Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 extremely slow OS

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 14, 2012 10:13:23 PM

Hello Again,

My motherboard is Intel DG965RY, I have 2 sticks 2GB DDR2, my GPU is EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB GDDR5 Memory, my hard-drive is a Seagate Barracuda w/ 2TB capacity and a 64MB cache. My CPU is Intel Core 2 Dou E4400 2.0GHz. The diskdrive, graphic card, Operating system, and RAM were all upgrades, including the power supply, which is a Dynex DX-520WPS. Everything else I had for about five years. The motherboard and CPU are next to replace, pending money.

Buy I also have my old diskderive connected, with my old OS still on it. Because my Win7 x64 OS runs like 10x slower than my old Window XP 32 bit I continue to use it until all my critical programs are installed, and my new Windows 7 run better than it is now.

After I installed Windows 7, it started out running slower than a turtle. It does EVERYTHING slow! I tried shutting down background processes but I don't know which to close. I ended up losing my internet and sound so I restarted most of the processes. I wand to add 4GB more of RAM but if my old XP can run smooth with only 2GB then it's probably not a RAM issue.

What can I do to make the thing run "normal?"

p.s. -- I'm beggining to thing everything from microsoft after Wikndows XP is comparatively crap :fou: 

More about : windows extremely slow

a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 10:44:54 PM

us ms-config and under the start up tab turn every thing off. you may have so many things running at start up your running out of ram. also check that you dont have two anti virus or two mail ware running they will hang a system up.
m
l
July 18, 2012 6:40:29 AM

smorizio said:
us ms-config and under the start up tab turn every thing off. you may have so many things running at start up your running out of ram. also check that you dont have two anti virus or two mail ware running they will hang a system up.
I tried that the first time I ran into trouble and it didn't make any difference. And as for the memory use it is only using no more than 30% RAM at any given time. But it is a beast with CPU use. I'm reading 90% - 99% half the time and rarely below 25%. I'll look into that again but the last time I did it stopped vital programs for networking and sound.

I use Comodo as my anti-virus and I haven't installed any anti-spyware software yet. On my older disk I have Comodo for anti-virus and PC Tools Spyware Doctor and they don't conflict. And even if these background programs are running they shouldn't caused freezing and slowdown like this. I don't know what "two mail ware" means, sorry. But I can rule out ALL the software because that's how Win7x64 was running right at the start.

I even replaced the new hard drive with another because I thought there was something wrong with the old one, only to find out the same thing happened with the replacement one. Did I mention the long hours it took to install Win7x64? No one should have this much headache.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 12:20:49 PM

Well...a 4000 series C2D is a bit on the low end these days, but should run Win 7 faster then you are seeing...
m
l

Best solution

a c 352 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 1:38:22 PM

How long after you installed Windows did things start to slow down? Did you install all the drivers for your motherboard?

Windows 7 is not slower than XP, I'm sure everyone else will tell you the same thing. I have 7 running on laptops from 2005 that have 1.6 gig Pentium M CPUs with 1.5 gig of RAM, it runs just fine.
July 19, 2012 3:50:10 AM

hang-the-9 said:
How long after you installed Windows did things start to slow down? Did you install all the drivers for your motherboard?

Windows 7 is not slower than XP, I'm sure everyone else will tell you the same thing. I have 7 running on laptops from 2005 that have 1.6 gig Pentium M CPUs with 1.5 gig of RAM, it runs just fine.
My new OS started slow during, and after installation, all three times. And sometimes it will freeze and I'd have to kill the power to my PC.

I'll have to check to see which drivers for my motherboard were installed. If I remember I stopped at installing
the "MQ96510J.86A.1669.BI.zip" file from the Intel website because the system warned that it can harm my computer. And I was afraid of installing the version 1761 BIOS file "MQ96510J.86A.1761.BI.zip" one since alot of complaints of problems with that one, resulting in referring back to the version 1669 BIOS. I just don't want to have to start all over again.
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:21:02 AM

hang-the-9 said:

I went to the Intel website and downloaded "IntelĀ® Chipset Device Software installer" and installed the updates. My system run a little better but Internet Explorer is still trouble and the PC still hangs after some use and I have to wait 10 mins - 1 hr before it unfreezes. I haven't installed the "version 1761" BIOS update yet.
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:28:25 AM

smorizio said:

I went to ms-config and there's only two programs checked. And the services programs I only have the essentials. I don't think that's the issue at all. Besides, it didn't work last time I even in safe mode.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:30:40 AM

I think I figured it out ! ! ! I heard somewhere that having more than 2GB of RAM will cause the system to run funny. So I pulled one of the RAM chips out and now it runs great! I don't know why 2GB makes it run better than 4GB, but it seems to do the trick. Thanks everyone.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:33:51 AM

Best answer selected by xylophone3.
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 1:32:00 PM

xylophone3 said:
I think I figured it out ! ! ! I heard somewhere that having more than 2GB of RAM will cause the system to run funny. So I pulled one of the RAM chips out and now it runs great! I don't know why 2GB makes it run better than 4GB, but it seems to do the trick. Thanks everyone.

That is not true at all, any new computer out now has 4-6 gig of RAM. You could have had an issue with one of the memory modules though.
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:55:09 AM

hang-the-9 said:
That is not true at all, any new computer out now has 4-6 gig of RAM. You could have had an issue with one of the memory modules though.
The modules are OK. I've switched them around every which way. Even the DIMMs are OK. I've ran my WinXP-x86 with 2 2GB modules and it actually improved my OC. But with my Win7-x64 it's really slow and unstable.
m
l
!