So MiniMe is it for one-unit portable field recording?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 29, 2005 1:03:58 PM

I've been looking around for months: for a portable (on-body) rig,
nothing seems to have the combination of a decent two-channel
mic-pre, comp/lim, headamp and decent AD conversion that the MiniMe
does. As long as you've got a portable recording medium.

Trying to subdivide the above ends up being a multi-component rig
that's inconvenient with larger power requirements and potentially a
tangle of wires, connections and electronic mismatches.

The only thing that comes close but that includes the recorder, for
$1000 more, is the Sound Devices 722.

Anyone else have any additional perspectives on this? I have to be
able to carry the stuff on me and to be very mobile with it.

TIA

June 29, 2005 2:38:22 PM

In article <4165c1pc6bm7s291ok58b36vquk9u5si7q@4ax.com> freeme@music.com writes:

> Anyone else have any additional perspectives on this? I have to be
> able to carry the stuff on me and to be very mobile with it.

A few people around here who tried the MiniMe complained that it was
noisier than it should be for the price, but I've read a favorable
review of it from an author who would certainly have mentioned a noise
problem if it exists.

I think it's worth a try, but be sure to buy from a dealer who will
let you return it with no hassle if it doesn't meet your needs. But
give it a fair chance and be sure that you're setting gains correctly
in your system. That could make or break noise performance.

June 29, 2005 9:24:31 PM

Haven't tried the Apogee, but have a Sound Devices 722. If you need it
small, it fits the bill, but it is still a work in progress. I would try
one before buying to understand its character. Sign up for their
discussion board to see what's being worked on and what users are asking
for.
http://sounddevicessupport.com/

I hear the Marantz digital recorders have noisy mic pre's, but you might
try something like the Fostex FR-2
http://www.fostexdvd.net/fxdvd_route/docs/product/fr2/f...
for about $1400. Haven't tried the Fostex myself.

muzikwench <freeme@music.com> wrote:

>I've been looking around for months: for a portable (on-body) rig,
>nothing seems to have the combination of a decent two-channel
>mic-pre, comp/lim, headamp and decent AD conversion that the MiniMe
>does. As long as you've got a portable recording medium.
>
>Trying to subdivide the above ends up being a multi-component rig
>that's inconvenient with larger power requirements and potentially a
>tangle of wires, connections and electronic mismatches.
>
>The only thing that comes close but that includes the recorder, for
>$1000 more, is the Sound Devices 722.
>
>Anyone else have any additional perspectives on this? I have to be
>able to carry the stuff on me and to be very mobile with it.
>
>TIA

June 29, 2005 10:29:31 PM

In article <d9ulgf$47d$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu> louie@u.washington.edu writes:

> Haven't tried the Apogee, but have a Sound Devices 722. If you need it
> small, it fits the bill, but it is still a work in progress.

I've been getting that impression for about a year now (and it's been
out for about a year). It's just a little to unfriendly for me, but I
sure like the package and the engineering behind it.

> I hear the Marantz digital recorders have noisy mic pre's

Apparently that's been fixed in the 660 (and units with noise can be
returned to the factory for modification) and now there's a 661
already. You can't blink.

> but you might
> try something like the Fostex FR-2

I tried to be enthusiastic about that one but it just never really
grabbed me. I just read a review of it and there were a couple of
things that were red flags for me. One was short battery life, another
was that the only hard disk option was a a disk-on-a-card, relatively
small capacity, and the camera folks who have tried those disks have
had some problems with certain brands.

I have the hots for an Edirol R-4, but I can't get my hands on one. I
keep trying to get a magazine to get me one for review and everyone
says that Edirol is very stingy with review products. I talked to a
rep at the NAB show about getting one to review and he told me that if
I wanted to try one I could buy one like everyone else.

But the original poster asked about the MiniMe, and that's a lot of
stuff in a pretty small package. Apparently he already has a recorder
he's happy with.

June 29, 2005 10:29:32 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <d9ulgf$47d$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu> louie@u.washington.edu writes:
>
>> I hear the Marantz digital recorders have noisy mic pre's
>

> Apparently that's been fixed in the 660 (and units with noise can be
> returned to the factory for modification) and now there's a 661
> already.

There is? Got a pointer?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:46:04 AM

In article <3igraiFlgau1U1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

> > and now there's a 661
> > already.

> There is? Got a pointer?

Damn these model number that are almost all the same.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3689&Ca...

But that's for the 671. Maybe there isn't a 661, or maybe I saw it in
a magazine, or maybe I saw it at the NAB show (though the web site
says "660 is a big hit at NAB") and they're not publicizing it.

Anyway, you alredy have a Sound Devices.