ALC650 vs SBLive 5.1

FDTzeng

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I just got an IS7 and it has the ALC650 onboard but I have a SBLive 5.1 too. Im just using the ALC650 right now but is the SBLive better? Or should I just ebay it off? I play a lot of games and want my EAX support even if I dont really have any high end speakers.

Intel P4 2.4C @ ???, ABIT IS7, Stock Intel HSF, 2x Kingston HyperX PC3000 256MB, Radeon 9700Pro

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Both the ALC650 and the SB Live 5.1 support up to EAX 2.0, and the ALC650 also has a fairly decent S/N ratio at 90dB. I doubt you would notice any audible difference between your onboard sound and the SBLive.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

DawnWolf

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I'd contest that. The ALC650 is known for sub-par audio quality. It does depend on board implementation too, true, but it's not a great codec.
There's a simple way to test: Run RightMark Audio Analyzer 5.1 on your Live 5.1 and on your on-board sound.

I tested my MSI K7N2 Delta, otherwise sweet board, which cripples its onboard sound with an ALC650 (common for NForce-2 boards, alas). In my tests, I get -60db Noise Level.
Results are here: http://www.shawnbehrens.de/rmaa-results/

FDTzeng

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
And I was going to ask about some way to test the cards too - thx! Ill check it out

Intel P4 2.4C @ ???, ABIT IS7, Stock Intel HSF, 2x Kingston HyperX PC3000 256MB, Radeon 9700Pro

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
According to Realtek, the AL650 is supposedly capable of a 90dB S/N ratio, which is quite good. So either the implementation is not optimal, or Realtek is lying. Either one is quite likely. Its always nice to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

FDTzeng

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
So..... it looks like its safe to get rid of the SB Live?

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Well I was basing my opinion on Realtek's quoted specification of the AL650. However Dawnwolf's post calls into question the validity of these specs. I would do a comparison of the two, and decide for yourself which is better, or if there is any difference at all.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
I`ve used both thru a set of Inspire 5.3s. The difference is negligible. The fact that onboard sound has freed up another PCI slot is to be commended...especially considering there is no substantial penalty in sound quality.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Considering my Live experience, I'd have to go with the onboard sound.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>