For those with Defrag problems and FS2004...

If you're like me and have many 3rd party AC, and Scenery add-ons and you've
noticed your hard drive(s) are excessively fragmented (in my case 36%
fragmentation).

I ran into a problem when trying to defragment my drive (specifically having
problems with FS2004 files) -- it would get to about 7% and stop and say it
was unable to defragment some files (most of them) and left my drive still
very much fragmented. To make a long story short, I had to reduce the size
of my Pagefile to 0MB BEFORE running defrag, once this was done I was able
to defrag the entire drive (be sure to return the Pagefile size back to your
normal settings once your done defragging). I loaded up FS2004 and what a
huge difference it made in scenery load times and view switching, etc. etc.

Rob.

Another successful technique that avoids the freezing at 7%, 10%, etc.
is to:

1. Boot into Safe Mode (press F8 as soon as you see Windows starting
to load)
2. Run defrag as normal.

Whilst it's inconvenient to boot to safe mode you can always be sure
that the defrag will succeed.

Andy.