VMP2 tube questions(s)...?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 25, 2005 3:19:35 PM

Hey, everyone!

I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...) Any
suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
advance.

Pete

More about : vmp2 tube questions

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:58:58 PM

I changed out my tubes and it noticeably improved the sound. Dump the
12AX7 Sovteks (which were standard in mine). There are 6 of them. I
replaced them with Groove Tubes Mullard 12AX7 copies. If you have the
Phillips 12AT7 in yours, you can probably keep them. There should be
2 of them. It's a decent mil spec tube as I recall. I replaced mine
with some NOS Mullards because I had them. If the 12AT7s are Sovteks
also, I'd replace them. Sound is audibly smoother although I think
it now has slightly less gain. Don't have a manual although the unit
is pretty basic so a manual would be of marginal utility. There are a
couple posts in other forums about tube swapping that are more
extensive and also use more NOS tubes. Keep in mind that using better
tubes, especially NOS tubes, can be pricey given the number of tubes a
VMP-2 contains.

On 25 Jun 2005 11:19:35 -0700, "StudioDude" <pete@smilingiguana.com>
wrote:

>Hey, everyone!
>
>I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
>preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
>threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
>starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
>these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...) Any
>suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
>their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
>posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
>used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
>tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Pete
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:00:13 AM

I have ElectroHarmonix 12AX7EH tubes in mine that I got a great deal
from "The Tube Store". Nice sounding upgrade and not expensive.
peakester
June 26, 2005 11:10:32 AM

"StudioDude" <pete@smilingiguana.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
> preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
> threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
> starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
> these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...)

The manual is out there on the web someplace; I've looked at it, but didn't
bookmark the site. The main reason was that the manual didn't really tell me
anything interesting; no schematic, for one thing.

> Any
> suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
> their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
> posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
> used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
> tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
> advance.

I'd stick with the tube types (12AX7s and 12AT7s) that are in there, but go
for different brands. As another poster said, if the 12AT7s are Mullard or
Philips, stick with them, but if they're Sovtek, replace them, and
definitely replace the Sovtek 12AX7s. I've had good luck with the EI brand
from the former Yugoslavia.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:36:34 PM

<peakester@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have ElectroHarmonix 12AX7EH tubes in mine that I got a great deal
> from "The Tube Store". Nice sounding upgrade and not expensive.

I've also had good luck with ElectroHarmonix tubes. I'm told they're
rebranded EI's, but that may or may not be right.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:48:54 AM

Thanks for the great posts. I plan on cracking mine open one day this
week, and will see what's going on in there... Besides "The Tube Store"
- any other recommendations for where to find the best deals on tubes?
Thanks again.

Pete
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:16:32 PM

><peakester@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I have ElectroHarmonix 12AX7EH tubes in mine that I got a great deal
>> from "The Tube Store". Nice sounding upgrade and not expensive.
>
>I've also had good luck with ElectroHarmonix tubes. I'm told they're
>rebranded EI's, but that may or may not be right.

Sovtek and EI are both basically the same company with different labels.
They buy from various sources and sell products from a variety of different
factories.

By law they have to state country of origin. If it is marked "RUSSIA" then
it is probably from the Reflector factory. If the box lists one of the
former Jugoslavian republics, EI would seem a good guyess.
--scott

June 27, 2005 2:19:10 PM

StudioDude <pete@smilingiguana.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the great posts. I plan on cracking mine open one day this
>week, and will see what's going on in there... Besides "The Tube Store"
>- any other recommendations for where to find the best deals on tubes?

Triode Electronics in Chicago. Ned is a good guy and will talk about
tubes all day.
--scott

July 3, 2005 9:51:01 PM

The first models used Reichenbach RE115's as the bid to Peavey on the
cost of the transformers was less than Jensen's by only pennies per
unit. Not long after that, other OEM transformers were used which were
worse, but cost even less.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:02:24 AM

StudioDude <pete@smilingiguana.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
> preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
> threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
> starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
> these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...) Any
> suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
> their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
> posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
> used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
> tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
> advance.

I don't see the point in swapping out tubes, really. If you're using
the same tube types, the tonal change is going to be on par with moving
a gain or tone knob a fraction of a fraction, but the cost will be
along the lines of buying a new preamp. It's just silly.
The one exception would be if you changed tube types (basically moving
between the 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AY7, and 12AX7) then you'd get a different
amount of gain so you'd operate the preamp at a different portion of
its gain range, which will alter the tone.

Jim's suggestion of upgrading the transformers and the capacitors makes
sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if the power supply left some room
for improvement, but those things kind of assume that you'd like to
make the preamp sound cleaner. Maybe you want it to sound more
colored?

You're not going to fit an EL-anything into the VMP2 without major
surgery. EL is the European prefix for a pentode with 6.3V heaters.
The European prefix for the 12Ax7 range of tubes is ECC, which means
it's a dual triode with 6.3V heaters (the 12 in 12AX7 means it has
12.6V heaters, which seems a contradiction but it isn't - the heaters
are center tapped so you can run them in series at 12.6V or in parallel
at 6.3V). Long story short, an EL84 would physically fit into a 12AX7
(ECC83) socket, but that would be the end of your tube and your preamp,
because the different pinout would generate some mayhem the likes of
which those components are not intended to survive.

ulysses
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:46:36 PM

In article <1120438261.378482.23970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com> wrote:
>The first models used Reichenbach RE115's as the bid to Peavey on the
>cost of the transformers was less than Jensen's by only pennies per
>unit. Not long after that, other OEM transformers were used which were
>worse, but cost even less.

Ahh! The only ones I'd seen were the ones with the Reichenbachs, which
came very close to sounding like the Jensens. The top end wasn't quite
as clean, but it was not bad. If they went to cheapies, that is most
definitely a point against them. The one thing that made me like the
VMP-2 so much is that they had such a good input transformer at such a low
price point.
--scott

July 25, 2005 10:33:51 PM

StudioDude <pete@smilingiguana.com> wrote:
> Hey, everyone!

> I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
> preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
> threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
> starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
> these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...) Any
> suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
> their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
> posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
> used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
> tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
> advance.

There is a jumper setting in there somewhere. I forget what it does.
Anyone?

Rob R.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:55:58 PM

one way to get the VMP to sound better would be with groovier transformers
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:33:51 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: VMP2 tube questions(s)...?
>
> StudioDude <pete@smilingiguana.com> wrote:
>> Hey, everyone!
>
>> I'm looking to do some minor upgrades to my Peavey VMP-2 tube mic
>> preamp - maybe just replacing the tubes, etc. I found some older
>> threads relating to this topic, but nothing really specific. (For
>> starters, if anyone happens to have a copy of the MANUAL that came with
>> these things, I'd really love to get my hands on a copy...) Any
>> suggestions? Anyone have any luck increasing the overall "quality" of
>> their sound by using other tubes in one of these units? I've seen some
>> posts where people suggested using tubes OTHER than the type originally
>> used (maybe an EL something-or-other instead of 12ax7s?) I'm sort of a
>> tube-dummy, and am looking to learn a little more about it. Thanks in
>> advance.
>
> There is a jumper setting in there somewhere. I forget what it does.
> Anyone?
>
> Rob R.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:20:31 PM

>From old RAP post

>albini <alb...@amp1.demon.nl> wrote:
>I just found this on the PEAVY forum:

>The technician should leave the VMP-2 turned off for about 5 minutes before
>changing the pin configuration on these two jumpers. There is a jumper on
>each channel that can be repositioned. P-33 and P-34. Each of these 3-pin
>male pin connectors have a female jumper which connects the two "top" pins
>for a distorted sound and the two lower pins for a clean sound. This
>top/bottom orientation is referenced to the front being the bottom.

>I am not sure really why they included this, but P33 enables or disables
>a feedback loop around the gain stage immediately preceding the output
>stage. If you put it in, you will get less gain and slightly better
>linearity. If you take it out, you will get more gain and slightly
>poorer linearity. The difference should not be a huge one.
>--scott
>--
>"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

My VMP-2 has the Reichenbach RE115's tranny's, Telsa/JJ 12AX7's and
Phillips JAN 12AT7's. I did send it off to Stephen Sank and he changed
caps throughout, worked on the power supply, hard wired most of the
interconnect cables(which can be a problem) and "other" things like an
input overload LED for each channel. He checked my tubes (VMP) and
said they didn't need to be changed.

You can get a photocopy of the schematic and layout from Peavey for
free. All I did was e-mail 'em and they e-mailed it to me. Real nice
folk. E-mail gford@peavey.com.

For matched tubes, both triodes and multiple units, both of these guys
will do it. ex: 6 each 12AX7's, 2 each 12AT7's.

http://store.triodestore.com/index.html or
http://thetubestore.com/index.html

Good luck,
Wayne