    please use the eMail address listed on the web page.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Hi guys,

    I came across your thread whilst still looking for a cure for the same
    problem. I have the "squared off" waves as well as other graphic effect
    errors: 'display' smoke (CTRL+I), contrails and dirt thrown up by rolling
    over grass etc all appear as very basic 2D items or as large "blocks" with
    no fine effect showing.

    My system is a middle of the road setup with an ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics
    card. I don't think the problem is with the graphics adapter - I started
    FS9 in safe mode, which I believe uses software instead of hardware to
    render the graphics?, and the squared off waves etc are still there - or not
    there!!

    My system was displaying all these items correctly but I have been adding
    quite a few downloaded aircraft and I fear that one of these packages may
    have corrupted a file. I suspect something may have overwritten a file with
    an earlier (FS2002?) "updated" version. I don't know - I'm a bit stuck now
    and will have to try a reinstall.

    Hope you're having more luck than I am!

    PS the creation of a brand new fs9.cfg didn't help... at least not in my
    case.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    >I came across your thread whilst still looking for a cure for the same
    >problem. I have the "squared off" waves as well as other graphic effect
    >errors: 'display' smoke (CTRL+I), contrails and dirt thrown up by rolling
    >over grass etc all appear as very basic 2D items or as large "blocks" with
    >no fine effect showing.
    >
    >My system is a middle of the road setup with an ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics
    >card. I don't think the problem is with the graphics adapter - I started
    >FS9 in safe mode, which I believe uses software instead of hardware to
    >render the graphics?, and the squared off waves etc are still there - or not
    >there!!
    >
    >My system was displaying all these items correctly but I have been adding
    >quite a few downloaded aircraft and I fear that one of these packages may
    >have corrupted a file. I suspect something may have overwritten a file with
    >an earlier (FS2002?) "updated" version. I don't know - I'm a bit stuck now
    >and will have to try a reinstall.
    >
    >Hope you're having more luck than I am!
    >
    >PS the creation of a brand new fs9.cfg didn't help... at least not in my
    >case.

    All this rather look like corrupted effect files, locate them on the
    CD in one of the cab files and copy them over in the FS9\effects
    folder...

    ===
    Katy P.
    MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

    Visit Project Magenta!
    http://www.promagenta.com
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I'm interested in the Radeon 9200SE, could you tell me how well it performs
    in FS2004. And how realistic FS with the Radeon is?

    Thanx,
    jkb
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    jkb,

    I'm fairly happy with the 9200SE's performance although my Celeron-based
    system probably isn't doing it justice. I bought the Radeon card (128MB)
    because I'd iinstalled FS2004 and it can display some fine details although
    I have problems getting a balance between high quality dense graphics and
    decent frame rates - again I think this is the rest of the PC, not the
    graphics card... and possibly part of the fun that everyone does when trying
    to "tweak" performance? Solution - spend more money!

    Note: my machine doesn't have an AGP slot so I'm running the PCI bus version.

    Hope this has been of some use

    Al N
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Thanx a lot! I am running a Celeron D 2.4GHz(overclocked to 2.8GHz)system
    and I do have a AGP port. It has 256MB DDR333 RAM and a 5400rpm Maxtor Hard
    drive. Do you think that my machine would perform well with a AGP 9200SE?
    Thanx again

    jkb

    PS: Does the 9200SE have Hardware Transform and Lighting?

Graphics Cards Microsoft Video Games