TERRAIN DATABASES

Hello:

I am not sure if this group can help, but any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

I am part of a research group that is attempting to simulate the search
and rescue process. The problems we are having is trying to simulate
the experience of the ocean and the complexity of the terrain.
Searching in open water is very difficult, however our terrain database
does not simulate that difficulty. Also our targets seem to "pop-out"
rather than be a challenge to find.

Does anyone have any terrain database suggestions OR any suggestions at
all? We are using Nerepis at the moment.

Thanks!

Wish I could help, but I think your mission might just be impossible until
MS release a new version. Object blending is not very good in FS9.1 -- this
might be intended also (to make it easier to see runways, buildings, etc.)
but I suspect it is more a matter of retaining flexibility and just not
coding anything for pixel shaders (which to be fair weren't available in
"retail" video cards way back when FS9.1 was being developed). Terrain
texture is the only way I think you could even remotely get close to what
you want to accomplish -- objects will always just stick out -- have you
tried experimenting with a clear reflective surface around the objects to be
rescued -- you might be able to disguise it a little.

Rob