Fresh windows 7 pro install

crudstud

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello,
i just bought a new Dell. it has windows 7 home, 64 bit. i bought a full install copy of windows 7 64 bit, pro version so i can run programs in xp mode. i have been warned that the oem full version may not have the drivers i need for this Dell computer. i'm expecting major problems. i do have a driver disk that came with my computer but i fear they won't be the same drivers that the windows pro version of 7 requires. any thoughts?

crudstud

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

thank you !

saran008

Distinguished
This workaround will help you to get XP mode in home premium, without installing Professional.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/12/14/workaround-to-install-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7-home-premium-and-home-basic/

Once you have drivers for Windows 7 Home premium, those drivers should work with Windows 7 Professional to.

You have a Green signal to replace home premium with Professinal, If needed.

crudstud

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
i'm not too good with computers but i downloaded and installed xp mode and virtual pc. i somehow managed to install xp using my installation cd and did all the updates. however, i find this aspect troubling: xp mode, at least the way i installed it, is completely hidden when i am not in it. in other words, using windows explorer, it is invisible. and when in xp mode, i have no access to my other hard drives. so any programs i want to add must be on a cd. also, the screen size is quite small and gives me only one smaller size. (using the "smaller" size resolution increases the size, but it's still only about half the size of my full monitor). so now supposing i install my Jasc Photo shop software. then to add a picture from my "real" hard drive, i would have to put it on a cd, then do what i want with the photo, then burn it to a cd. then exit virtual pc and access the revised photo from another cd. this seems ludicrous. has anyone else experienced this or did i do something wrong?

crudstud

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
i dont suppose anyone is going to look at this slightly old and boring post anymore, but in case someone does here is my lastest problem with virtual pc. each time i start the program, a get a log on screen for windows XP. it asks for my name and password. i tried every possible combination and everyone fails. sometimes, it says what means that we would log you on but something about your access is denied. at this point i give up and click on one of the above tabs that say "disable Integration." i dont even know what integration is, but i think it's something i need. as soon as i click to disable integration, then the XP i installed loads up. however, it will not play legacy games. it even insulted me by saying that my video card didn't support 3D. yeah, right. it's a brand new computer with the Intel i7 processor with a decent ATI card. device manger within xp says that the video driver is "Virtual PC Integration Component S3 TRio 32/64" totally weird. i am hoping that when i reformat and install windows 7 PRO, it might help, but i doubt it. also, i tried to delete the XP mode and it said it would and that all my data would be deleted but it's still there. oh brother.