Finally. Twinbank and Dual-Channel DDR

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I finally understand the difference between Twinbank technology and Dual-Channel DDR.

Twinbank:
This technology is exclusive on nVidia nForce & nForce2. It is non-CPU dependent hardware memory controlling which benefitial to on-board graphic, sound, etc without waiting for CPU response by enhancing the memory bandwidth. On ASUS A7N8X, as exmaple, you have to install two as identical as possible memory modules on DIMM 1&2 (i.e. the black slot and the blue slot next to it).

Dual-Channel DDR:
This is utilised on both nForce2 and many Pentium 4 platforms. This in simple term is using two as identical as possible memory modules to double the memory bandwidth, also without go through CPU "waiting list". On ASUS A7N8X, as exmaple, you have to install one of your memory modules on the DIMM 3 (i.e. the distal blue slot) and the other on either DIMM 1 or 2 (i.e. either the black slot or the blue slot). So it's DIMM 1&3 or DIMM 2&3.

So, you can see why so many people said they can't run their RAM on DIMM 3 on nForce2 platform, because Dual-Channel DDR is extremely picky to memory module installed. When they install their RAM on DIMM 1&2 the problem solved and they got the pseudo "Dual-Channel DDR". On AMD platform, since Athlon XP can't fully utilise the full potential of Dual-Channel DDR, so people won't notice much difference.
OK, you might ask if you can enable both Twinbank and Dual-Channel DDR on nForce2. Yes you can, taking example on 1GB total RAM, you have to install 2x256MB identical memory modules on DIMM 1&2, and 1x512MB memory module on DIMM 3, preferable same brand.
This is what I understand, please pardon any mistake I made and correct them by replying my post.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TKH on 07/20/03 07:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>