Dual HDD dualboot

finlaymurray123

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Can I have two 1tb drives (not in raid), one with win7 and the other with xp and allow both os's to read and write files on both hdd's. I would also pick ntfs as the format.

Solution
Attach one drive at a time. Install win7 one one drive, then disconnect it and connect the other drive. Install XP to the other drive. When finished installing the second OS, attach the remaining drive so now bot are attached. Use the bios boot option (F12 or whatever your mobo uses) screen to select the boot drive.

If you want to use a windows boot menu, attach both drives. Install XP first, then windows 7. Windows 7 will overwrite the boot loader and you will have menu options to select which OS to boot to.

I prefer the first method as it's a PITA to remove an OS from the windows boot loader if you ever decide you no longer want to dual boot.
Attach one drive at a time. Install win7 one one drive, then disconnect it and connect the other drive. Install XP to the other drive. When finished installing the second OS, attach the remaining drive so now bot are attached. Use the bios boot option (F12 or whatever your mobo uses) screen to select the boot drive.

If you want to use a windows boot menu, attach both drives. Install XP first, then windows 7. Windows 7 will overwrite the boot loader and you will have menu options to select which OS to boot to.

I prefer the first method as it's a PITA to remove an OS from the windows boot loader if you ever decide you no longer want to dual boot.

Solution