what is the lifespan of a sapphire stylus?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 26, 2005 6:36:29 PM

Hello all,

i play my 78's on a 1940 jukebox wich i modified to a neeldle pressure
of 8-10 grams, with an n.o.s ortofon cartridge (it used to be 275 grams
so there is some improvement) i can buy a stylus for the cartridge, but
i'm not sure how long it is safe to play with this needle. I used to
have a astatic N29 and i read somewere
it should be replaced at about 50 playing hours wich is roughly some
800 record sides. Does this apply to any saphire, or does needle
pressure extend the lifespan ?

thanks, Roy
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:38:44 PM

The higher the stylus force (not pressure), the faster the stylus and disk
wear out.

Sapphire has a much shorter life expectancy than diamond. 50 hours sounds
about right.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:21:08 AM

In article <1119821789.090739.37670@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> roy@01datacopy.nl writes:

> i play my 78's on a 1940 jukebox wich i modified to a neeldle pressure
> of 8-10 grams, with an n.o.s ortofon cartridge (it used to be 275 grams

Wow! That's more than half a pound - a very large hamburger, at least.

> i'm not sure how long it is safe to play with this needle. I used to
> have a astatic N29 and i read somewere
> it should be replaced at about 50 playing hours

That sounds about right. But like so many other highly scientific
things, it depends. I'd certainly check it for wear after about 25
hours (if it's not too late already) and see how it's doing. I'll bet
you can still buy a stylus microscope if you go to an on-line shop
that specializes in phonograph equipment.

June 27, 2005 1:32:05 PM

<roy@01datacopy.nl> wrote:
>of 8-10 grams, with an n.o.s ortofon cartridge (it used to be 275 grams
>so there is some improvement) i can buy a stylus for the cartridge, but
>i'm not sure how long it is safe to play with this needle. I used to
>have a astatic N29 and i read somewere
>it should be replaced at about 50 playing hours wich is roughly some
>800 record sides. Does this apply to any saphire, or does needle
>pressure extend the lifespan ?

Increasing tracking force will shorten the lifespan of the stylus.
Get a small hand microcope of around 50X magnification. In the US,
Edmund Scientific has one for around $20. Inspect the stylus now
and then. When it is visibly faceted, replace it.

Diamonds will last longer than sapphires by quite a bit. You can
probably find an aftermarket diamond replacement stylus for your Ortofon.
--scott
June 27, 2005 2:32:06 PM

William Sommerwerck <williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

> The higher the stylus force (not pressure), the faster the stylus and disk
> wear out.

...but be careful you don't reduce the pressure to the point where the
stylus begins to loose contact with the groove walls at high slew rates.
Both stylus and disc wear will increase dramatically.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Thank you all for your good advise!
I made one mistake in my previous message, i don't have an ortofon, but
sonotone cartridge. But i don't think that makes a difference in your
anwsers.

!