Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anybody got Session 8 software discs?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:36:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
the card's already installed in.

I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.

Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...

Call it the 'less is more' complex in me. PT just glazes my eyes
when I want to just run set up a simple template for a VO with a
couple of pieces of library music. Deck is kinda cumbersome with
the inability to record straight into it and edit, rather than bouncing
the track into an editor to edit, then bouncing it back into Deck...etc
(like, if only it was just Peak with 8 channels instead of two...).

Alternately, if anybody wants to contract to work with me in
designing a nice simple 8 track template of PT (i have a nice G4
dual boot and you guessed it, prefer OS 9 too)... feel free to
contact me direct and talk me through it. I have a Lynx L22 card
and a Digi AMIII card in the G4.

MEANtime....just making Session 8 run would be fun and the main
request here is to find the missing elements to do it...the software
and HD cable. I would be glad to pay a reasonable amount
as long as the Serial # and authorization info would work for me.
(Oh, a manual would be handy too. i don't think Digi Legacy still
posts that anywhere).

THANKS One and ALL!

Best Regards,

Mike in Mich

More about : session software discs

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:54:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mike44455@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
> its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
> the card's already installed in.
>
> I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
> again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
> cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
> SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
> for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
> sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
> some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.
>
> Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
> world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
> want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
> for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
> interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...

Mike, you can get the cable from Digi (there's a "parts finder"
area that helps) or ebay. You can run the card as a Protools Project
setup with DAE, the 882 Studio just runs or shows up as a regular 882
on some DAE/Digi Init combinations ( And I still have one in the
closet, actually. )

Runs with Protools 3 or 4, but the easiest thing is google the
links I posted here for the "end of life user support" for StudioVision
Pro, and download that gratis. Works great, you can track 8 tracks
with DAE/Digi Init, and then do a two track mix with the Acacia
drivers/VST, which will give you a few VST effects.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:31:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks Will, I did find the Digi page for the Cable and will take
a look at the StudioVision idea. If i did want to run the original
Session 8 software tho, I'd still like to find a set of master disks
with whatever Authorization #s I presume I'd need...or is there a
work-around for that?

Best Regards,

Mike

WillStG wrote:
> mike44455@aol.com wrote:
> > Hi, I've inherited an original Session 8 interface box and
> > its original Digi soundcard, along with a PowerMac8100 that
> > the card's already installed in.
> >
> > I enjoyed this vintage system once and would like to make it work
> > again, but I am missing some vital components. Namely, the proprietary
> > cable that connects from the Soundcard to an external
> > SCSI HD to serve as the Record Drive... And, the software discs
> > for Session 8. (Even tho it came with Session 8 installed, I
> > sense that if it gets F'ed up, I'll need to reinstall and run
> > some form of Authorization Key with a serial #.
> >
> > Yes, yes, this seems likely very elementary and silly in this ProTools
> > world we live in, but what can i say...i liked it and
> > want to run it again! What the hell.. it was actually simpler
> > for my needs than PT when it comes to bare-bones super-easy
> > interface for broadcast prod. of 4 to 8 track radio spot mixes...
>
> Mike, you can get the cable from Digi (there's a "parts finder"
> area that helps) or ebay. You can run the card as a Protools Project
> setup with DAE, the 882 Studio just runs or shows up as a regular 882
> on some DAE/Digi Init combinations ( And I still have one in the
> closet, actually. )
>
> Runs with Protools 3 or 4, but the easiest thing is google the
> links I posted here for the "end of life user support" for StudioVision
> Pro, and download that gratis. Works great, you can track 8 tracks
> with DAE/Digi Init, and then do a two track mix with the Acacia
> drivers/VST, which will give you a few VST effects.
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music and TV Audio Guy
> Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
if it's all still there.

If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
think it runs on a Mac?

Wayne
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:04:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Wayne, I got the Powermac with Session 8 loading (at least initially
before the Icon
appears with an "X" and "No Drive" icon in the startup sequence.

Can't say for sure if what you've got is in fact Mac-compatible... I
assume there must
be some Mac version tho, for it to show the S8 Icon in the startup
sequence....

Don't know if there are any actual tech people at Digi who would
communicate with
me on this issue but i can't find any documentation online about
it...so i'm kinda at
a standstill...Perhaps there was both a Mac AND PC version? If anyone
can explain
here, that would help me figure it out. I would be glad to make you an
offer on what
you've got if it is Mac-compatible... Likewise even if it meant picking
up a PC to run
it, (I would need some guidance on that since I'm totally Mac here) I'd
try it that way
as well - i would think i could find a usable PC for pretty cheap just
to run it....?

Maybe somebody in the know could offer a little perspective on this?


Thanks

Mike


Wayne wrote:
> I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
> discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
> if it's all still there.
>
> If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
> think it runs on a Mac?
>
> Wayne
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> Wayne wrote:
> I've got the whole thing in the closet. 882 I/O, ADAT interface,
> discs, PC board, cable and extenal 2G SCSI. I'd have to check to see
> if it's all still there.
>
> If I remember right, Session 8 is the PC version of ProTools. I don't
> think it runs on a Mac?
>
> Wayne

If Mike has a card that fits into his 8100, it surely is a Mac
version. A nubus card will not even plug into a PC I think, the PC
version had IIRC an ISA card?

But Mike, the Session 8 software is pretty clunky. I wouldn't
waste my time with the learning curve. And a nice thing about Studio
Vision Pro is the end of life version - with copy protection removed -
does work better than it ever did *with* copy protection (as in hardly
crashes.). Running in DAE mode you can still use the Session 882 with
the assignable headphones and inserts which is nice, although all the
line ins are -10 unbalanced I think. But it has spdif, does midi
really well, has rewire so you could rewire VST instruments in if you
wanted to (from a free/shareware external shell VST instruments
program), and like I said you can track 8 tracks at a time and then
switch to over to the acacia driver and mix with 2 tracks and the digi
sound manager or something and use VST plug ins. Dave Oppenheimer even
wrote some acacia drivers optimized for System 9, even though there
was nothing in it for him except supporting users for his former
company's product.

But you might want a G3 upgrade card for the 8100 to like 240mhz
or so though, which are cheap enough but will give you some processing
power for plugins.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:43:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Wayne, and Will, yes i definitely have the Mac version (being that it's
already installed in the 8100 of
course).

I will give the StudioVision Pro idea a try as you suggest Will. Did
you mention having
links to the downloadable software for this 'end of life' version? I
was checking this thread and maybe i'm missing the links. Is there
some reference elsewhere in the newsgroups or
is it something i just need to search google for...? Otherwise, if
there's a specific website
or link you could forward that'd be great. Thanks Much,

Mike
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:14:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mike44455@aol.com wrote:
> Wayne, and Will, yes i definitely have the Mac version (being that it's
> already installed in the 8100 of
> course).
>
> I will give the StudioVision Pro idea a try as you suggest Will. Did
> you mention having
> links to the downloadable software for this 'end of life' version? I
> was checking this thread and maybe i'm missing the links. Is there
> some reference elsewhere in the newsgroups or
> is it something i just need to search google for...? Otherwise, if
> there's a specific website
> or link you could forward that'd be great. Thanks Much,
>
> Mike

The Gibson Guitar / Opsode website appears to now be totally dead,
but some of the users group/support guys have the stuff that was there
- and more, like the "lost manuals". All with NO PACE copyproction,
which apparently makes it all function much better than when I had paid
good money for it... SVP supports TDM/DAE/Protools Project, Vision is
strictly native processing so you want SVP.

http://www.fm-music.com/v/
("The Vision Infosite", links for OS9 Acacia drivers, Q's about
G4's/usb to serial/ATA drives/OMS/setups/lost manuals etc.)

http://www.davidkanemusic.com/ opcode/vision.html
(Fonts/Drivers/keyboard layout files/SVP4.5.1&4.2.2/SVP2.5 for
Windows!/Galaxy Librarian/Vision Support files...)

http://lists.topica.com/lists/ opcode-users/read
(users discussion group).

DAE/Digi Inits are at Digidesign.com also.

Cheers,

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

THanks! Will, will give it a try...
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:43:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Sure. There is also http://www.opcodeusers.com.
BTW if you are accessing RAP through google, they appear to be
inserting spaces in the links for some reason that you need to remove
for the links to work.

Cheers,

WIll Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
August 30, 2011 4:24:12 AM

Quote:
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Sure. There is also http://www.opcodeusers.com.
BTW if you are accessing RAP through google, they appear to be
inserting spaces in the links for some reason that you need to remove
for the links to work.

Cheers,

WIll Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

hi i have the mac utility disc but i dont have the session 8 software.can any body make me a copy on floppy disc.please call. anthony.1 212 213 1731
maybe we can get our systems workin.very important i also ned the dae file as we all do thanks
!