Poll: Your favorite overall sound of an album

Last response: in Home Audio
June 26, 2005 6:08:46 PM

What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with the
sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
certain level of natural dynamics, too.

I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.

--
Predrag

To reply, remove NESPAMU from my email address:
predrag.trpkovNESPAMU@ri.htnet.hr
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:08:47 PM

One of the best-sounding albums (and best albums) in my opinion was
recorded in L.A. in the early 1980's and produced by Earle Mankey, who
I think is one of the most underrated producers. This guy makes drums
sound INCREDIBLE, and he also gets great guitar sounds, too. Mutt
Lange has nothing on Earle's drum & guitar recording techniques!

The group is 20/20, and their self-titled first album was recorded for
the CBS subsidiary Portrait. It's a blast of pure, unadulterated
power-pop that has been a huge influence on me as a musician and as an
engineer.

Thankfully, this album was released a few years ago on CD by Oglio
Records (www.oglio.com). As a special bonus, 20/20's second album
"Look Out!"--also a true classic--is included on the disc as well.

GET THIS DISC. It sounds FANTASTIC in a real pre-digital kind of way,
and, if you like classic Beatles-influenced pop with a hint of sci-fi
thrown in for good measure, you will dig this tremendously. I'm not
kidding--this music is as important to me as anything the Beatles ever
did.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:08:47 PM

Branford Marsalis Trio Jeepy
Robbie Robertson Robbie Robertson
June 26, 2005 6:08:47 PM

My votes:

Tears for Fears- Seeds of Love. "Unbelievably warm and Dynamic"
Pink Floyed-The final Cut-Dark Side of the Moon "of course" -The Wall
Steely Dan- Goucho- The Royal Scam- Aja
Jonatha Brook- Ten Cent Wings
Dire Straits-Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms
Mark Knopler-Shagrila "in Surround"
Pat Matheny "Practically any later Recording"
Paul McCartney-Tripping the Live Fantastic
U2-Actung Baby
Seal 1-2-3 and 4 Also, most of the surround mixes are incredible!
Shawn Colvin-A few small repairs
Peter Gabriel- Play-In Suround-Up-Also both Live DVD's are amazing in
surround.
Sting-Ten Summoner's Tales-Soul Cage
James Taylor-Hourglass
Sarah McLachlan-Mirrorball Live in Surround

These all have such incredible dynamics. Perfect frequency responses.
Very Open. Often sonically creative. Rarely if ever harsh. They all
just support the music, which is by far the most important thing
anyway.

Cameron
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:08:48 PM

If you like the Robbie record check out Richard Page's Shelter Me. Elliott
Scheiner mixed it, just amazing sounding
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: "dale" <dallen@frognet.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: 26 Jun 2005 05:52:52 -0700
> Subject: Re: Poll: Your favorite overall sound of an album
>

> Branford Marsalis Trio Jeepy
> Robbie Robertson Robbie Robertson

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:39:48 PM

"Predrag Trpkov" <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message
news:D 9m5ts$ljb$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
> collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with
the
> sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
> wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts
of
> the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
> your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
> certain level of natural dynamics, too.
>
> I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.

Multiway tie:

The Band "The Band", Capitol 1969
Richard & Linda Thompson "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight", Island
c. 1974
Joel Mabus "Flatpick & Clawhammer", Fossil (his label), mid-1990s.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:39:34 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

> What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
> collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with the
> sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
> wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
> the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
> your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
> certain level of natural dynamics, too.

The list is lengthy, but ...

Beatles - Abbey Road, White Album

Live Stuff (my area of interest)

Brand X - Livestock
Who - at Leeds (warts and all)

> I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.

I enjoyed the Crossroads soundtrack but it's
not apppr. to this list.

rd
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:27:56 AM

Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" is perhaps the best sounding record I've
heard. Gaucho is also stunning.

Abbey Road and most Beatle records sound 'Fab' too, and are turning out
to be geat investments if in good shape. (check ebay some time)

VB

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
> collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with the
> sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
> wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
> the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
> your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
> certain level of natural dynamics, too.
>
> I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.
>
> --
> Predrag
>
> To reply, remove NESPAMU from my email address:
> predrag.trpkovNESPAMU@ri.htnet.hr
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:14:23 AM

Too many to list (aqnd I see several choices already listed). Today I
will say Big Star "#1 Record" - sterling....
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:53:47 AM

> but I like the sound of his second album, Storyville, at least as much.

soapbox preacher..... what do you always end up down at nick's cafe
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:38:23 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
> collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with the
> sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
> wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
> the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
> your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
> certain level of natural dynamics, too.

Toy Matinee
Pink Floyd: The Final Cut
Robbie Robertson
Peter Gabriel: US
KD Lang: Ingenue
Patricia Barber: Modern Cool
Thomas Dolby: Aliens Ate my Buick

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
June 27, 2005 1:22:03 PM

1979 ''Entertainment!'' by the Gang of Four...on vinyl....

cheers,
Bob
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:22:04 PM

Bob wrote:

> 1979 ''Entertainment!'' by the Gang of Four...on vinyl....
>
> cheers,
> Bob

On vinyl? Bob, you can't say that here. ;)
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:11:39 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" is perhaps the best sounding record I've
>heard. Gaucho is also stunning.

Umm.. you DO know that The Nightfly was digitally recorded, don't you?
As I recall it was on those horrible 3M machines at Soundworks Digital,
which were 32-track, 16-bit 50 ksamp/sec boxes. They had to crank the
sampling rate up that far to keep the channel group delay down, since
this was back before modern oversampling filters. And the "16-bit"
specification was doubtful at best... I think today we'd call that a
14-bit machine.

I would, in fact, say that Nightfly is a very good example of the sort
of brittle and glassy sound of early digital, and in the case of that
album it works perfectly to showcase the music. It wasn't accurate,
but it was definitely artistic.

It's a fun album, and IGY is one of the catchiest songs I know of,
but I think if you're going to cite why you like vinyl so much that
this is probably not a good pick to support your arguments.
--scott

June 27, 2005 2:44:47 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" is perhaps the best sounding record I've
>>heard. Gaucho is also stunning.
>

> Umm.. you DO know that The Nightfly was digitally recorded, don't you?
> As I recall it was on those horrible 3M machines at Soundworks Digital,
> which were 32-track, 16-bit 50 ksamp/sec boxes. They had to crank the
> sampling rate up that far to keep the channel group delay down, since
> this was back before modern oversampling filters. And the "16-bit"
> specification was doubtful at best... I think today we'd call that a
> 14-bit machine.
>
> I would, in fact, say that Nightfly is a very good example of the sort
> of brittle and glassy sound of early digital, and in the case of that
> album it works perfectly to showcase the music. It wasn't accurate,
> but it was definitely artistic.
>
> It's a fun album, and IGY is one of the catchiest songs I know of,
> but I think if you're going to cite why you like vinyl so much that
> this is probably not a good pick to support your arguments.
> --scott

Scott is right. Two horrible digital masters. Steve Winwood's 'Roll With
It' is another (though not as bad) example. Though I still love that album.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:56:39 PM

Well I'll admit that it's been a long time since I listened to that
record, so I may very well be OTL on that choice. I was listening to
Gaucho on vinyl the other day and it sounds fabulous! (the CD copy I
have doesn't fare as well)... That may have led to my Nightfly rec.
(and the fact that I like the music on it.)

If I find a copy of Nightfly I'd love to re-access it. I very well may
have been taken it by the 80s digital hype. Many engineers have cited
that recording as a showpiece. Be curious to see if they've changed
their opinons.

I was listening to Pat Metheneys's 1st record this morning and that
late 70s early 80s ECM stuff on vinyl really sounds nice. Great
recordings and pressings.

VB

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" is perhaps the best sounding record I've
> >heard. Gaucho is also stunning.
>
> Umm.. you DO know that The Nightfly was digitally recorded, don't you?
> As I recall it was on those horrible 3M machines at Soundworks Digital,
> which were 32-track, 16-bit 50 ksamp/sec boxes. They had to crank the
> sampling rate up that far to keep the channel group delay down, since
> this was back before modern oversampling filters. And the "16-bit"
> specification was doubtful at best... I think today we'd call that a
> 14-bit machine.
>
> I would, in fact, say that Nightfly is a very good example of the sort
> of brittle and glassy sound of early digital, and in the case of that
> album it works perfectly to showcase the music. It wasn't accurate,
> but it was definitely artistic.
>
> It's a fun album, and IGY is one of the catchiest songs I know of,
> but I think if you're going to cite why you like vinyl so much that
> this is probably not a good pick to support your arguments.
> --scott

June 27, 2005 7:31:27 PM

"dale" <dallen@frognet.net> wrote in message

> Branford Marsalis Trio Jeepy
> Robbie Robertson Robbie Robertson

Robbie Robertson's work seems to be highly regarded everywhere. His first
solo album would be on my Top10 list, but I like the sound of his second
album, Storyville, at least as much.

Predrag
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:11:14 PM

Hi,
This Strength by Guy Chadwick is a great sounding album ( and less than
10 yrs old)
Pup Tent by Luna also sounds V.cool. and Sea Monsters by the Wedding
Present is the business.
Luna album was recorded by a chap called Pat McCarthy apparently and
the Wedding Present album was made by John Leckie.

Decca recordings of the New World Symphony are pretty nice...

no. 1 record by Big Star is an amazing album but in doesn't exactly
sound technically good.

I thought there would be more classical records here though.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:17:12 PM

jennifer warnes famous blue raincoat
dots will echo
mc5 kick out the jams
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:35:39 PM

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. DeJa Vu. 60's.
Everything GOOD.
Cut on the West Coast, I think.

Wayne
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:45:41 PM

Wilco Being There is nice for a new-ish record.
Too many old stuff to list here.
later,
June 28, 2005 3:49:50 AM

> > but I like the sound of his second album, Storyville, at least as much.
>
> soapbox preacher..... what do you always end up down at nick's cafe

Nah. You won't catch me on that. The Nick's Cafe part is from Somewhere Down
The Crazy River.

Predrag
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:07:41 AM

About a year ago, I asked this group what was a "transparent" sound and
somebody mentioned listening to Roxy Music's Avalon album... It's
become one of my reference compilations that I can listen to at any
time.

The Carpenters put out some stuff nice easy listening stuff too though
the lyrics tend to be moooshy with extended dosages. Perhaps a bit
much reverb on the voice but resonates well with me...

Andy
June 28, 2005 12:35:32 PM

I know ;-)
Mean it though, cheers,
Bob

> On vinyl? Bob, you can't say that here. ;)
June 28, 2005 12:38:28 PM

''Dark side of the Moon'' anybody? ....on vinyl...oops I did it again ;-)
cheers, Bob
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:22:28 PM

Here's a few:

Crowded House - Woodface
Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
Pink Floyd - (Almost Any)
Beatles - Abbey Road
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
June 28, 2005 4:07:33 PM

On 6/28/2005 11:22 AM, tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
> Here's a few:
>
> Crowded House - Woodface
> Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
> Pink Floyd - (Almost Any)
> Beatles - Abbey Road
> Soundgarden - Superunknown
> Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

For POP it would be Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" and Van Morrison
"Enlightenment".
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:01:56 PM

Wayne wrote:

> Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. DeJa Vu. 60's.

Yes that is a very nice sounding recording. I'll add a few more and list
credits where credits are due.

Woodface - Crowded House. Mitchel Froom Produced, Paul Kosky/Rob
Jaczko/Max Garcia/Tchad Blake engineered, Bob Clearmountain mixed.
Everything worked on this recording.

The Road to Ensenada - Lyle Lovett. Billy Williams Produced, Nathaniel
Kunkel & Billy Kinsley engineered, And the great Doug Sax mastered the
recording. A smooth homage to a life breaking up or down depending. And
Kunkel captured everyone so well.

So - Peter Gabriel. Daniel Lanois Produced, David Bottrill/ Bruce
Lampcov/Dave Bascombe/ Kevin Killen/Dan Roe <AE>/Edel Griffith<SE>/Steve
Boyer<EA>, Ian Cooper Mastering & Tony Cousins Re-Mastering. The
album works on so many levels and backs up the emotional impact with a
sound to match. What is also amazing is how many hands were in the mix
and yet it turned out as a coherent and consistent mix.

PapaNate
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:53:25 PM

Secondhand Daylight - by Magazine produced by Colin Thurston..

The Stone Roses - Produced by John Leckie

New Values - By Iggy Pop -

Home Cookin - by Jimmy Smith

Computerwelt - by Kraftwerk produced by Kraftwerk

Hammond A - Go-Go - by James Last produced by James Last
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:42:58 PM

<< Roxy Music's Avalon album... It's become one of my reference
compilations that I can listen to at any time. >>

Avalon is truly one of the great albums of all time with super work by
Bob Clearmountain. Here's a SOS article with some background on
recording that record.
.......http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/articles/roxymusi...

<< The Carpenters put out some stuff nice easy listening stuff too >>

Although their music can be sappy, anything with Karen's voice on it is
wonderful. She is possibly the best female singer of all time. What
phrasing!...... And Richard worked hard on those albums and is an
under-appreciated producer.

VB
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:24:21 PM

Overall sonic perfection, k.d. lang: Ingenue
for rock, The Verve Pipe: Villians (exclude "Freshmen").
June 29, 2005 3:14:02 AM

Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing (Claire de Lune is fantastic) the 1st
"high-tech" recording I ever heard on a reel-to-reel way back when.

ELO - Time

"Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p tfwe.74$l67.2700@news.uswest.net...
> On 6/28/2005 11:22 AM, tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Here's a few:
>>
>> Crowded House - Woodface
>> Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
>> Pink Floyd - (Almost Any)
>> Beatles - Abbey Road
>> Soundgarden - Superunknown
>> Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
>>

> For POP it would be Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" and Van Morrison
> "Enlightenment".
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:20:20 AM

"Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Although their music can be sappy, anything with Karen's voice on it is
> wonderful. She is possibly the best female singer of all time. What
> phrasing!......

Let me introduce some new names to you:

Bessie Smith
Billie Holiday
Pearl Bailey
Loretta Lynn
Patsy Cline

Yes, the late Karen Carpenter could sing very well. But before you go
handing out phrases like "possibly the best female singer of all time", you
really ought to hear the folks on the list.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:26:59 AM

Mike Seeger "True Vine" on Smithsonian/Folkways. I think it was his usual
setup -- two Schoepses and a Nagra.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:09:51 AM

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message news:o cqwe.368886$cg1.217537@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> "Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Although their music can be sappy, anything with Karen's voice on it is
> > wonderful. She is possibly the best female singer of all time. What
> > phrasing!......
>
> Let me introduce some new names to you:
>
> Bessie Smith
> Billie Holiday
> Pearl Bailey
> Loretta Lynn
> Patsy Cline
>
> Yes, the late Karen Carpenter could sing very well. But before you go
> handing out phrases like "possibly the best female singer of all time", you
> really ought to hear the folks on the list.

I've heard most of those. Karen had a 'style' and clarity of delivery that
would almost always bring tears.

DM
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:15:14 AM

In article <ocqwe.368886$cg1.217537@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

> "Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Although their music can be sappy, anything with Karen's voice on it is
> > wonderful. She is possibly the best female singer of all time. What
> > phrasing!......
>
> Let me introduce some new names to you:
>
> Bessie Smith
> Billie Holiday
> Pearl Bailey
> Loretta Lynn
> Patsy Cline
>
> Yes, the late Karen Carpenter could sing very well. But before you go
> handing out phrases like "possibly the best female singer of all time", you
> really ought to hear the folks on the list.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Ella Fitzgerald. Case closed.

-Jay

June 29, 2005 2:44:00 PM

Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> "Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me introduce some new names to you:
>>
>> Bessie Smith
>> Billie Holiday
>> Pearl Bailey
>> Loretta Lynn
>> Patsy Cline
>
>Ella Fitzgerald. Case closed.

No way. Chris Connors.

On the turntable this morning, though, has been Ella Mae Morse and
June Christy, both of whom are no slackers.
--scott

June 29, 2005 2:48:08 PM

The first two Orleans albums.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:14:43 PM

Jay Kadis wrote:
> In article <ocqwe.368886$cg1.217537@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > "Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Although their music can be sappy, anything with Karen's voice on it is
> > > wonderful. She is possibly the best female singer of all time. What
> > > phrasing!......
> >
> > Let me introduce some new names to you:
> >
> > Bessie Smith
> > Billie Holiday
> > Pearl Bailey
> > Loretta Lynn
> > Patsy Cline
> >
> > Yes, the late Karen Carpenter could sing very well. But before you go
> > handing out phrases like "possibly the best female singer of all time", you
> > really ought to hear the folks on the list.
> >
> > Peace,
> > Paul
> >

> Ella Fitzgerald. Case closed.

You're all forgetting Sarah Vaughn. IMO absolutely the best, most
fluid, natural-sounding female jazz vocalist. Amazing sense of pitch,
phrasing, and ability to improvise. Ever heard her record "Lullaby of
Birdland" from the mid 1950s with Clifford Brown on trumpet? Not all
the songs on that record are great, but some of them are absolute tops.
Particularly the title number.

Not that there's anything wrong with the above list of singers,
either... <g>

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:45:29 PM

It seems this thread has morphed from best sounding recording into best
singer. At any rate k.d.'s "Ingenue" should make both lists.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:58:47 PM

psalter wrote:
> It seems this thread has morphed from best sounding recording into best
> singer. At any rate k.d.'s "Ingenue" should make both lists.

(Chick Korea) Return To Forever's 'Romantic Warrior' is a wonderful
sounding record. No singers involved.
July 1, 2005 2:56:56 AM

On 29 Jun 2005, "Karl Winkler" <karlwinkler66@yahoo.com> wrote in

> You're all forgetting Sarah Vaughn. IMO absolutely the best, most
> fluid, natural-sounding female jazz vocalist. Amazing sense of
> pitch, phrasing, and ability to improvise.

I must disagree with you here. I like Sarah, and I used to love her.
Now I find her style to be extremely mannered and artificial - not at
all "natural" - especially as she got older. Yes, she did have
incredible pipes and exquisite control, but I grew to find what she did
with it to be a bit annoying. I prefer Ella's natural and unpretentious
voice and style.

Some of those Ella Songbook records are really beautiful sounding. I
especially like the Gershwin and Kern sets.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 6:33:28 AM

I saw Return to Forever on the "Romantic Warrior" tour in 1976
(Berkeley CA). An astounding concert. Truely one of the best shows I've
ever seen....... All the high energy of a great rock show with amazing
musicianship and incredible ensemble playing.... Great record too, but
it was even better live!

VB
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:43:23 AM

" it's the imaging that brings an album into that "special"
class, where the speakers and technology just disappear and the
musicians
just materialize in front of you. "

hear.....hear...!

rhichard thompson you? me? us? the acoustic set
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:13:15 PM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> What's your album of choice, soundwise? Not necessarily your favorite
> collection of songs or the most impressive production, but the one with the
> sweetest sound overall, most pleasing to your ears. The one where you
> wouldn't change anything - highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
> the spectrum. The one that you can enjoy listening over and over without
> your ears getting tired or irritated by anything - I guess this requires
> certain level of natural dynamics, too.
>
> I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.

That's not a bad choice at all - Paradise and Lunch has a wonderful, sort
of "organic" sound. A very enjoyable record.

Some favorites of mine:

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
(with credit to Bil Vorndick for this one)

Blake and Rice (the first one, volume 2 didn't have the same magic)

The Roches - Can We Go Home Now?

Richard Thompson - Mirror Blue

BTW, it's not just the "highs, mids, lows or the balance between parts of
the spectrum" - if that were all it took, this list would go on for many
pages. Usually it's the imaging that brings an album into that "special"
class, where the speakers and technology just disappear and the musicians
just materialize in front of you.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:30:14 PM

On 7/1/05 8:13 AM, in article 42c53358$0$15759$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com,
"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote:

>> I'm just listening to Ry Cooder's "Paradise and Lunch" from 1974., again.
>
> That's not a bad choice at all - Paradise and Lunch has a wonderful, sort
> of "organic" sound. A very enjoyable record.
>
> Some favorites of mine:
>
> Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart
>
> Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
> (with credit to Bil Vorndick for this one)
>
> Blake and Rice (the first one, volume 2 didn't have the same magic)
>
> The Roches - Can We Go Home Now?
>
> Richard Thompson - Mirror Blue

A resounding YES to PARADISE AND LUNCH... A Ron Titleman production and
THAT's a direction... Follow that road to :
the first RICKIE LEE JONES record
And most of James Taylor's stuff
Titleman 'gets' how you arrange/record/produce classic multittrack
production around a artist better than most anybody

Almost anything recorded by Bill Wolf, this mainly applied to the TONY RICE
records.

Max Wilcox' solo piano recording of Richard Goode Plays Brahms
NONESUCH 9799154-2 1986

The KLR Trio, Brahms Trios recorded by Marc Aubort & Joanna Nickenz
(didn¹t they used to go under the monicker ELITE RECORDINGS ?)
VOX CD3X 3029 1985

I'm not a Brahms fan, honest (not out of preference but ignorance), but the
KLR was bought on a whim looking for small-ensemble stuff and I was in love
with the performance and the sound. A friend (thanks Howard!) thought that
if that's what I liked, then I'd probably like the Goode and that is equally
dandy.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:15:55 PM

SSJVCmag wrote:
A Ron Titleman production...

That would be Russ Titelman... Ry's bro in law...

Paradise & Lunch, indeed... and it's an excellent example of where the
CD reissue can sound even better than the great-sounding LP-- for
whatever reason. Less compressed/limited, for sure.

Chewy
July 1, 2005 8:48:54 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:56:56 -0500, Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> I prefer Ella's natural and unpretentious
>voice and style.

Give me Ella any day! Especially love her with Louise and the Oscar
Peterson quartet backing them.
July 1, 2005 8:53:18 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 15:42:58 -0700, "Vinyl_Believer"
<vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:

><< Roxy Music's Avalon album... It's become one of my reference
>compilations that I can listen to at any time. >>

Yes I love Avalon and Famous Blue Raincoat and Brothers in Arms... The
usual suspects, but I also love El Rayo X. I've listened to it a
million times and I can't even remember if I noticed the production
quality because I soon as I hear the music I'm into it and singing
along at the top of my lungs.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:22:40 PM

On 7/1/05 12:15 PM, in article
%_dxe.11735$jX6.884@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net, "Chewy Papadopoulous"
<desertdrowningpupfish@earthlink.net> wrote:

> SSJVCmag wrote:
> A Ron Titleman production...
>
> That would be Russ Titelman... Ry's bro in law...

Kick me beat me hurt me yes...
Pre-coffee postings are so embarassing...
Thanks...

!