Anybody got Session 8 software discs?

Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
the card's already installed in.

I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.

Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...

Call it the 'less is more' complex in me. PT just glazes my eyes
when I want to just run set up a simple template for a VO with a
couple of pieces of library music. Deck is kinda cumbersome with
the inability to record straight into it and edit, rather than bouncing
the track into an editor to edit, then bouncing it back into Deck...etc
(like, if only it was just Peak with 8 channels instead of two...).

Alternately, if anybody wants to contract to work with me in
designing a nice simple 8 track template of PT (i have a nice G4
dual boot and you guessed it, prefer OS 9 too)... feel free to
contact me direct and talk me through it. I have a Lynx L22 card
and a Digi AMIII card in the G4.

MEANtime....just making Session 8 run would be fun and the main
request here is to find the missing elements to do it...the software
and HD cable. I would be glad to pay a reasonable amount
as long as the Serial # and authorization info would work for me.
(Oh, a manual would be handy too. i don't think Digi Legacy still
posts that anywhere).

THANKS One and ALL!

Best Regards,

Mike in Mich
10 answers Last reply
More about anybody session software discs

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
    > its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
    > the card's already installed in.
    >
    > I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
    > again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
    > cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
    > SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
    > for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
    > sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
    > some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.
    >
    > Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
    > world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
    > want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
    > for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
    > interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...

    Mike, you can get the cable from Digi (there's a "parts finder"
    area that helps) or ebay. You can run the card as a Protools Project
    setup with DAE, the 882 Studio just runs or shows up as a regular 882
    on some DAE/Digi Init combinations ( And I still have one in the
    closet, actually. )

    Runs with Protools 3 or 4, but the easiest thing is google the
    links I posted here for the "end of life user support" for StudioVision
    Pro, and download that gratis. Works great, you can track 8 tracks
    with DAE/Digi Init, and then do a two track mix with the Acacia
    drivers/VST, which will give you a few VST effects.

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES

    Thanks Will, I did find the Digi page for the Cable and will take
    a look at the StudioVision idea. If i did want to run the original
    Session 8 software tho, I'd still like to find a set of master disks
    with whatever Authorization #s I presume I'd need...or is there a
    work-around for that?

    Best Regards,

    Mike

    WillStG wrote:
    > mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > > Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
    > > its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
    > > the card's already installed in.
    > >
    > > I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
    > > again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
    > > cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
    > > SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
    > > for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
    > > sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
    > > some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.
    > >
    > > Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
    > > world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
    > > want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
    > > for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
    > > interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...
    >
    > Mike, you can get the cable from Digi (there's a "parts finder"
    > area that helps) or ebay. You can run the card as a Protools Project
    > setup with DAE, the 882 Studio just runs or shows up as a regular 882
    > on some DAE/Digi Init combinations ( And I still have one in the
    > closet, actually. )
    >
    > Runs with Protools 3 or 4, but the easiest thing is google the
    > links I posted here for the "end of life user support" for StudioVision
    > Pro, and download that gratis. Works great, you can track 8 tracks
    > with DAE/Digi Init, and then do a two track mix with the Acacia
    > drivers/VST, which will give you a few VST effects.
    >
    > Will Miho
    > NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    > Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES
    > "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

    I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
    discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
    if it's all still there.

    If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
    think it runs on a Mac?

    Wayne

    Hi Wayne, I got the Powermac with Session 8 loading (at least initially
    before the Icon
    appears with an "X" and "No Drive" icon in the startup sequence.

    Can't say for sure if what you've got is in fact Mac-compatible... I
    assume there must
    be some Mac version tho, for it to show the S8 Icon in the startup
    sequence....

    Don't know if there are any actual tech people at Digi who would
    communicate with
    me on this issue but i can't find any documentation online about
    it...so i'm kinda at
    a standstill...Perhaps there was both a Mac AND PC version? If anyone
    can explain
    here, that would help me figure it out. I would be glad to make you an
    offer on what
    you've got if it is Mac-compatible... Likewise even if it meant picking
    up a PC to run
    it, (I would need some guidance on that since I'm totally Mac here) I'd
    try it that way
    as well - i would think i could find a usable PC for pretty cheap just
    to run it....?

    Maybe somebody in the know could offer a little perspective on this?

    Thanks

    Mike

    Wayne wrote:
    > I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
    > discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
    > if it's all still there.
    >
    > If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
    > think it runs on a Mac?
    >
    > Wayne

    > Wayne wrote:
    > I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
    > discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
    > if it's all still there.
    >
    > If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
    > think it runs on a Mac?
    >
    > Wayne

    If Mike has a card that fits into his 8100, it surely is a Mac
    version. A nubus card will not even plug into a PC I think, the PC
    version had IIRC an ISA card?

    But Mike, the Session 8 software is pretty clunky. I wouldn't
    waste my time with the learning curve. And a nice thing about Studio
    Vision Pro is the end of life version - with copy protection removed -
    does work better than it ever did *with* copy protection (as in hardly
    crashes.). Running in DAE mode you can still use the Session 882 with
    the assignable headphones and inserts which is nice, although all the
    line ins are -10 unbalanced I think. But it has spdif, does midi
    really well, has rewire so you could rewire VST instruments in if you
    wanted to (from a free/shareware external shell VST instruments
    program), and like I said you can track 8 tracks at a time and then
    switch to over to the acacia driver and mix with 2 tracks and the digi
    sound manager or something and use VST plug ins. Dave Oppenheimer even
    wrote some acacia drivers optimized for System 9, even though there
    was nothing in it for him except supporting users for his former
    company's product.

    But you might want a G3 upgrade card for the 8100 to like 240mhz
    or so though, which are cheap enough but will give you some processing
    power for plugins.

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES

    Wayne, and Will, yes i definitely have the Mac version (being that it's
    already installed in the 8100 of
    course).

    I will give the StudioVision Pro idea a try as you suggest Will. Did
    you mention having
    links to the downloadable software for this 'end of life' version? I
    was checking this thread and maybe i'm missing the links. Is there
    some reference elsewhere in the newsgroups or
    is it something i just need to search google for...? Otherwise, if
    there's a specific website
    or link you could forward that'd be great. Thanks Much,

    Mike

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > Wayne, and Will, yes i definitely have the Mac version (being that it's
    > already installed in the 8100 of
    > course).
    >
    > I will give the StudioVision Pro idea a try as you suggest Will. Did
    > you mention having
    > links to the downloadable software for this 'end of life' version? I
    > was checking this thread and maybe i'm missing the links. Is there
    > some reference elsewhere in the newsgroups or
    > is it something i just need to search google for...? Otherwise, if
    > there's a specific website
    > or link you could forward that'd be great. Thanks Much,
    >
    > Mike

    The Gibson Guitar / Opsode website appears to now be totally dead,
    but some of the users group/support guys have the stuff that was there
    - and more, like the "lost manuals". All with NO PACE copyproction,
    which apparently makes it all function much better than when I had paid
    good money for it... SVP supports TDM/DAE/Protools Project, Vision is
    strictly native processing so you want SVP.

    http://www.fm-music.com/v/
    ("The Vision Infosite", links for OS9 Acacia drivers, Q's about
    G4's/usb to serial/ATA drives/OMS/setups/lost manuals etc.)

    http://www.davidkanemusic.com/ opcode/vision.html
    (Fonts/Drivers/keyboard layout files/SVP4.5.1&4.2.2/SVP2.5 for
    Windows!/Galaxy Librarian/Vision Support files...)

    http://lists.topica.com/lists/ opcode-users/read
    (users discussion group).

    DAE/Digi Inits are at Digidesign.com also.

    Cheers,

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES

    THanks! Will, will give it a try...

    Sure. There is also http://www.opcodeusers.com.
    BTW if you are accessing RAP through google, they appear to be
    inserting spaces in the links for some reason that you need to remove
    for the links to work.

    Cheers,

    WIll Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES
  10. Quote:

    Sure. There is also http://www.opcodeusers.com.
    BTW if you are accessing RAP through google, they appear to be
    inserting spaces in the links for some reason that you need to remove
    for the links to work.

    Cheers,

    WIll Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES

    hi i have the mac utility disc but i dont have the session 8 software.can any body make me a copy on floppy disc.please call. anthony.1 212 213 1731
    maybe we can get our systems workin.very important i also ned the dae file as we all do thanks

Pro Audio Software Audio