2 Slaves on one cable

Zoeymae

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Am I reading the articles right, in that a SATA would have to be the second master if you have an IDE hard drive also? Is there any way to set two (2) slaves on one IDE cable? My system BIOS doesn't find my SATA hard drive as primary even tho it is using only that hard drive. If it doesn't find it in BIOS, will it always make the second hard drive the primary hard drive, even if the second hard drive is slaved?

Hope someone was able follow all that!

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
yes, the IDE connection is being used as the first boot option by the bios. Even if it's set as slave it's on the IDE cable and the bios will make the next bootable drive. No you cannot have 2 drives set as slaves on the same IDE channel. See if the bios can be changed to use the SATA drive the first boot device.

Gran

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?

Zoeymae

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Okay....this is crazyness.....If I get another Serillel2 converter for the other hard drive (which is also a Seagate) and another ATA cable, can I just connect the second hard drive as a second (slave jumper) on the SATA slots of the ABIT NF7-S 2.0 MB? and then stick my three cd-roms on the IDE cables?

Thank you

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
I guess it should bge alright. But there should be a way to boot from sata hard drive even if a IDE hard drive is installed. Better check with the mfg regarding BIOS settings to enable sats booting

Zoeymae

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah.....I checked all the BIOS settings...SATA is enabled. In my humble opinion, I think that MB's should be able to have multiple slaves, I have a full tower case that can hold multiple drives. Anyway, I think thats what I'll do if I cant figure this out. Doesn't anyone out there have the ABIT NF7-S MB with a SATA drive???

pat

Expert
In BIOS, enable 'boot other device' and for primary boot device, put SCSI. IT is like this on my mobo, a Soltek, and sometime, other controller, like Promise , show up as SCSI in device manager. This way, I can boot from my SATA RAID array.

Maybe this will not be like this in your BIOS, but maybe that something like that is there.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!