Sign in with
Your question

Help With Floppy Drive Problem

Last response: in Components
July 16, 2003 12:35:49 AM

I just bought a new Samsung floppy drive for my new computer, and I can't get it to work. When I stick in a floppy disk and double click on the floppy drive icon in My Computer, the light goes on for a few seconds and a message box comes up that says "Please insert a disk into drive a." I put in the floppy drive from my old computer and it works fine. So it's not my motherboard or anything. And I also tried the cable I with my old floppy drive, so that's not the problem either. One weird thing I've noticed about my new floppy drive is that the pins on the bottom row of the connector are staggered.
The row of pins in the new drive is like this: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17. The row of pins in my old reliable drive is like this: 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17. Does that make sense?
There's just one pin missing. The new floppy drive is missing a pin in every other spot, if you know what I mean. Is this normal? Do I need a different type of cable or something?

More about : floppy drive problem

July 16, 2003 5:46:50 PM

First you need a cable with a twist in the end, the twist should be at the end of the cable where the connector plugs into the FD. The red wire has to be connected towards the left backside of the FD and not to the right as is normal with hard drives and optical drives.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
!