saulalinsky

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I know that 3.5" enclusures for portable hard drive use exist, but the problem is that they require an AC adaptor; which definitely defeats the purpose of using a portable hard drive with a laptop. I also know that you can get 2.5" enclosures (for laptop hard disks) that draw power from either a high power USB 2/FireWire port or the PS/2 port, allowing you to travel with your hard drive.

Laptop hard drives are both too expensive and too small for me to justify buying one for portable use. I'm looking for a portable 120 gig HD that does not need an AC adaptor, in any way I can get that under $300. Any ideas?

Is there such a thing as a 3.5" enclosure that can somehow draw power from the laptop?

Thanks alot in advance.

saulalinsky

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
That's actually one of the laptop HD's that I've found around but the problem is that they can't get very big and they are incredibly expensive. So, I'm looking for a 3.5" unless there is a great deal for a 2.5". Maybe there is some kind of device that can replace a external hard drive's AC adaptor and plug it into the PS/2 port instead?

Thanks all the same, I appreciate your help.