Odd Memory Amounts 768 mb *newb

msnook

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
Hello all

I would beg of the erudite toms hardware community an answer to my quandry.

Before the purchase of a memory upgrade..

I plan to be upgrading my memory, from the current setup of 256 MB of rambus pc800 on a 400mhz fsb board with intel 2.0 pen 4 and geforce 4 ti4600

i would like to upgrade with two more 256 chips
giving me 512 + 256 (128 * 2)

how signifigant will the performace hit be becuase of the odd configurations. i have two more memory banks avialable with rambus placeholder thingys.

sorry for inconherent paragraphical structure its 3 am

thanks for your help

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i beleive that rdram must be installed as pairs...thats as far as my rdram knowledge goes...i would say that using a 1 512mb rd ram module may cause problems...refer to your mobo manual for more info.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

msnook

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
You are right in saying that it must be installed in pairs, but as far as my understanding goes it is only per memory bank. Which thier are two sets off, with two slots per set, making four total. Two of these slots are filled with 128 chips, and the others are filled with place savers. I will be replacing the place savers with two 256 mb chips. My question is what problems will arise from having the odd amount.

Thanks all

I would beg of the erudite toms hardware community an answer to my quandry.
Who are you kidding? :smile:

Rule of thumb: Use the largest possible sticks the chipset will allow in each slot, up to the OS recommended max (512MB for W9x).

Largest stick in slot one etc. Do you already have the 2 x 128 or have a cheap option for it? Otherwise, 256MB should be less expensive than 2 smaller sticks.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

msnook

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
The system is already equiped with 256 mb.
I wanted to add as much as possible which would be an additional 512 without having to throw away any of the already in place memory.

You might find that a single stick of 512MB on it's own might yield a more responsive system.

Get one and see. You either double or triple your RAM.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i think the question is can rdram run with diffrent sized memory modules...and also can they run w/o modules installed in pairs...

whoops, my mistake. 2 x 256 in that case. Or 2 x 512 if it works and it's affordable. :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO, a single stick of 16-bit RDRAM on a P4 board, hehe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
768MB is not an odd configuration. You'll see great performance from it, almost as much as you'd normally get from a full gigabyte. The only restriction is your OS, if it's 9x, you'll limit yourself to 512MB, if it's some kind of NT, you can do 768MB without problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For kicks one time I put a Radeon DDR on a PII 233 overclocked at 2x150 on a BE6-II. It gave an incredible 3D Mark score, the best I've seen for a PII 300!

When my Dad got his K7 800, I had 384MB of PC-100 in my PII 300 LX. He had a Riva TNT/2 32MB and I had a Rage Fury 32MB.

On some apps and benchmarks, I kept up nicely. Why, I don't know cos both had 512k cache and all that.

Maybe it was luck.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
crash...is there a way to force a unlocked slot 1 cpu into using a multi...the reason i ask...is because as you probably have heard me complain in other forums...my pIII just is not overclocking well...i want to make sure it is the chip and not the board...so i have a nice unlocked pII 233...that will run 400...the thing is that the lowest multi supported by my board is 4x...not good for testing to see if my northbridge is holding me back...

Is there a way to force this cpu into a 2x multi...so i can run bus speeds in excess of 126mhz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WTF, the lowest is 4x? How is that possible? I mean, the PII 233 is SUPPOSED to run at 3.5x!

My BE6-II lost the 2x and 2.5x settings when I updated the BIOS...so maybe an older BIOS would help?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You said the CPU goes up to 400MHz...isn't that 3x133?