Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
July 15, 2012 12:12:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I had a couple of questions about Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. Is it the actual windows 7 software or is it some sort of piggy back? I think for 109 it should be the full version of the windows 7 software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is windows 7 SP1 OEM version but hear it is buggy.

Also if your building a rig how will it know what you want? 32bit or 64 bit?

Thanks,
July 15, 2012 2:03:43 PM

I think that I have figured it out. SP1 is fine I just need to install EVERY new update there has been to 7. Upgrade is just that an upgrade to go from XP or Vista to 7. Seems expensive for just that, and Windows Full Version is just a version that has all the updates?
July 15, 2012 2:34:21 PM

The OEM upgrade version allows you to normally use the license for one upgrade. You cant just upgrade like 20 PC's with this version. The full version allows you to use the license with 2 or 3 upgrades (why its more expensive). Windows 7 is by no means buggy, its a great product.

32 bit will allow you to use up to 4 GBs of memory and the 64 bit will allow you to go beyond 4 GBs of memory. I have the 64 bit on 4 machines all with 8 GBs of memory

Related resources
July 15, 2012 2:56:29 PM

The upgrade is Identical to the the "full Version" but for the upgrade you need to present it with a copy of your CD/DVD of a previous recent version of windows (vista or XP) to prove that you purchased it.
July 15, 2012 3:35:38 PM

So your saying with the OEM version I can only install it on one computer once and done? Reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be using a donor Hard Drive for a while till I can get the one I want and if the OEM is only good for one install than I'm screwed :/ 
July 15, 2012 3:56:34 PM

no, once you get the new hardware, just re-install and re-activate on the internet... it will see that you're activating windows on *mostly* the same hardware and treat it as a re-install on the same PC.
July 15, 2012 3:57:08 PM

or just use a disk imaging utility, and image your old disk onto the new one.... thus avoiding the reinstall altogether.
July 15, 2012 4:01:57 PM

Okay, thank you very much. I'm a first time PC Builder and don't know much about computers but I am learning more and more every moment I sit here and look at products and information.
a b $ Windows 7
July 15, 2012 4:11:12 PM

Some clarity is needed here:

Windows upgrade is considered as a retail product. As such, it entitles you to MS support for 90? days. It also permits you to later move the license to a different pc. The package will contain both 32 and 64 bit dvd's.

OEM can be activated on only one PC. A PC is defined by the motherboard. The support is provided by the builder of the pc(that's you) For the oem package, you get either 32 bit or 64 bit dvd.

A license can be reactivated many times with either product on the same pc if necessary. Neither type can be ever installed on more than one pc at a time. Most normal upgrades will not require reactivation. Changing the motherboard normally will.
This is not an issue with the upgrade or retail versions. With an OEM version, you should not be able to, but MS will often waive that particular requirement if you convince them that you are not pirating, and that the license is being used on only one pc.

Actually, all windows DVD's are exactly the same, differing only in 32 or 64 bit versions. It is the product activation code that unlocks the home/pro/ultimate, and oem/upgrade/retail options.

I would not worry about sp1 bugs. It is simply a roll up of accumulated updates. Expect to add more updates after you install; particularly security related.

Upgrade Will upgrade in place from Vista, but I would recommend a clean install regardless. If you upgrade from XP, or you change from 32 to 64 bit, you will need a clean install regardless. There are a couple of ways to do this, and the package will include instructions.

As to 32 bit, or 64 bit decision, install 64 bit if you can. It is necessary to access more than 4gb of ram. the 32 bit version will only let you see about 3.5gb of whatever you have installed.
July 15, 2012 11:15:51 PM

So I guess installing a GPU wouldn't affect it? just if I changed out the Motherboard. What if I had to change out the CPU?
July 15, 2012 11:30:53 PM

neither will effect it.. Even you installed a new HDD you could load the OS on it. Only if you try to change the motherboard with the OEM version
a b $ Windows 7
July 15, 2012 11:47:35 PM

umbraus said:
So I guess installing a GPU wouldn't affect it? just if I changed out the Motherboard. What if I had to change out the CPU?

Once you have windows 7 running properly, it seems to be very tolerant of changes.

Installing a new graphics card will not need any change unless you are changing from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa.
They now use consolidated drivers which include all the modern cards. Only if you change from one to another would a driver install be necessary.

New hard drive is no problem.

If you change a cpu on the same motherboard, no problem.

If you change the motherboard, you will have to install new motherboard chipset drivers, and will likely need to reactivate windows
July 16, 2012 12:50:13 AM

Alright, I understand now, just don't touch the motherboard and if I do just go and explain what is going on and everything gets sorted hopefully. Thank you all for your help!
!