What's wrong with my Rode K2 mic?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 27, 2005 5:32:49 AM

It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob. Once I set it, it works. But
in the figure 8 mode, if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas? Bad
tube?

More about : wrong rode mic

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:55:50 AM

The pattern selection is a pot, not a switch, so maybe it's a circuit
snafu. Also, I normally don't shake mics, but I was testing to see if
there was a loose contact. Obviously, there's a problem if the mic
can't handle some shake. And, yes, the mic is evidently broken beyond
my repair, so I'll probably sell it as is. It's not that great when it
did work, as compared to some non-tube condensors I have.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:10:02 AM

bayareamusician@hotmail.com wrote:
> It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob.

Most switch-based controls work like that.

>Once I set it, it works. But in the figure 8 mode, if I
shake the mic, it cuts out.

Sounds like the switch has dirty contacts.

> Any ideas?

Find someone who knows what they are doing, to repair an
obviously broken mic.

> Bad tube?

Based on your comments, this problem is way over your head
to repair. Maybe Rode will fix it for you.
June 27, 2005 2:03:51 PM

if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas?

Don't shake it.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:13:21 PM

<bayareamusician@hotmail.com> wrote:
>It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob. Once I set it, it works. But
>in the figure 8 mode, if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas? Bad
>tube?

If it happens only in figure-8, I'd suspect dirty switch contacts or
switch wiring.
--scott
June 27, 2005 3:25:53 PM

In article <1119861169.480432.145450@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> bayareamusician@hotmail.com writes:

> It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob. Once I set it, it works. But
> in the figure 8 mode, if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas? Bad
> tube?

Bad switch, or in the case of this mic, bad pot. Your mic needs fixing by
someone more qualified than a tube changer.

June 27, 2005 7:48:54 PM

If the problem is a bad contact in a switch or tube lead, this product is
highly recommended by me : Caig Deoxit

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

<bayareamusician@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob. Once I set it, it works. But
> in the figure 8 mode, if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas? Bad
> tube?

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:56:37 AM

<bayareamusician@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It cuts out when I turn the pattern knob. Once I set it, it works. But
> in the figure 8 mode, if I shake the mic, it cuts out. Any ideas? Bad
> tube?

Tubes are delicate. Shake one and it's likely to cut out.

geoff

PS more like an internmittant wire connection or PCB joint.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:42:34 PM

> The pattern selection is a pot, not a switch, so maybe it's a circuit
> snafu. Also, I normally don't shake mics, but I was testing to see if
> there was a loose contact. Obviously, there's a problem if the mic
> can't handle some shake. And, yes, the mic is evidently broken beyond
> my repair, so I'll probably sell it as is. It's not that great when it
> did work, as compared to some non-tube condensors I have.

Well your ears may be broken as well as your mic then.

Why not get it fised and listen to it again - if it doesn't sound
marvellous, then it aint fixed.

geoff
!