Flight Simulator 2004: AP acts strange after 26000 ft

My IAS decreases dramatically so that I am stalling after a bit, and can't
climb any further. What is the problem?

ME

johan,

may be as simple as to turn on 'de-ice' and 'pitot heat'.

goodluck !

"Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My IAS decreases dramatically so that I am stalling after a bit, and can't
> climb any further. What is the problem?

Johan,

In addition to activating de-icing and pitot heat, one can also take into
consideration that the flight dynamics for the aircraft you are attempting to
fly are incorrect. I experienced the same problem with an add-on aircraft,
and with a little tweaking in the "Aircraft.cfg" file, the problem went away.

May all your landings be those you can walk away from.

Johan wrote:
> My IAS decreases dramatically so that I am stalling after a bit, and can't
> climb any further. What is the problem?

Many planes require a slower climb rate as they approach cruise
altitude. After all, the air is a LOT thinner up there! If the rate set
in the autopilot is too high the angle of attack will increase, leading
to greater drag, lower indicated airspeed, and further reduction in
climb rate. The autopilot will then pull the nose even higher worsening
the problem. Eventually the stall warning will sound and you will
experience a steep unplanned dive.

Once you set the throttles to the engine's recomended sustained RPM you
need to adjust the autopilot's vertical speed to maintain an indicated
airspeed just under 250 kts (or plane's maximum speed if it is lower)
until you reach 10,000 ft. Above that altitude adjust the autopilot's
vertical speed to remain just under the aircraft's maximum indicated
airspeed. Eventually you will have to reduce the vertical speed to zero
until your gross weight is reduced by fuel consumption. After you have
flown at that altitude for a while you will be light enough to climb to
a higher cruise altitude. This process is called a "Step Climb".

You may have to ignore the default ATC's frequency change orders to
prevent the "controler" canceling your flight plan for failure to reach
your "assigned" altitude. Unfortunately the default flight planner
doesn't have provisions to support the step climb requirement.

FAA regulations require jet transport aircraft to be able to sustain minimum
climb gradients immediately after takeoff with an engine failure factored
in. The gradient depends on how many engines the aircraft is certified with.
For example, a two-engine aircraft such as a Boeing 737 must be able to
climb from 35 feet to 400 feet with a climb gradient of 2.4% on just one
engine with flaps in the takeoff position. To compare, a four-engine jet
such as a Boeing 747 must be able to climb with a 3.0% gradient. Jet
transport aircraft expedite their climb to 1,500 feet while retracting flaps
and slats. Above this altitude a climb profile such as 250/280/.72 is
maintained. This means that the aircraft climbs at 250 knots while
speed-restricted below 10,000 feet, then holds 280 knots until that speed
yields a mach number of 0.72 (72% of the speed of sound). This altitude is
called the mach cross over altitude. The mach number is held constant until
reaching the assigned cruise altitude.

That said - it depends on what you are trying to do. There are two factors
the best rate of climb Vy and the best ANGLE of climb Vx. Best Angle gets
you higher faster, best rate gets you further as you go higher with
resultant fuel savings.

The speed will vary from aircraft to aircraft and is rarely anything close
to maximum speed or power setting. That's usually reserved for military
operations <G>. The a/c manual will list both Vx and Vy. Without the manual
you could calculate it based upon weight and fuel etc.

HTH