Amplifier power, Wright Monitors

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
June 28, 2005 4:05:05 PM

The small studio I work in has the opportunity to pick up a pair of
Wright passive monitors. Wright (now defunct) suggested 250 watts per
channel minimum to drive these monitors. We currently have an Alesis
Matica 500 (150 watts/channel at 8 ohms). At some point we would
upgrade to a better and more powerful amp but i'm wondering if in the
mean time we're asking for trouble using this combination. The
monitors would be used in a near field setup in a very small control
room at resonable listening levels. I know we won't be squeeing the
best out of these monitors with this amp but i'm more concerned about
damage to the speakers. Any thoughts...

Dan Fox
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 28, 2005 8:08:44 PM

Daniel Fox <upryz1@gmail.com> wrote:
>The small studio I work in has the opportunity to pick up a pair of
>Wright passive monitors. Wright (now defunct) suggested 250 watts per
>channel minimum to drive these monitors. We currently have an Alesis
>Matica 500 (150 watts/channel at 8 ohms). At some point we would
>upgrade to a better and more powerful amp but i'm wondering if in the
>mean time we're asking for trouble using this combination. The
>monitors would be used in a near field setup in a very small control
>room at resonable listening levels. I know we won't be squeeing the
>best out of these monitors with this amp but i'm more concerned about
>damage to the speakers. Any thoughts...

You won't damage it if you don't clip the amps.

Use your ears and don't be stupid.

If you have customers who are stupid, maybe you don't want to let them
use the Wrights anyway.

Honestly, though, you can get an Adcom GFA-555 for not much money....
--scott

a b C Monitor
June 29, 2005 2:49:50 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>don't clip the amps.
>
> Use your ears and don't be stupid.
>
> If you have customers who are stupid, maybe you don't want to let them
> use the Wrights anyway.
>
> Honestly, though, you can get an Adcom GFA-555 for not much money....
> --scott

Sound advice. Thanks. I've never come close to clipping this amp yet
so I don't anticipate that being a problem, unless the Wrights are very
hungry, which I won't know until I try them.

The Adcom is going for $300-$400 on ebay. Looks like a solid piece of
gear although it is still rated lower (200w @ 8 ohms) than Wright
reccomends (250w @ 8 ohms), but maybe i'm being unnecessarily
paranoid...
a b C Monitor
June 30, 2005 5:30:45 AM

On 29 Jun 2005 10:49:50 -0700, "Daniel Fox" <upryz1@gmail.com> wrote:

>The Adcom is going for $300-$400 on ebay. Looks like a solid piece of
>gear although it is still rated lower (200w @ 8 ohms) than Wright
>reccomends (250w @ 8 ohms), but maybe i'm being unnecessarily
>paranoid...

The difference between 200 watts and 250 watts is only
1/3 octave.

But seriously, how old are the Wright's?

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief" -F&S
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 30, 2005 2:35:39 PM

In article <dmi6c11aqop1ihhjlm7pnucfatfdb9dl88@4ax.com> chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net writes:

> The difference between 200 watts and 250 watts is only
> 1/3 octave.

Uh, how many ohms would that draw?

> But seriously, how old are the Wright's?

I'd guess 8-10 years by now. They were pretty nice monitors, but a
very limited distribution product (as well as Wright's microphones,
also good for the time). It's one of those pretty much forgotten
companies. Not something that a lot of people should be worrying
about.

A friend of mine had (probably still has) a pair and brought them over
to my place to mix one of his projects. We hooked them up to my DH220
(120 watts or so per channel) without a thought about the Wright power
"requirements." They worked just fine.