Sign in with
Your question

Help! Power Supply / Motherboard problem?

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2003 10:36:36 PM

Okay all you Pros out there..I'm in a bit of sticky situation here. I was wondering if anybody here could help me out with my problem:

I just put together a new system for myself and everything is fine except I keep having a problem powering-up my computer from a long cold start. To be exact, when I turn-on my computer in the morning, the computer would boot up just fine. But when it's getting ready to load the Windows XP desktop it would just suddenly loose power. When I try to power it up again by pushing the power switch in the front panel: Nothing. I finally figured out that I have to flip the power supply switch (at the rear of the case) into "off" position first..then into "on" position..then and only after then that I can power my computer back on again.

What gives?

Summary of My System:

Intel P4 2.4Ghz (800fsb)
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro FSB800 (i865PE)
Crucial 512MB DDR 400Mhz
ATI All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro 128mb
Soundblaster Audigy 2
July 21, 2003 3:17:28 AM

What are you using for a power supply? Brand/Rating?
July 21, 2003 12:35:10 PM

I have an ISO-500 450w power suplly that came with the Chieftec atx case that I bought at newegg.com
Related resources
July 22, 2003 5:42:43 AM

Isn't ISO-500 an agricultural tractor standard? Or did you mean ISO-5000, the hot-dipped sheet steel standard?

Well, IS0-5000 might make for a higher quality case, or even a higher quality casing on the power supply, but it's what's INSIDE that power supply, eg the parts not covered by ISO-5000, that matter. And to the best of my knowledge, Chieftec makes "value" power supplies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 22, 2003 5:44:35 AM

Oh, deer deer deer...that didn't happen to be a Deer power supply, did it? Because those are just plain cheep!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!