Is the PCM70 still relevant?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 24, 2005 3:09:56 AM

Hello to you all

I'm looking at a near mint PCM70. It's going for AU$1200. I see they
go on ebay in the US for about 600. Thats more like AU$900. They are
not 'rare' here but don't come up very often on the second-hand market.
I used one alot in the late 90's - & loved it. Tracks I mixed with it
back then still sound ok to me now. I played with it today and it still
impressed with it's quality (slight output noise aside). What was then,
(in NZ) pretty wiz bang is now probably more utility. But my gut
feeling is that with that box they got it right. I guess these days you
would use it more for bread & butter than special fx as there's so many
more wild & wacky stuff available in software - but does the software
ENDURE?

I've always been a hardware guy - I've been toying with going over to
the dark side (software) for cash vs fidelity reasons, but I still can't
dig the interface (glowing screen) and unreliability issues (insert your
story here) not to mention RSI!!!

I make mostly indie & experimental sounds at my project studio. This is
not my day job. What it boils down to is this.... will a PCM70 lock
one into 80's sounds & aural aesthetics.... or is it still an
enourmously useable great sounding piece that with an eye to
experimentation, one can bend to any modern sound. (DRY is very in
vouge these days don't you think?) Any PCM70 users out there have
success with small dry sounds with that box?

I played with it today with a sine/square oscillator. In about 20mins I
probably made 12 sounds I would want to sample - with just the V2
presets! And I'm not afraid of programming. Have I answered my own
question? What do you think?

peace. Simon.

More about : pcm70 relevant

June 24, 2005 3:09:57 AM

Thing you gotta remember is that you are buying something that's been
around for years already. I'm not talking sonics but the chips inside
the thing. You know, caps dry out, chips go bad, and so forth. If it
were cheaper than who cares. But $600 is a goodly amount of dough.

Years back I sold my 70 for a Lex 300L. You can do a lot more with a
300 and the sound imo is wonderful for a Lexicon box. Plus the Larc
impresses the hell outta people and it is great - you get to sit in the
mix position and futz away with all the parameters. It even has a
digital in and out.

You may want to check the price difference with a used Lexicon 300 or
300L. They sell for less than what I think they are worth.

Sorry for getting you to consider spending more $$ ;>

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com

In article <42BAB4A4.65ED54D6@spin.net.au>, Simon
<simonjohnlearDontSpamMeImeanIt@spin.net.au> wrote:

> Hello to you all
>
> I'm looking at a near mint PCM70. It's going for AU$1200. I see they
> go on ebay in the US for about 600. Thats more like AU$900. They are
> not 'rare' here but don't come up very often on the second-hand market.
> I used one alot in the late 90's - & loved it. Tracks I mixed with it
> back then still sound ok to me now. I played with it today and it still
> impressed with it's quality (slight output noise aside). What was then,
> (in NZ) pretty wiz bang is now probably more utility. But my gut
> feeling is that with that box they got it right. I guess these days you
> would use it more for bread & butter than special fx as there's so many
> more wild & wacky stuff available in software - but does the software
> ENDURE?
>
> I've always been a hardware guy - I've been toying with going over to
> the dark side (software) for cash vs fidelity reasons, but I still can't
> dig the interface (glowing screen) and unreliability issues (insert your
> story here) not to mention RSI!!!
>
> I make mostly indie & experimental sounds at my project studio. This is
> not my day job. What it boils down to is this.... will a PCM70 lock
> one into 80's sounds & aural aesthetics.... or is it still an
> enourmously useable great sounding piece that with an eye to
> experimentation, one can bend to any modern sound. (DRY is very in
> vouge these days don't you think?) Any PCM70 users out there have
> success with small dry sounds with that box?
>
> I played with it today with a sine/square oscillator. In about 20mins I
> probably made 12 sounds I would want to sample - with just the V2
> presets! And I'm not afraid of programming. Have I answered my own
> question? What do you think?
>
> peace. Simon.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:07:07 AM

Yes you want it. They are awesome

Adam Calaitzis
Toyland Recording Studio
www.toyland.com.au
June 24, 2005 7:46:48 AM

Jay-atldigi wrote:
> I still like the 70 a lot. People often think about it first for the
> reverb, which remains useful, but better still, the six delay lines can
> feed much creativity with multi-tap delays, super-thick choruses &
> flanges, delay/chorus combos etc. It's different from today's-all-in-one
> super multi-FX boxes and can bring something unique to the table.

Two words... Rich Chamber
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:03:07 AM

--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite

david wrote:
>But $600 is a goodly amount of dough.
>
> Years back I sold my 70 for a Lex 300L. You can do a lot more with a
> 300 and the sound imo is wonderful for a Lexicon box.

Well is a Lex 300L *that* cheap now?

> Plus the Larc
> impresses the hell outta people and it is great - you get to sit in the
> mix position and futz away with all the parameters. It even has a
> digital in and out.

I think you can still impress people with a remote with a PCM70, as
the MRC Midi remote control does have I believe a preset in the 3.0
software for controlling the PCM 70.

Will Miho
Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES
June 25, 2005 2:52:47 AM

In article <1119632337.531894.87380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
WillStG <willstg@aol.com> wrote:

> david wrote:
> >But $600 is a goodly amount of dough.
> >
> > Years back I sold my 70 for a Lex 300L. You can do a lot more with a
> > 300 and the sound imo is wonderful for a Lexicon box.
>
> Well is a Lex 300L *that* cheap now?

Hi Will. I'm pretty sure a 300 used can be had for under 2K. They used
to cost double that new. Don't know what they sell for new today. Don't
even know if they still sell both the 300 and the 300L.

> > Plus the Larc
> > impresses the hell outta people and it is great - you get to sit in the
> > mix position and futz away with all the parameters. It even has a
> > digital in and out.
>
> I think you can still impress people with a remote with a PCM70, as
> the MRC Midi remote control does have I believe a preset in the 3.0
> software for controlling the PCM 70.

I bought a MRC for my 70 back then. It had multiple cables going into
it and was a too light, cheapo feeling box. If my memory is right one
of the cables was the wall wart. And surprise, the MRC did not control
all the 70's parameters.

Working with it felt physically cheesey, like it was made by Hasbro (a
client of ours ;>). I wasn't impressed for long and got rid of the MRC
after a couple months use. Keep the 70 acourse. The least Lex coulda
done was made it work with only one cable.

Like a Larc. Which comes with that really long, very nice cable and the
box itself is solid. Damn nice tool.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island