bad_eyes

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Ok I am looking for a effcient power supply of a rating of 420 watts or higher. If any one know of one plz post it or email me so I can see it. or a post will do, I know that Toms hardware Guide did a test but I forgot were it is. So plz help me out here thnx in advance.

Ack im blind............

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html</A>

Both the Fortron FSP 350 and 400 models output well over 420W at peak output, and are alot cheaper than some of the others.

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
The highest efficiency I know of for supplies in that power range are the new Seasonics with the 120mm fan, about 80% efficient The Fortrons (AKA Sparkles) with the 120mm fan are similarly efficient but don't seem to be available yet in sizes above 350W.

csdzx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
I don't know about the other power supplies, but I do know about the TruePower 430W from Antec. It may be stable, but I don't consider 700W+ efficient. I am looking for an efficient power supply myself, but most seem to be only about 40%-50% efficient. I would like to build a small network, but I don't have a lot of power available in my apartment. I'm not going to start calling in an electrician either just to wire up more power. Perhaps there are low power solutions that available. Something that can use only about 150W input. I appreciate any help in this area.

Thank You

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Enermax, Antec or toptower.
I use an enermax, as do 2 of my friends. Very good PSU. Quiet too!

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek:

csdzx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Wow, it seems like Fortron is on the forefront of efficient power supplies. I read the article and it was a good read for me. I will now look them up for the smaller power supplies. I hope they can come through like they did for Tom :)

Edit:

I just read through the article and this puzzled me a lot.

"Efficiency is measured in terms of the relationship between the output and the input power, i.e., how much energy the power supply draws from the mains in order to supply the PC system with the required electricity. Our test produced differences of up to 15%. The best efficiency, at 78 percent, was achieved by the FSP400-60PFN. With output of 397 Watts, this power supply required an input power of 571 Watts. This means that 174 Watts must be dissipated as heat."

How is 397/571*100%= 78% ?

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by csdzx on 07/25/03 03:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This <A HREF="http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1" target="_new">SilenX 400 W PSU</A> is worth a look. Expensive, but based on solid Fortron unit.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

G

Good point the math doesn't work out. Some error has been made in that article.