RAM for gaming machine - some questions

deegan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
All,

Im trying to put together a solid gaming machine. I was planning on getting an MSI Neo 2 MB with a P4 processor. Ive been researching RAM to use. I was originally planning on putting in PC3200 CL2 RAM in it (possibly Corsair XMS), but now Im seeing faster possible speeds (e.g. PC3700 and PC4000). My questions are:

1. Is this faster RAM going to be stable in my system?

2. If so, do I have to overclock to take advantage of it?

3. If I have to overclock, will that motherboard/CPU combo be able to take advantage of the additional speed or am i wasting my money.

4. If its not a waste of $$, is there a place I can find a guide to reliable setup my motherboard to take advantage of the faster RAM?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I appreciate any guidance you guys could provide.

Thanks!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well for a p4 using dual channel faster ram is not gonna help much at stock speeds...if ya wana overclock get your self a good stick of pc3500 IMO 3700 and 4000 are a waste of money...because they run terrible timmings.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Posts seem long when you write them because of the font but after you see them posted, they dont seem that long, and besides, we don't mind reading.

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Reading long post is quite boring sometimes especially if you're just concerned with your THGC ranking.

The Ultimate Video Processor:
GeForceFX + Radeon + Parhelia = "Radeohelia FX"

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I'd keep in mind that we're not that far away from DDRII (and PCI Express) - you may want to buy new ram sticks then. Perhaps it's a good idea not to exhaust your budget on expensive ram now that might only have a year, year and half life ...? That is if you upgrade.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That's exactly the reason I posted my post...

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?