Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WAV track splitting question

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm a bit confused, mostly because I'm not sure I'm asking the right
question.

My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word stuff,
etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav, normalize,
insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a single
program.

Steinberg's Get It On CD did just that up to version 1.1. Later versions
removed the ability to insert track marks in the WAV; you have to save each
bit that you want as an individual file and reassemble into a CD montage and
burn that. Version 1.1 does not burn to my new Plextor CD burner properly,
even after upgrading to the latest drivers from Steinberg (gives an "Unknown
CD Writing Error", very helpful).

Another thread seems to suggest that Nero Burning ROM will do at least some
of what we're trying to do here. What's not clear from either the thread of
from Nero's website is whether one can do ALL of the above, graphically,
within one program.

I'm also a bit confused about the various versions of Nero software. Is
Nero 6 Reloaded the same as Nero 6 Ultra Edition (on sale at Future Shop
this week)? And where does Nero Wave Editor and Nero Burning ROM come in?

Can anybody either make suggestions for software that will do what we want,
or failing that, at least help me clarify the question?

Many thanks.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

it sounds like you've been playing around with budget stuff under $100,
maybe stuff that comes free with a piece of hardware or a sandwich.

any *real* DAW program will allow you to do all that stuff.

check out Steinberg's WaveLab if you're serious about stuff.
June 26, 2005 5:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, mostly because I'm not sure I'm asking the right
> question.
>
> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word stuff,
> etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
> file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav, normalize,
> insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a single
> program.
>
> Steinberg's Get It On CD did just that up to version 1.1. Later versions
> removed the ability to insert track marks in the WAV; you have to save each
> bit that you want as an individual file and reassemble into a CD montage and
> burn that. Version 1.1 does not burn to my new Plextor CD burner properly,
> even after upgrading to the latest drivers from Steinberg (gives an "Unknown
> CD Writing Error", very helpful).
>
> Another thread seems to suggest that Nero Burning ROM will do at least some
> of what we're trying to do here. What's not clear from either the thread of
> from Nero's website is whether one can do ALL of the above, graphically,
> within one program.
>
> I'm also a bit confused about the various versions of Nero software. Is
> Nero 6 Reloaded the same as Nero 6 Ultra Edition (on sale at Future Shop
> this week)? And where does Nero Wave Editor and Nero Burning ROM come in?
>
> Can anybody either make suggestions for software that will do what we want,
> or failing that, at least help me clarify the question?

The Soundforge and CD architect package will do what you need.
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.a...

You should be able to pick it up for around $275.00

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Related resources
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:
> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word stuff,
> etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
> file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav, normalize,
> insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a single
> program.

I don't know of any all-in-one programs but one solution would be a
basic 2-track editing program with the ability to insert markers, and a
CD burning program with the ability to convert markers into track
numbers. The Sound Forge / CD Architect combo that has already been
suggested will do all of that, plus a lot of things that you probably
don't need right now. (although they might prove handy in the future)
The "lite" version of Sound Forge (Sound Forge Audio Studio,
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.a... )
will perform basic editing tasks, and has the ability to insert
markers. Many CD burning programs can convert these markers into track
numbers. The version of Nero that came for free with my CD burner
(Nero Xpress, or something like that) has this functionality.

Travis Garrison
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, mostly because I'm not sure I'm asking
the right
> question.
>
> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music,
spoken word
> stuff, etc. What she wants is a program that will allow
her to open
> a long WAV file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded
parts of the
> wav, normalize, insert track marks, and burn a CD of
selected track
> marks, all in a single program.

Audition 1.5 does all of that and more.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:10:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:

> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word stuff,
> etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
> file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav, normalize,
> insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a single
> program.

Sound Forge

> Steinberg's Get It On CD did just that up to version 1.1. Later versions
> removed the ability to insert track marks in the WAV; you have to save each
> bit that you want as an individual file and reassemble into a CD montage and
> burn that. Version 1.1 does not burn to my new Plextor CD burner properly,
> even after upgrading to the latest drivers from Steinberg (gives an "Unknown
> CD Writing Error", very helpful).

I have also encountered this with a newer Plex
drive with some older versions of various software.

> Another thread seems to suggest that Nero Burning ROM will do at least some
> of what we're trying to do here. What's not clear from either the thread of
> from Nero's website is whether one can do ALL of the above, graphically,
> within one program.
>
> I'm also a bit confused about the various versions of Nero software. Is
> Nero 6 Reloaded the same as Nero 6 Ultra Edition (on sale at Future Shop
> this week)? And where does Nero Wave Editor and Nero Burning ROM come in?

Nero comes in various versions that are actually
packages of the individual programs, for example
I believe the Ultra package includes Burning ROM,
the Wave Editor, as well as Cover designer and
some other stuff. Wave Editor can be opened from
within Burning ROM to edit a file but a new window
for the editor will open, it's not really all in the
same program.

> Can anybody either make suggestions for software that will do what we want,
> or failing that, at least help me clarify the question?

Sound Forge, CoolEdit 2.1 (or Audition 1.5)
and there are others.

> Many thanks.
>
> Dave O'Heare
> oheareATmagmaDOTca

good luck
rd
June 26, 2005 11:09:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:27:20 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>Audition 1.5 does all of that and more.

Arny,

I mentioned in a previous post I was unhappy the way Audition handles
slitting tracks. The closest I can figure out is you must set a
start and end point which is more time consuming than just a "split
point" and also introduces the possibility of setting a point
incorrectly, thus deleting material or playing the same material twice
in the final burn. I believe it was you suggestion to just drop in
ordinary cues in Audition and then let Nero put in splits
automatically where the Audition cues are. This works fine for me,
but It'd still be easier to do it all in Audition. Do you know how to
make track section any easier in Audition?

Julian
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:13:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119806960.200878.299620@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> it sounds like you've been playing around with budget stuff under $100,
> maybe stuff that comes free with a piece of hardware or a sandwich.
>
> any *real* DAW program will allow you to do all that stuff.
>
> check out Steinberg's WaveLab if you're serious about stuff.

The budget stuff was perfect, since it did what we wanted. We don't want
or need fancy multi-band compressors, exotic mastering tools, 5.1, 7.1,
DVD-audio, effects, video, 32-bit, 192kHz, batch processing, cover layout
tools, or any of that. A *real* DAW is stupid for the process, it's like
taking a Hummer to the corner store for milk.

In fact, if Steinberg hadn't broken the software in the first place (by
using their own drivers instead of the generic ones), I wouldn't be looking
for a replacement. That by itself makes me much less likely to buy from
Steinberg again.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
June 27, 2005 2:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:13:08 -0400, "Dave O'Heare" <oheare@magma.ca>
wrote:

>The budget stuff was perfect, since it did what we wanted. We don't want
>or need fancy multi-band compressors, exotic mastering tools, 5.1, 7.1,
>DVD-audio, effects, video, 32-bit, 192kHz, batch processing, cover layout
>tools, or any of that. A *real* DAW is stupid for the process, it's like
>taking a Hummer to the corner store for milk.

Dave,

Check out Audacity. It's free and it's the only thing I've found that
comes close to cool edit / audition. It will split tracks.

Julian
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:42:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message
news:1119834657.300097.34160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> Dave O'Heare wrote:
>
> > My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word
stuff,
> > etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
> > file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav,
normalize,
> > insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a
single
> > program.
>
> Sound Forge

Thanks for the suggestion. The manual, as downloaded from Sony's site, says
that one can only create CDs in Track-at-Once, which doesn't help a lot.


> good luck

Thanks, seems like I'll need it.

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:52:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:3YSdnf09Q4gUbiPfRVn-sw@comcast.com...

> Audition 1.5 does all of that and more.

Thanks, Arny, I'll see if my local music shop has a demo...

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca
June 27, 2005 3:19:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:
>>Sound Forge
>
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The manual, as downloaded from Sony's site, says
> that one can only create CDs in Track-at-Once, which doesn't help a lot.

Sound Forge will only burn track at once. However, Cd Architect, which
comes with Sound Forge, will burn Disc At Once.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:25:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Julian wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:27:20 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
<arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Audition 1.5 does all of that and more.
>
> Arny,
>
> I mentioned in a previous post I was unhappy the way
Audition handles
> slitting tracks. The closest I can figure out is you
must set a
> start and end point which is more time consuming than just
a "split
> point" and also introduces the possibility of setting a
point
> incorrectly, thus deleting material or playing the same
material twice
> in the final burn.

That's not true. Audition supports insertion of track marks,
which at burn time result in a track split.

> I believe it was you suggestion to just drop in
> ordinary cues in Audition and then let Nero put in splits
> automatically where the Audition cues are.

No, just use the provided burning feature in Audition.

> This works fine for me,
> but It'd still be easier to do it all in Audition. Do you
know how to
> make track section any easier in Audition?

(1) Insert track marks as required
(2) Burn disc
June 27, 2005 3:25:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:25:43 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>> Do you
>know how to
>> make track section any easier in Audition?
>
>(1) Insert track marks as required
>(2) Burn disc

That's not how it works on my computer.

If I insert track marks and then go to burn when I drag them into the
burn window pane, I get an error message saying:

"You are attempting to insert an individual Cue point. Only Track Cue
ranges or entire audio files can be inserted."

The only way around this is to merge cues into ranges which is 3 times
as much work as dropping splits and it sounds like that's not what you
do. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Julian
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:24:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Samplitude Master which is the two track (cheaper) version of Samplitude
will do what you require also.

Gordon Gidluck


Dave O'Heare wrote:
> "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message
> news:1119834657.300097.34160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>>
>>Dave O'Heare wrote:
>>
>>
>>>My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word
>
> stuff,
>
>>>etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
>>>file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav,
>
> normalize,
>
>>>insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a
>
> single
>
>>>program.
>>
>>Sound Forge
>
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The manual, as downloaded from Sony's site, says
> that one can only create CDs in Track-at-Once, which doesn't help a lot.
>
>
>
>>good luck
>
>
> Thanks, seems like I'll need it.
>
> Dave O'H
> oheareATmagmaDOTca
>
>
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:32:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dave O'Heare" wrote ...
> I'm a bit confused, mostly because I'm not sure I'm asking the right
> question.
>
> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word
> stuff,
> etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long
> WAV
> file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav,
> normalize,
> insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a
> single
> program.

I have been using CoolEdit (and then Cool Edit Pro, and Adobe
Audition after Adobe bought out Syntrillium) for exactly those
same applications for many years. There are freeware and cheap-
ware options such as http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and
http://www.goldwave.com/ and several others.

I use www.cheetahburner.com to write CDRs.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:05:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> writes:

> "Dave O'Heare" wrote ...
> > I'm a bit confused, mostly because I'm not sure I'm asking the right
> > question.
> >
> > My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word
> > stuff,
> > etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long
> > WAV
> > file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav,
> > normalize,
> > insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a
> > single
> > program.
>
> I have been using CoolEdit (and then Cool Edit Pro, and Adobe
> Audition after Adobe bought out Syntrillium) for exactly those
> same applications for many years. There are freeware and cheap-
> ware options such as http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and
> http://www.goldwave.com/ and several others.
>
> I use www.cheetahburner.com to write CDRs.

I've got Audition ver 1.0 (older than the current 1.5 version). Can this burn
CDs? If so, how do I do it?

What I really want to do is write out a CUE file and use another application
to write the CDs (using the CUE file to reference a single big WAV file).
Will Audition do that?

Thanks,
Richard
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mannr wrote ...
> What I really want to do is write out a CUE file and use
> another application to write the CDs (using the CUE file
> to reference a single big WAV file).

Why?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:31:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Gordon Gidluck" <gidluck@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:151e5$42c0c1df$a2288199$21595@ALLTEL.NET...
> Samplitude Master which is the two track (cheaper) version of Samplitude
> will do what you require also.
>
> Gordon Gidluck

Gordon, thanks for the reply. It looks like you are correct, and Samplitude
Master will do what we want. It's irksome to see that apparently the only
way to continue doing what we have been doing is by throwing several hundred
dollars at the problem.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:48:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dave O'Heare" <oheare@magma.ca> wrote:
>

> In fact, if Steinberg hadn't broken the software in the first place
> (by using their own drivers instead of the generic ones), I wouldn't
> be looking for a replacement.


I used to use GIOCD too. Then one day I made some kind of change to my
system that rendered it inoperable. I emailed Steinberg and they told
me they no longer supported that version, but the new version should
work. So, I bought the upgrade. It worked.

Then, one day I was out doing a remote recording. I called up GIOCD to
burn a ref for the client, and it refused to start until I reinserted
the original software disc. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not
in the habit of carrying my software around with me. I sent Steinberg
an angry note asking if it would do that again, and how to make it STOP.
They said it would not do it every time, but would "periodically"
confirm that I was the legitimate owner by locking up until it saw the
original CD.

It was at that point that I added Steinberg to my "never, ever, again"
list of software vendors.

All they were doing was inconveniencing legitimate users, since cracked
versions would obviously overcome that impediment.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave O'Heare wrote:
>
> My wife does a lot of 2-track editing of choral music, spoken word stuff,
> etc. What she wants is a program that will allow her to open a long WAV
> file (up to 2 hours, say), chop out unneeded parts of the wav, normalize,
> insert track marks, and burn a CD of selected track marks, all in a single
> program.
> ...
> Another thread seems to suggest that Nero Burning ROM will do at least some
> of what we're trying to do here. What's not clear from either the thread of
> from Nero's website is whether one can do ALL of the above, graphically,
> within one program.

Within one package, yes. Technically the wave editor is a separate
application. It will split tracks using markers, but its interface is
not as well designed as some of the better DAWs.




> I'm also a bit confused about the various versions of Nero software. Is
> Nero 6 Reloaded the same as Nero 6 Ultra Edition (on sale at Future Shop
> this week)? And where does Nero Wave Editor and Nero Burning ROM come in?

Nero Wave Editor and Nero Burning ROM are two of the applications in the
suite. Ultra Edition includes these as well as a cover design app and a
bunch of video stuff which I don't use. If you install just package one
(there are several large binaries which comprise the bundle) you will
get just the audio and burning apps.

<http://ww2.nero.com/enu/nero-up.php&gt; shows what comes with what.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:43:13 -0700, Julian
<JulianPAdamsNo@SpamHotmail.Com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:25:43 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Do you
>> know how to
>>> make track section any easier in Audition?
>>
>> (1) Insert track marks as required
>> (2) Burn disc
>
> That's not how it works on my computer.
>
> If I insert track marks and then go to burn when I drag them into the
> burn window pane, I get an error message saying:
>
> "You are attempting to insert an individual Cue point. Only Track Cue
> ranges or entire audio files can be inserted."
>
> The only way around this is to merge cues into ranges which is 3 times
> as much work as dropping splits and it sounds like that's not what you
> do. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julian
>
>

While I really like Audition for recording and editing, I gave up with CD
burning because it seemed unduly cumbersome. You could use the freeware
Cue List Tool to convert Audition cues to track marks or you could use
Nero read the cue list.

However, I prefer to use a neat program called CD Wave to place track
starts and save them to a cue file which can be burned by Nero, Feurio,
Plextools XL, EAC or CDRWin (and probably a few others too).

Cheers.

James.
June 29, 2005 7:46:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:46:44 +0100, "James Perrett"
<James.Perrett@noc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>While I really like Audition for recording and editing, I gave up with CD
>burning because it seemed unduly cumbersome. You could use the freeware
>Cue List Tool to convert Audition cues to track marks or you could use
>Nero read the cue list.

Not needed. Nero can already read Audition Cues. They don;don't even
have to be track cues. Basic cues work too. As long as you dropped
any kinds of cue in Audition, just load the entire album as a single
wav file into Nero and click on properties / limits, splits, indexes /
then click "Split at Index Positions". Nero will then split at the
Audition defined cue points nicely.

>
>However, I prefer to use a neat program called CD Wave to place track
>starts and save them to a cue file which can be burned by Nero, Feurio,
>Plextools XL, EAC or CDRWin (and probably a few others too).

I can already get it to work using a combination of Nero and Audition.
So using a third program too is not any time savings to me. I always
use Audition to edit, so that's a given. I will start out in
Audition.

It'd be nice to be able to burn there too, so I don't have to close
Audition and open another program to burn. I did it hundreds of times
that way in Cool Edit and I really liked it. The only way I can
figure out how to get the Audition burning tool to work is to define a
start and end point for every track and build a cue list of ranges,
not just splits like I used to do with Cool Edit. Building a track
list of ranges is 2 or 3 times more involved than just dropping in
splits. But it sounds like Arny has figured out a way to drop splits,
not ranges. I'd sure like to know how!

Julian
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:31:14 -0400, Dave O'Heare <oheare@magma.ca> wrote:

>
> "Gordon Gidluck" <gidluck@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:151e5$42c0c1df$a2288199$21595@ALLTEL.NET...
>> Samplitude Master which is the two track (cheaper) version of Samplitude
>> will do what you require also.
>>
>> Gordon Gidluck
>
> Gordon, thanks for the reply. It looks like you are correct, and
> Samplitude
> Master will do what we want. It's irksome to see that apparently the
> only
> way to continue doing what we have been doing is by throwing several
> hundred
> dollars at the problem.
>

Take a look at Feurio - I've not really played with the wave editor much
but it will probably work. Feurio costs nothing for private users. If you
already have Nero then that will do what you want as well.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 28 Jun 2005 02:05:38 -0400, <Mannr@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>
> I've got Audition ver 1.0 (older than the current 1.5 version). Can
> this burn
> CDs? If so, how do I do it?
>
> What I really want to do is write out a CUE file and use another
> application
> to write the CDs (using the CUE file to reference a single big WAV file).
> Will Audition do that?

Use a piece of free software called Cue List Tool to convert the cues
embedded in the Audition .wav file into a cue file which can then be
burned by a long list of CD burning programs. Nero will also recognise
Audition's cues automatically.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:00:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"James Perrett" <James.Perrett@noc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:o pss4zgdg9djgvgv@news.nerc.ac.uk...

> Take a look at Feurio - I've not really played with the wave editor much
> but it will probably work. Feurio costs nothing for private users.

Thank you! This looks to be pretty near perfect.

Dave O'H
!