Lexicon Omega vs. M-Audio FWIRE 410

Last response: in Home Audio
June 27, 2005 12:40:23 PM

I am confused! I am looking at these two as possible solutions for my
home DAW set-up. I don't need tons of I/O- I am a one to two-track
at-a-time guy. I am hearing all kinds of pros and cons for both. I
don't want to go PCI, and need basic mic pres on whatever I get. I use
Sonar, so don't care much about bundled lite software with either.

What I gather about Lexicon Omega:
Soundcard history is poor, but this is supposedly a pretty good box
with good basic sound, decent I/O options, OK mic pres, etc. Only USB
1.1., but driver updates may come. Don't care too much about Cubase LE
and Pantheon (annoying that it can only be used in Cubase, by the way).
Somewhat clunky physical layout, with a lot happening on the back.
TRS inserts on mic channels is a nice touch. Good metering on front at
converter level.

What I gather about M-Audio 410:
Firewire- probably better latency and nice to have bus-powered option
(not that I am traveling/recording with a laptop much). Better overall
soundcard history- core competency of M-Audio? Front interface seems
much easier and having two headphone inputs with individual controls is
nice. Software for routing, etc., seems robust. Ableton Delta- don't
really care since it is a big tease, but might consider upgrade to Live
sometime.

However: hearing bad things about the drivers and problems with having
to have it on all the time/prior to boot, etc.
HELP!!! THANKS!!! (:-0
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:19:05 PM

In article <1119886823.623677.310440@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> lmiller1220@gmail.com writes:

> I am hearing all kinds of pros and cons for both.

I haven't really heard anything strongly one way or the other about
the M-Audio. In general their stuff is reliable, their drivers are
good, and it's hard to get them on the phone if you need help.

Lexicon has a poor reputation for all of their recording interfaces in
the past and if anyone actually has bought the Omega, it sure isn't
anyone who's talked about it here. To me, that speaks volumes.

> What I gather about Lexicon Omega:
> Soundcard history is poor, but this is supposedly a pretty good box
> with good basic sound, decent I/O options, OK mic pres, etc. Only USB
> 1.1., but driver updates may come.

Driver updates will only come with success of the product. Otherwise
it'll just slide out quietly under the door with no further support
than what's available now. This isn't just a problem with Lexicon (not
to knock them specifically) but with any product that requires
continuing software support and that just doesn't sell very well.

You can save a few bucks and maybe get a really great interface, but
if you're rather just plug in and start recording, I'd go with the
M-Audio.

June 28, 2005 1:20:40 AM

<lmiller1220@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am confused! I am looking at these two as possible solutions for my
> home DAW set-up. I don't need tons of I/O- I am a one to two-track
> at-a-time guy. I am hearing all kinds of pros and cons for both. I
> don't want to go PCI, and need basic mic pres on whatever I get. I use
> Sonar, so don't care much about bundled lite software with either.
>
> What I gather about Lexicon Omega:
> Soundcard history is poor, but this is supposedly a pretty good box
> with good basic sound, decent I/O options, OK mic pres, etc. Only USB
> 1.1., but driver updates may come.

A driver update won't upgrade it from USB 1.1 to 2.0. It will always be
limited to four total channel streams of 24/48. The 48kHz part means it
will be obselete within about 6 months. I'm really surprised Lexi put this
unit out this late in the game. It's about 4 years too late.

> What I gather about M-Audio 410:
> Firewire- probably better latency and nice to have bus-powered option
> (not that I am traveling/recording with a laptop much). Better overall
> soundcard history- core competency of M-Audio? Front interface seems
> much easier and having two headphone inputs with individual controls is
> nice. Software for routing, etc., seems robust. Ableton Delta- don't
> really care since it is a big tease, but might consider upgrade to Live
> sometime.

I imagine the preamps are run-of-the-mill, but most important the 410 is
supported by Protools M-Audio edition.

Take a close look at the Presonus Firepod and Firebox, IMO they top the list
in value, features, and performance, really nailed two important
price-points. For example the fact that the $400 Firebox can do 6 channels
in and 8 channels out all 24/96 simultaneously even while bus-powered
illustrates the impending uselessness of the Omega.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:52:15 PM

> What I gather about Lexicon Omega:
> Soundcard history is poor, but this is supposedly a pretty good box
> with good basic sound, decent I/O options, OK mic pres, etc. Only USB
> 1.1., but driver updates may come. Don't care too much about Cubase LE
> and Pantheon (annoying that it can only be used in Cubase, by the way).
> Somewhat clunky physical layout, with a lot happening on the back.
> TRS inserts on mic channels is a nice touch. Good metering on front at
> converter level.

Hello!

I'm having Omega at my home studio. I've been recording mostly 1-2
tracks at time but as I tested there was no problems recording all 4
tracks at one. I think preamp are just fine for me. Latency I've got at
lowest is about 12ms. My computer is XP 1900, 768MB, 2x60Gt 7200rpm's HD.

If you don't need more than 4 tracks Omega might be good choice for 300
euros. If you got more money to spend and you think you need more tracks
OR lower latency go buy something with firewire.

Cheers,
Jere
!