Sign in with
Your question

memory voltage vs AGP V.

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Memory Voltage
Last response: in Memory
July 22, 2003 1:11:35 AM

I have an ecs K7S5A mobo. Up until now I have been using pc133 sdram. I picked up a stick of DDR2100 (crucial)to speed things up. After install of memory I get no graphics card funtion. Card is voodoo 5 5500 Since the voltage to memory gets turned down for ddr ram does that affect the agp votage? If so is there a work around?
Thanx for any help.

More about : memory voltage agp

July 22, 2003 1:14:25 AM

it should not...are you sure that is a good module of memory...possibly the fact that the memory is a bad module is the problem?

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: 
July 22, 2003 1:36:11 AM

this is the second module I tried. Both have done the same thing. I turn my box and it powers up but that's as far as it gets. No monitor action or any attemp to boot. Only other thing I can think of is it just doesn't like 512MB memory modules, but it is supose to accept them fine.
Related resources
July 22, 2003 1:52:31 AM

if you put the SDR sdram back into your system it works fine?

That is odd...can i see more system specs...including power supply.

July 22, 2003 2:14:27 AM

specs: mobo ecs k7s5a athlon XP 1700+ 300W psu boxed hs+fan Other than that there are 2 cd drives 1 is a burner 1HD 1floppy onboard lan and there are 2 hs and fans on the voodoo card. but the standard sdram uses more voltage than the ddr ram?
July 22, 2003 5:06:53 AM

so...ddr ram uses more voltage than your cpu but what draws more power? Voltage does not = power WATTS does...that was not my reason for asking...it could be that ddr ram needs a much more stable sorce of power than sdram...

You have not answered my question...If you put in sdram your system will run fine?

Here's what i have to recomend...first off...update to the latest bios...

if that does not solve the problem

Try a diffrent graphics card...

and still if thats not it

Try a diffrent power supply...

I think a bios update should do it though...

July 22, 2003 3:26:54 PM

Hey, did you leave the old PC133 ram in the board?
You can't run with both the older type and new type, one or the other.

The loving are the daring!
July 22, 2003 5:35:17 PM

I assumed he removed the original ram...lets hope that was the problem though...

July 22, 2003 5:37:30 PM

Right! Let's hope so, and lets hope he comes back to read the help.

July 22, 2003 9:53:44 PM

Yes if I put the SDRAM back in it boots fine. Yes I took out the sdram when I installed ddr ram. I already have the latest bios. I think now that this has nothing to do with graphics. After installing ddr ram the system behave as though there is no ram in it at all. It is just not recognizing the ddr ram. I put the sdram back in and everthings peachy. I talked to the tech support where I bought the board. They said bring it in and they'll give it a try with a different brand of memory and see if that works. If not they say I have a bad board and they'll replace it.
July 22, 2003 10:23:14 PM

Did you try clearing the CMOS? That might help if the detection of the Dimm somehow got locked in.

You can't get to the bios right?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/22/03 06:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 22, 2003 10:35:28 PM

Yes I tried clearing the cmos several times-no help. I can't get to the bios because the board thinks there is no memory so it won't initialize.
July 22, 2003 11:05:41 PM

Nice to have tech support friends!

:smile: Ok have a nice visit. Maybe they will offer you some tea.

July 23, 2003 12:19:01 AM

Never mind the tea. I'll just be happy with a working system with 512MB of working DDR 2100 RAM or if the boards bad they actually replace it like they said they would. I'll install it. Just give me the board!
July 23, 2003 2:05:07 AM

hope it works out for ya...sounds like the memory controllor is fubar?

!