slowing notebook...what would u do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avicenna

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I've only use my acer aspire 5672WLMi for a couple of months but it seems the performance has decline greatly...how great? it affects the music that I played (really annoying lagging and skipping music), the cursor movement not smooth (can even feel the drag), i can't even play games with this kind of problems...when I first have it, i can still play oblivion with only negligible hiccups...but now, it has become a really BIG hiccups...I've already run disk defragmentation, freeing some RAM using software, but the problem still persist...what else should I do?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Get a startup manager program like "Ultimate Startup manager" and check what files are loading at start up. Eliminate the extra un necessary programs.

Check for viri and malware.

Get a registry repair tool and compactor.

Check the disk free space of your system.

avicenna

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
ok...so i've done those things...but the problem still occur...plus...there are an extra harddisk partition called PQService and when I stick in a usb drive, suddenly, there is a floppy disk drive...i've scanned but no virus and spyware...

avicenna

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
what's MFT ? after defrag, about 23.8 GB free out of 44.3 GB...could u put it in a simpler term? i'm still amateur...

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
MFT is the master file table, Diskeeper will automatically do it all for you so it isn't s complicated as it sounds.

If the system is that slow, and the drive is defraged, registry doesn't have extensive errors, there isn't malware on it, it has to be background processes running from startup programs.

Use control + Alt + Del then click the processes tab
fro there you can click the column of the programs that are running to sort them by the CPU usage and the memory usage. That way you can see what is running on your system, and how many resources are being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.