How to create "chapters" in a long WAV or MP3 file?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 23, 2005 7:03:05 PM

Hi! ..... My english not so good but anyway I
will try ......
What program/s can you use and how to
edit one long WAV or MP3 file (speech or music)
to either split it up or to create clips you can skip
to add at various "tag" points in the file so a CD
player could skip to the audio clip required
after CD or DVD burning ?
I have access to "Nero Wave Editor 2" and
" iMagic Audio Editor "
Any links to FAQs on this subject would be a
great help.
TIA
June 23, 2005 7:03:06 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:03:05 +0800, Dave <david_niar@tm.net> wrote:

>Hi! ..... My english not so good but anyway I
>will try ......
>What program/s can you use and how to
>edit one long WAV or MP3 file (speech or music)
>to either split it up or to create clips you can skip
>to add at various "tag" points in the file so a CD
>player could skip to the audio clip required
>after CD or DVD burning ?
>I have access to "Nero Wave Editor 2" and
>" iMagic Audio Editor "
>Any links to FAQs on this subject would be a
>great help.
>TIA

There are many ways. One way, you already have the software. Nero
Burning ROM can do this when burning CD's. make one long wav file and
when burning click on properties / indexes. limits and splits. Put
splits where you want track marks and click OK. If you don't want 2
seconds gap between tracks, click properties again and set pause to 0
on all except first track.

I hope this helps. Please try it!

Julian
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:03:06 PM

Dave wrote:

> What program/s can you use ... to
> edit one long WAV or MP3 file (speech or music)
> to ... split it up

Most any editor (including the ones you have) will split WAV files.

mp3DirectCut will do this for MP3 files (without decoding & re-encoding)
<http://www.mpesch3.de/&gt;
Related resources
June 23, 2005 7:03:07 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:37:21 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
wrote:

>mp3DirectCut will do this for MP3 files (without decoding & re-encoding)
><http://www.mpesch3.de/&gt;

Thanks Kurt!

I've been trying to figure out how to take a wav file I have that is
about 60 tracks long and burn it as an MP3 disk without having to cut
it into 60 little pieces first and save each track individually.

I assume this will do the trick once I convert the wav to mp3?

Julian
June 24, 2005 3:44:24 AM

wrote:

>mp3DirectCut will do this for MP3 files (without decoding & re-encoding)
><http://www.mpesch3.de/&gt;

Kurt,

Can you offer me a little quick advice how to do this? I've been
fooling around with the program and so far no success.

Thanks,

Julian
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:20:03 PM

Julian wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:37:21 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
> wrote:
>

>> mp3DirectCut will do this for MP3 files (without decoding & re-encoding)
>> <http://www.mpesch3.de/&gt;
>

> I assume this will do the trick once I convert the wav to mp3?

Why not split the WAV file first and then encode the individual sections?
June 29, 2005 2:28:35 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:20:03 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
wrote:

>Julian wrote:
>> I assume this will do the trick once I convert the wav to mp3?
>
>Why not split the WAV file first and then encode the individual sections?

The file I want to split is already 4 hours long and needs 85 cuts. I
don't want to cut and paste and save 85 times! I did get the
mp3directcut to work just great after I realized there was a step
missing, that the help file wasn't very clear on. Saved me a lot of
time.

Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me
crazy.

Julian
June 29, 2005 2:57:30 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:28:35 -0700, Julian I wrote:

>Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
>audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
>times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
>exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
>audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
>out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me

I guess I should clarify by large wav file, I mean a whole CD's worth,
80 minutes or less, 16/44. I really would like some help on this one!

Julian
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:12:28 AM

mp3 trackmaker by heathco works, but it's a bit of a pain to use. you
have to know exactly where each file begins and ends, it doesn't do it
automatically or anything, at least the version i have.

Saul
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:54:50 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:57:30 -0700, Julian
<JulianPAdamsNo@SpamHotmail.Com> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:28:35 -0700, Julian I wrote:
>
>>Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
>>audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
>>times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
>>exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
>>audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
>>out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me
>
>I guess I should clarify by large wav file, I mean a whole CD's worth,
>80 minutes or less, 16/44. I really would like some help on this one!

What other programs have you tried? cdwave.com? Load file into
cdwave (this is the slowest part, it takes a minute or so, it scans to
creat an envelope just like any other app that displays audio), set
your split points. From there you can either save as lots of small
..wav files (the slow way), or save as a .cue file which references the
original file (look at the .cue file in a text editor, you'll see how
it works), and burn with a program that will use a .cue file (such as
cdrwin).
CDwave cuts on 1/75th second marks, so it always gives you an exact
even number of sectors per track (so if you're separating tracks from
a live recording there's no click between tracks from a partial
sector).

>Julian

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
July 3, 2005 8:53:48 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:57:30 -0700, Julian
<JulianPAdamsNo@SpamHotmail.Com> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:28:35 -0700, Julian I wrote:
>
>>Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
>>audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
>>times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
>>exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
>>audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
>>out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me
>
>I guess I should clarify by large wav file, I mean a whole CD's worth,
>80 minutes or less, 16/44. I really would like some help on this one!
>
>Julian

So Julian, are you haveing an luck to how to take
a large MP3 file and with no cutting it, but can edit and
you can skip to the next "track" ..... actually some internal
"marker" file instead of many many files but actually all
is just one long lecture ..... ?
Because if you have many files, file nameing also will
become messy and it can play back "out of order" if
not done properly...... :-p
Thank you.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:53:49 PM

"Dave" <david_niar@tm.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:57:30 -0700, Julian
> <JulianPAdamsNo@SpamHotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:28:35 -0700, Julian I wrote:
>>
>>>Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
>>>audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
>>>times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
>>>exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
>>>audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
>>>out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me
>>
>>I guess I should clarify by large wav file, I mean a whole CD's worth,
>>80 minutes or less, 16/44. I really would like some help on this one!
>>
>>Julian

Julian, I don't know what step you are missing, but I use Audition (and
CoolEditPro before it) and Shift F8 will place a marker on the time line in
edit view that will be recognized by Nero. In other words, it isn't the
software per se; the software works.

Steve King
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:55:02 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:54:50 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:57:30 -0700, Julian
><JulianPAdamsNo@SpamHotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:28:35 -0700, Julian I wrote:
>>
>>>Now, if Arny or someone else would just tell me why I can't get
>>>audition to split a large wav and burn a CD like I've done hundreds of
>>>times in cool edit, I'll be happy. The process he describes is
>>>exactly the way I used to do it in cool edit but it don't work in
>>>audition and I don't know why. I've spent hours trying to figure this
>>>out and I just cant find which step I'm missing. It's driving me
>>
>>I guess I should clarify by large wav file, I mean a whole CD's worth,
>>80 minutes or less, 16/44. I really would like some help on this one!
>
> What other programs have you tried? cdwave.com? Load file into
>cdwave (this is the slowest part, it takes a minute or so, it scans to
>creat an envelope just like any other app that displays audio), set
>your split points. From there you can either save as lots of small
>.wav files (the slow way), or save as a .cue file which references the
>original file (look at the .cue file in a text editor, you'll see how
>it works), and burn with a program that will use a .cue file (such as
>cdrwin).
> CDwave cuts on 1/75th second marks, so it always gives you an exact
>even number of sectors per track (so if you're separating tracks from
>a live recording there's no click between tracks from a partial
>sector).
>
>>Julian
>>

>-----
>http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley

Would the new file be able to be saved as a single MP3 file
with various preset 'tab points' you could skip to? .... I think
not ..... not yet afaik anyway ..... perhaps a future enhancement
of the MP3 standard will include this feature. All it will require is
some sort of software generated "cue file" that is created during the
editing phase and integrated into the MP3 envelope as a sort
of "TOC" sector ....... a "MP3-V2" ? if you will. .......

There is a crying need for someone to create this feature .... not
so much for songs, but as an aid for navigating those huge files
with many topics and sub-topics.

MP3 related Software developers, take note ! ..... :-)

/racer007
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:07:25 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:55:02 +0800, Racer <racer007@tm.net.my> wrote:

>Would the new file be able to be saved as a single MP3 file
>with various preset 'tab points' you could skip to? .... I think
>not ..... not yet afaik anyway ..... perhaps a future enhancement
>of the MP3 standard will include this feature. All it will require is
>some sort of software generated "cue file" that is created during the
>editing phase and integrated into the MP3 envelope as a sort
>of "TOC" sector ....... a "MP3-V2" ? if you will. .......

ISTR there are extra tag ID fields in mp3 files that are either
there already, or that can be added (and current mp3 players skip over
as non-music data fields - I know you can embed lyrics in mp3's), so
the capability exists to do this while maintaining compatibility with
current mp3 players.

>There is a crying need for someone to create this feature .... not
>so much for songs, but as an aid for navigating those huge files
> with many topics and sub-topics.

Would it be too much trouble to have 90 mp3 files that a player
would play sequentially, but you could skip ahead or through with the
'next track' button? CDwave can save up to 99 .wav files (at least
that's the CD standard, perhaps CDwave could do more), and they can be
batch-converted to mp3's then batch-transferred to a player.

>MP3 related Software developers, take note ! ..... :-)

It's probably not a big deal to do, and definitely should be on
someone's to-do list.

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:30:28 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:07:25 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Would it be too much trouble to have 90 mp3 files that a player
>would play sequentially, but you could skip ahead or through with the
>'next track' button? CDwave can save up to 99 .wav files (at least
>that's the CD standard, perhaps CDwave could do more), and they can be
>batch-converted to mp3's then batch-transferred to a player.

Hi Ben! ..... No trouble at all but would the resulting single MP3
file be able to be skipped to the following selection within the same
mp3 file when "next track" button is used...... will it Ben ?
Would it not simply skip to play the next MP3 in the folder ?

>>MP3 related Software developers, take note ! ..... :-)
>
> It's probably not a big deal to do, and definitely should be on
>someone's to-do list.
>
>>/racer007
>
>-----
>http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:53:01 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:30:28 +0800, Zoran <zoran@hotpop.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:07:25 GMT, Ben Bradley
><ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>

>> Would it be too much trouble to have 90 mp3 files that a player
>>would play sequentially, but you could skip ahead or through with the
>>'next track' button? CDwave can save up to 99 .wav files (at least
>>that's the CD standard, perhaps CDwave could do more), and they can be
>>batch-converted to mp3's then batch-transferred to a player.
>>
>Hi Ben! ..... No trouble at all but would the resulting single MP3
>file

No, this would not be a single mp3 file, it would be MANY small mp3
files.

>be able to be skipped to the following selection within the same
>mp3 file when "next track" button is used...... will it Ben ?

Is that what you really want, one big mp3 you can skip around to
various tagmarks in? That's what you wrote earlier, but I'm trying to
suggest something that gets the functionality you're asking for,
though it's not neccesarily in a single mp3 file.

>Would it not simply skip to play the next MP3 in the folder ?

Yes, it would. Is that a problem with what I suggested?
I dunno, I don't have a portable mp3 player, but if playing
consecutive mp3's in a playlist doesn't work just like a CD player
playing consecutive tracks on a CD or CDR burned as disk-at-once (they
play continuously as if they were one file), then the person(s) who
designed/made the mp3 player (IMHO) didn't do their job.

>>>MP3 related Software developers, take note ! ..... :-)
>>
>> It's probably not a big deal to do, and definitely should be on
>>someone's to-do list.
>>
>>>/racer007
>>
>>-----
>>http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:00:53 PM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:53:01 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:30:28 +0800, Zoran <zoran@hotpop.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:07:25 GMT, Ben Bradley
>><ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Would it be too much trouble to have 90 mp3 files that a player
>>>would play sequentially, but you could skip ahead or through with the
>>>'next track' button? CDwave can save up to 99 .wav files (at least
>>>that's the CD standard, perhaps CDwave could do more), and they can be
>>>batch-converted to mp3's then batch-transferred to a player.
>>>
>>Hi Ben! ..... No trouble at all but would the resulting single MP3
>>file
>
> No, this would not be a single mp3 file, it would be MANY small mp3
>files.
>
>>be able to be skipped to the following selection within the same
>>mp3 file when "next track" button is used...... will it Ben ?
>
> Is that what you really want, one big mp3 you can skip around to
>various tagmarks in? That's what you wrote earlier, but I'm trying to
>suggest something that gets the functionality you're asking for,
>though it's not neccesarily in a single mp3 file.

The problem, Ben, is one of the programs I want to record as a
single MP3 file is a (approx) 3 hour motivational "Audio Book"
titled "Rich Dad Poor Dad" that is presently on a 3 CD volume
set .... this could fit into 1 CD in MP3 format except one couldn't
skip to the topics of interest or to the point where one stopped
at the last time.
It's just a problem waiting to be addressed and solved.
Your feedback and views are, of course, appreciated.....
thnx!

!