Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP! Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 Platinum

Last response: in Components
July 17, 2003 12:14:53 PM

Ok, I have a question about the Audigy 2 and the Audigy 2 Platinum. I was under the assumption that the cards themselves were virtually the same card, but the Platinum has the expansion bay card as well as more software. Are there any differences in the cards themselves? Please help!

More about : audigy audigy platinum

July 18, 2003 10:31:05 AM

No, aside from the extras included with the Platinum, the cards are identical.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 18, 2003 9:30:50 PM

However, the Platinum eX card is different from the Audigy 2 and regular Platinum.

- Daniel (daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net)
Related resources
July 18, 2003 9:54:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I sold an Audigy 2 Platinum on Ebay to this guy who insisted there was a difference, and after talking to Creative Labs and the info I got here, I know I sold him what I said it was. Thanks again! =)
July 19, 2003 9:23:18 AM

Yes you are correct about the Audigy 2 Platinum eX. It is a completely different animal, consisting of a smaller PCI card and an external component, which appears to do most of the work. I am not sure what the supposed advantage is to this type of setup, myself, and given the <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20020405/extigy-01.h..." target="_new">stink</A> over Creative's prior external offering, the Extigy, I would be very much inclined to recommend against buying the eX.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 19, 2003 4:22:48 PM

Audigy2 Platinum eX is not an Extigy (it's not an external sound card connected to a USB port on your PC). And it's the one Creative product that's currently almost beyond reproach (at the price). Read this article at Guru3d and see exactly why (includes comparisons with Terratec DMX-6Fire 24/96):

http://content.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=review&id=45&...
July 19, 2003 5:16:04 PM

There is one big advantage to having an external box and that is for recording. The external boxes are much quieter because they have the ADC where they don't have to deal with all the EM noise inside a computer. I have an Audigy2 Platinum and I can tell you from my own experience that recordings made from both the RCA ins and the 1/4" analog jacks in the breakout box are noisy. Not an unacceptable amount of noise, but not suitable for professional quality recording. Having said that, the card sounds great in games and playing music, and for the recording I do at home (demos, rough ideas - any real recording gets done on a mixing board) it gets the job done.

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>
!