Sign in with
Your question

ALC650 sound chip prob.

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2003 6:05:36 AM

Does the ALC650 sound chip built in a ASUS A7V8X delux use the rear two channels in music playback? My buddy and his dad are trying to get the rear sound playback in music and I told them it is probably not supported unless you decode to 5.1 surrond for music. Any help needed.
Thanks, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

More about : alc650 sound chip prob

July 20, 2003 11:47:19 AM

I think they should always be used... is there some kind of speaker setup app with the soundcard drivers that allows you to set which type of speaker config you have?

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
July 20, 2003 7:51:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, SVOL. Yes, there is a sound managing program, in fact, several, that came with the motherboard sound chip. They and I have been trying for several weeks to get this going (not all the time,tho).
So you are telling me you know for certain that the rear speakers are used in music without special decoding?
Thanks much,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
Related resources
July 21, 2003 5:43:50 AM

I think this is a driver issue. Whether or not the rear outputs are used with a stereo source could depend on how Realtek wrote the drivers. Unfortunately I have no first-hand experience with the ALC650, and Realtek's site does not contain this sort of specific info.

It could also be a function of the OS. For instance if the OS knows there are four outputs available, it may automatically duplicate the fronts to the rears. Again, I was unable to find any info regarding this in relation to the various OS's out there.

The only suggestion I can think of is to test the rears with a known multi-channel source. If you can get sound from them then, then you know they are hooked up properly and that the rear outputs are doing their job. If you still don't get sound from the rears during stereo playback, I would have to assume that the drivers and/or OS don't support it.

If there isn't some sort of multichannel demo or test utlilty that came with the software, then I guess just play a DVD or game with 3d sound.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 21, 2003 5:05:55 PM

Yes... I have a 4.1 speaker set with a Soundblaster Live! and if I set it to 4 speakers (front and rear outpur) sound comes out of all speakers whatever I'm playing.

I also think this might be a driver problem, you got the latest ones?

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
July 21, 2003 7:58:45 PM

Thanks, I will get them to use a game or DVD and see if the rear speakers work with them.
We will check on a diagnostic program also.
Take-Out

!