studio vs. live recording

I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.
17 answers Last reply
More about studio live recording

    Beer/ Gobos/Friends ???

    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    > In article <1119541761.224838.239520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > Josh <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote:
    > >I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    > >and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    > >sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.
    >
    > Put everyone together in a big room and have them play together. You
    > may need to sacrifice some isolation, and you may need to compromise
    > and retrack some things (especially vocals) but the point is that by
    > playing together you maintain the groove where the performers can work
    > together and riff off of each other.
    > --scott

    Indeed this is (or at least *was*) done for quite a bit of rock
    recording. Some setups I worked on and others that I saw being done had
    the guitars and bass in the room together with the drums, but their
    amps were in iso rooms, and everyone was on headphones. I think it's a
    reasonable compromise so that a good degree of isolation is acheived,
    but the rhythm players feel the live drums in their guts and everyone
    has eye contact. I've always felt that it's pretty impossible to play
    any kind of music without those things. Of course it's done, but IMO
    there's alway something missing.

    Karl Winkler
    Lectrosonics, Inc.
    http://www.lectrosonics.com

    Josh wrote:
    > I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    > and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    > sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.

    Check out the way Garth Richardson tracks things some times. Everyone
    together in the same room, amps sealed away somewere ( iso box or other
    room), no headphones. Uses a PA for all the monitoring. just like
    playing a show for the band. He trys to use phase canceling to keep it
    outta the drum mics.

    Its a pretty crazy set up. I probably wouldnt atempt it. But it you had
    a place to set up were you could afford the time to "trial and error"
    you could probably get some good results.

    nace

    Hello Josh,

    Most of what I record are live performances, a couple sessions from
    rehearsals, and only a few isolated individual tracks projects.

    We'll tap off of either a couple banks of DI-800's (Link or unbalanced
    Outs) at the stage or off a patch panel at the FOH booth. We'll try
    to get each source on it's own track but sometimes need to do some
    submixing. A couple room mics are included. The easiest is when the
    room mics alone get a good grab of the entire number. Electronic drums
    are clean to work with but a couple overheads will work. Gets
    cumbersome sometimes if effects are added downstream from the taps. A
    touch of audience in the mix can be good...

    Regards,
    Andy

    and have some people throwing stuff and yelling "AC/DC"

    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    In article <1119541761.224838.239520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Josh <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote:
    >I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    >and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    >sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.

    Put everyone together in a big room and have them play together. You
    may need to sacrifice some isolation, and you may need to compromise
    and retrack some things (especially vocals) but the point is that by
    playing together you maintain the groove where the performers can work
    together and riff off of each other.
    --scott

    well hell... We recorded our tracks all in the same room together, amps
    turned down a bit to reduce bleed, threw out those as scratch tracks
    and then overdubbed everything onto the drums. My mixes end up sounding
    sterile. Too clean. Take a listen and maybe you can tell me what I am
    doing wrong:

    http://www.turntofall.com

    > In article <1119541761.224838.239520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > Josh <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote:
    > >I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    > >and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    > >sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.
    >
    > Put everyone together in a big room and have them play together. You
    > may need to sacrifice some isolation, and you may need to compromise
    > and retrack some things (especially vocals) but the point is that by
    > playing together you maintain the groove where the performers can work
    > together and riff off of each other.

    And bring a small audience into the studio.

    Peace,
    Paul

    Josh <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote:
    >well hell... We recorded our tracks all in the same room together, amps
    >turned down a bit to reduce bleed, threw out those as scratch tracks
    >and then overdubbed everything onto the drums. My mixes end up sounding
    >sterile. Too clean. Take a listen and maybe you can tell me what I am
    >doing wrong:

    What you're doing wrong is overdubbing everything and throwing out the
    original tracks. The bleed is your friend and properly used, the bleed
    can help the sound a lot. And the overdubs never have quite the same
    feel as the original track.

    Try making a mix from the scratch tracks and then one from the overdubs
    and compare the two.
    --scott

    "Josh" <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote in message news:1119567670.586961.131020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > well hell... We recorded our tracks all in the same room together, amps
    > turned down a bit to reduce bleed, threw out those as scratch tracks
    > and then overdubbed everything onto the drums. My mixes end up sounding
    > sterile. Too clean. Take a listen and maybe you can tell me what I am
    > doing wrong:
    >
    > http://www.turntofall.com

    I don't have to hear it to know that "groove" can only come when the
    whole band is jamming together.

    In article <pVMue.5460$G4.568@trnddc09>, MAMS\ <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com>
    wrote:

    > I don't have to hear it to know that "groove" can only come when the
    > whole band is jamming together.

    I've found that guys who play a lot together live can lay great grooves
    even while overdubbing.

    And the best acoustic rhythm guitar track I ever recorded was cut as an
    overdub last holiday season. It's feel is stunning.

    The guy who played it (Stu Kimball) had spent the year touring with
    Dylan. And it was at the end of a long day of overdubs to boot!

    David Correia
    Celebration Sound
    Warren, Rhode Island

    CelebrationSound@aol.com
    www.CelebrationSound.com

    "Josh" <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote in message news:1119541761.224838.239520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    > and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    > sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.

    What studios have you tried? What live venues have you recorded in?

    --
    David Morgan (MAMS)
    http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

    "Josh" <googlemyass@undertone.com> wrote
    > I love the isolation and clarity of a studio recording, but the energy
    > and feeling of a live one. How can I get the energy and vibe of a live
    > sound in a studio mix? This is for a hard rock band.

    Invite a whole lot of groupies into the control room for the recording
    sessions.

    Anthony Gosnell

    "David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

    > I don't have to hear it to know that "groove" can only come when the
    > whole band is jamming together.

    The Beatles recorded Abbey Road in overdub mode. I thought that record had a cool vibe and a groove.

    PapaNate

    "Papanate" <nospamagain@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have to hear it to know that "groove" can only come when the
    > > whole band is jamming together.
    >
    > The Beatles recorded Abbey Road in overdub mode. I thought that record had
    a cool vibe and a groove.

    > PapaNate

    It's easier with 10 albums under the belt.

    Predrag

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:26:15 +0200, Predrag Trpkov wrote:

    > "Papanate" <nospamagain@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> The Beatles recorded Abbey Road in overdub mode. I thought that record
    >> had a cool vibe and a groove.
    >

    > It's easier with 10 albums under the belt.

    It's also a lot easier with Sir George at the helm & Emerick at the desk.

    And being the Beatles probably didn't hurt.

    "david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message news:240620050417389578%ihate@spamo.com...
    > In article <pVMue.5460$G4.568@trnddc09>, MAMS\ <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have to hear it to know that "groove" can only come when the
    > > whole band is jamming together.
    >

    > I've found that guys who play a lot together live can lay great grooves
    > even while overdubbing.
    >
    > And the best acoustic rhythm guitar track I ever recorded was cut as an
    > overdub last holiday season. It's feel is stunning.
    >
    > The guy who played it (Stu Kimball) had spent the year touring with
    > Dylan. And it was at the end of a long day of overdubs to boot!

    Shows to go ya'.... there is no substitute for talent. ;-)

Pro Audio Audio Studio