PPP internet connection sharing

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend has to use a ADSL modem (in the UK) that is an external USB modem. It uses the PP protocol to connect to the internet. This means that (at least according to him, with a 56k modem i havent tried it) all the major proxy software doesnt work. He has 2 computers and he would like to set one up as a dedicated server, or at least share the internet thro his main one to the other computer. So the question is really, how does he do it? He would also like to be able to run an FTP (or rather i want him to run an FTP for me) maybe a CS server etc all thro the dedicated server. But it needs to share the internet.

So can anyone please link me to some good software that will do it, or even if you know of a nice external ADSL modem that will be "always on" as long as it has power (and if you know if it works in the UK thx)

Thanks in advance

Killerkris

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi,

I dont see why a proxy wouldnt work, I have cable and initially had a similar prob, in the end i bought a p60 and setup a linuix router- this obviously isnt the route for everyone but its very easy and I can simply plug in any other pc, give it an ip and a gateway and there is it- online, VERY handy for me as I do pc repairs in my spare time. If I were you I'd try a proxy, I dont see why it shouldnt work, Are there routers available for adsl? there might be, there are ones for isdn.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

TRENDING THREADS