I'm new here please help....

UCOstudent

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Hi I'm new here to THGC. I have found this is possibly the most knowlegable forums on the internet today and the nicest. :wink:

My problem is that I'm going to be purchasing a new computer in the next month or two. I've have slowly been looking for some of the basic parts that I'll need, however, I have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of cases that are on the market :eek: . I have read the articles on here and that has helped, but I'm still left with many possibilities. Please Help.

I intend to use this maching for gaming and other uses that a college student runs into. I have found <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1347-SEL" target="_new">this case</A>. I'm kind of leary of this case because I dont think that they mention the material used in the case or the name of the power supply. And could some one explain those power supply inputs and outputs down at the bottom of the page. I prefer the side panel window and a mid tower, but I'm willing to make an acception if someone really recommends a certain case for a good price. I would like to spend no more than 120$ for the case.

Thanks in advance for your help. :wink:

sturm

Splendid
Many amd and all new p4s take an extra power connection(4 pin) that supplies power to the cpu. Thats the aux power connection. You can always just put a reccommended amd/p4 power supply in it if you want.
Other than that if you like the case and it has all the drive bays and fan options you want why not.
You are correct that there are soooooo many cases out there that it can get confusing.

UCOstudent

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks for your help.

On the website it mentions that the firewire and USB ports have ribbon cable leads so they are not recomended for USB 2.0. Do you know what that means? Or is it just an insignificant detail?

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Many cases which support front USB ports do not support USB 2.0. This includes some of the higher end cases as well. That's most likely what it's referring to.

If you like the case, by all means, buy it. But I cant stress enough the importance of a QUALITY power supply. Antec, Enermax, and Fortron seem to be the most frequently recommended. My preference is for Antec cases with matching PSU's.

<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com" target="_new">http://www.antec-inc.com</A>

Thats a pretty sweet deal for $40.00, 400W P/S w Lights and Lighted fans and a side window, gather what info you can, and then pick out what you want and go for it, looks like some good choices from the beginning.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

UCOstudent

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I intend to buy an after market PSU prob. an Antec. Will a 400 watt PS suffice? And what is the advantages of USB 2.0, faster speed?

UCOstudent

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Also could some one inform about the AMD64's should I wait for that processor line or get one of the XP's? What are the pros and cons of the 64 bit configuration. Is there or will there be any advantages to using the new chips in a gaming sense. I'm just clueless about this technology :eek: .

Thanks for your help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's just your cheap, trashy case made of thin sheet steel that dents if you lay your motherboard manual on top of it. I'm fairly sure that you'll buy a similar case of similar quality no matter what I recommend, as nearly all flashy cases are made of the same crap.

You like Compgeeks? You want a cheap case that's not so thin? Buy <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=589NOPS-BLU-N" target="_new">This old, ugly case</A>. I can't tell you much about the quality of the plastic on the outside, but I'm fairly sure it's a nice, heavy duty steal EverGreat/EverBest chassis underneath. Heck, it even has a removable tray!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

UCOstudent

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Thank you for your input. That's why I posted here I want no punches to be held :smile: . I stated in my original post that I was worried about the construction of the case due to that they failed to mention the materials used in the making of the case. No, I'm not a fan of CompGeeks. I could care less about where I get my case from as long as I get a quality product without shelling out an ungodly amount of money for a case. :wink:

And I also stated that I was willing to listen to suggestions. I did look at your link and I have no doubt that it is a sturdy case, however; I just want a case that has the same quality but is a little bit easier on the eyes :cool: . Now with that said do you or any one else having any other offers?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-108-273&depa=1" target="_new">Here's a nice, solid case</A> from a nice solid company, with a nice solid power supply. Last I knew, Inwin used Fortron power supplies, which are extremely durrable and underrated.

If you want something a bit fancier, you could get a nice Chieftec case and a Fortron 350W power supply for decent prices, but that package would cost you around $80.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Fortron has a new 350W Unit - Rep told me was very quiet and powerful. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1919&catalog=58&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">Newegg has it for $55.00 US</A>. 120mm 3 stage fan vs 80mm fan on standard unit. Fortron rep said this unit (new model) is super quiet.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but you can get a good cheaper unit for $32 last I checked. And it's quiet, unless you put a heavy load on it (where it needs to kick the fan speed up).

And then there's the 400W and 530W units, which are still reasonably priced for their size.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
If Fortron puts the 120mm 3-stage fan on the 400w unit - I'm ordering tomorrow.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might as well jump up to the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0" target="_new">530W Unit</A> for $15 more!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Sure, but it won't be $75 either with a new 120mm fan - and the 400w unit won't stay at $60 either. They'll ask a bit more with the component upgrades (and less db's) - I assume.